How are the beds on the cruise ships?

wedance6

Mouseketeer
We are used to the comfort of a deluxe resort at Disney with the extremely comfortable beds at Animal Kingdom lodge. Are the beds on the cruise ships just as comfortable? Also are the beds Queen or Double sized? My DH is taller and usually we have a hard time sleeping in anything but a Queen or larger. Thanks.

We are used to the comfort of a deluxe resort at Disney with the extremely comfortable beds at Animal Kingdom lodge. Are the beds on the cruise ships just as comfortable? Also are the beds Queen or Double sized? My DH is taller and usually we have a hard time sleeping in anything but a Queen or larger. Thanks.

If you want to continue with comfort, book a suite. The queen sized pillow top mattresses and nice linens and pillows will fill your need. You will sleep like a baby. :banana:
Don't forget to call ahead the night before to have a hot breakfast delivered to your suite :love:

Can't speak to Animal Kingdom or Florida resorts. We found the beds on the ship among the most comfortable we have ever slept in. More comfortable than the comfortable beds at the Grand Californian at Disneyland.
But, of course, the bed at the Grand Californian isn't moving, so getting rocked to sleep may be part of it.

We had a deluxe oceanview room and our beds were 2 twins pushed together. We could actually feel where the separation was. We are pretty simple people (Ex. we have never stayed in a deluxe WDW room), however, we thought the beds were pretty uncomfortable. I'm sure if you got a suite you wouldn't have that problem.
We do plan on booking another cruise for next year so the bed situation isn't going to stop us. princess:

The beds are 2 twins pushed together with a thing on them to keep them joined. Most of the time I've been very comfortable and not even aware of the joining....but on one recent cruise it was quite uncomfortable. It made me wonder whether it had been installed correctly.

We usually stay at a DVC villa, and normally I find the beds to be every bit as nice as the one in the villa.

Technically, I think the beds are considered a "California King." They are definitely bigger than my queen sized at home.

I generally do not find any beds (except for at home) ever "comfortable" -to me. Resort stays (even at GF concierge), etc. -never comfortable to me. But I was fine on the cruise (cat 9 first cruise- cat 6 the 2nd cruise). They were fine. I don't tend to sleep in the middle of the bed though.. so I've never felt where the twins are put together. :confused3

We just returned from a three night Bahamas cruise. We had 2 twins which were definately narrower but comfortable enough. My 2 kids had the sofa bed (twin) and the pull down twin bed. My son was up all night the first 2 nights crying that the bed was too hard. After 2 nights of nobody getting any sleep I finally switched with him. Yes, it was kind of hard but I was so tired I managed to sleep anyway.

I had heard horror stories:scared1: about the beds before our cruise and I was a little nervous. We had a Cat11 and the bed was soooooooo comfortable. I felt like I melted into it. I was actually so disappointed to come home to my bed after that:) I missed my "cruise bed".

I have arthritis-so really need a "softer" bed and brought along a twin sized foam mattress pad ($9.99 from Target). It came neatly packed in a zippered plastic bag-so I popped a tag on it and sent it with our luggage at the port. It worked great and was easy to transport!

Have always been very comfortable with the beds on the cruise line. No issue's what so ever.

Do they offer an "egg crate" foam pad to place overtop the adjoined beds?? When we cruised on RCCL's Sovereign we asked for one from our cabin steward and they put one on the bed for us.

We fell in love with the custom made beds at Treasure Island in Vegas, so much that we ordered one. We both commented that the bed the Magic last week was more comfortable than the one at home. Yes we did notice the seam where they were joined, but it was not a big deal.

But, of course, the bed at the Grand Californian isn't moving, so getting rocked to sleep may be part of it.

I do love the rocking to sleep!

On my last cruise, we had a day at sea before heading back to Port Canaveral. Unfortunately, there was a medical situation that required us to rush back to Port Canaveral so that a passenger could be brought ashore for medical treatment. (Not 100% sure on the exact situation, it might have been a broken bone. Not emergency, but critical enough)

At any rate, we "docked" at Port Canaveral at 11:00pm. They just offloaded the passenger, and then retracted the gangway, so that we were "technically" at sea.

But that night... I really missed the motion of the ocean rocking me to sleep.

Only 6 more days until I can be rocked to sleep again!

I look forward to sleeping on the ship after our WDW stay. It is the only place where the beds are as comfy to me as our bed at home. I have a bad back and wake up in pain on most other hotel beds.

The beds are two teins pushed together and we did feel the separation joiint. I brought along a hot water bottle which I had left in the bed the first morning. Our cabin hostess found it when she making up the bed and told us that she went to her manager and asked what could be done. When we returned from breakfast she told us this story. There was now an egg carton topped foam mattress on the bed and several extra layers of blankets over which the bed was made as usual. I slept much better the remaining 6 evenings. What set this apart was that I never said a word to anyone. This is part of why we love DCL, they saw a problem and fixed it long before I even thought to say anything. The beds are good and if you're uncomfortable, the staff will do everything they can to improve things.[/I]

I don't think the beds are comfortable at all. Whenever we go anywhere, it's funny, because you're so excited to be somewhere new. Then, that first night when we're tired and ready for bed, my husband and I get in bed and always look at each other and say, "Oh, no." The beds at DVC are not all that comfortable, either. The ONLY comfortable hotel bed I ever slept in was a Tempurpedic at the Hilton in Savannah, GA on business. It was so comfortable that when I got home I made my husband go out and try one, which we bought. Nothing since has ever compared. And no matter where we stay, the mattresses are so uncomfortable, regardless of the quality of the hotel, I always wake up with a backache. Regardless of what any of us say, however, it's totally individual preference. If you usually are not comfortable in hotel beds, then I would say it's safe to assume you would not be comfortable in the beds on DCL. I can't speak for the suites, though.

Sheri

We have a temperpedic too, and love it, however we have found the bed at AKL, and the marriott residence inn beds to be very close. Best Western...horrible, most low budget hotels are. It was actually after sleeping 11 nights at the AKL that we realized we needed a new bed at home and got the temperpedic

I usually sleep on the sofa bed on cruises, but I don't mind, because even that is comfy! :goodvibes I don't know how it will be for 14 nights straight, but I've been just fine on it for all my 3-nights previously, and I'm a sofa bed hater!

we cruised this Feb in a deluxe oceanview and had a very comfortable king bed. Slept great the whole time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter