• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How are gasoline prices in your neck of the woods.

At least here in ND, the work is not slowing due to the price drop. Just this past week the oil company who contracted my husband's electrical union increased their work order for more buildings and more workers and more hours. My husband has hardly been home because of all the overtime. I know our state is very carefully budgeting the money we get from oil so that it lasts a long time.

At least here in ND, the work is not slowing due to the price drop. Just this past week the oil company who contracted my husband's electrical union increased their work order for more buildings and more workers and more hours. My husband has hardly been home because of all the overtime. I know our state is very carefully budgeting the money we get from oil so that it lasts a long time.

That's interesting because ND is projected to be the state hit the hardest.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/5-states-most-hurt-falling-135533601.html

http://www.nasdaq.com/press-release...urt-most-by-falling-oil-prices-20150112-00773

I only know that my husband is working more than ever, and so is the rest of our family/friends in the fields. At the most recent report from the senate here they were already cutting down on proposed spending to keep the "nest egg" healthy for the state. At least that is what the news and papers here say, and from what I can tell having lived here a few years the legislature is being very careful to spend the surplus wisely.

Those articles are only stating the obvious - oil states will be hardest hit by oil dropping. Of course. But where the difference will be seen is in how each state handles the matter. And here at least, much of the job now is in maintaining the system, not in growing bigger and bigger. And maintaining is a long-term job. Job growth had already slowed once the main part of the drilling boom was done.

I should specify - the growth my husband's line of work is seeing is in the electrical Union (which services most of the "maintaining" activities). The slower growth in the past year and a half to two years has been in direct oil workers here - roughnecks. The huge boom for taking any able bodied man is pretty much over.

I should specify - the growth my husband's line of work is seeing is in the electrical Union (which services most of the "maintaining" activities). The slower growth in the past year and a half to two years has been in direct oil workers here - roughnecks. The huge boom for taking any able bodied man is pretty much over.

No, it's not so much the job losses that cause the oil and gas states problems. It's the millions in lost revenue that those states receive. Sure, my state will also have to cut corners and won't go in the red. It's the cutting corners that hurts and causes people to pay more OOP for things like college tuition and less money for public schools and state infrastructure and possibly an increase in taxes to cover the shortfalls.

Gas prices increased here for the first time in months from 1.54 to 1.62.

My nephew just came home from working on a land rig in ND. He was laid off along with many others. Luckily he is single with no kids so he just comes home to live with mom and dad. He had only just started the job so its not that big of a hit to him.

My nephew just came home from working on a land rig in ND. He was laid off along with many others. Luckily he is single with no kids so he just comes home to live with mom and dad. He had only just started the job so its not that big of a hit to him.

As I said, rig work is slowing down. But all the maintenance that is needed to keep it pumping/flowing is still needed. Rig work slows down no matter what the oil prices do - at a certain point, there doesn't need to be new rigs set up and maintenance gets down to specialized jobs.

Rutland Vermont 2.41
Burlington Vermont 2.52

Wish someone from our State would investigate our prices. Every time Senator Sanders says he will investigate prices, Gas prices drop within hours even before an investigation takes place.

On Thursday Jan 22, the state started looking into gas prices. Guess what..
Prices dropped in Rutland from $2.41 on 1/22/15 to $2.21 on 1/25!

$1.69 yesterday at BJs and today at Costco, in central NJ

AND gas stations are mobbed with people getting ready for the blizzard on Monday night/all day Tuesday.

Stations here in my area of SW Michigan are trying to raise it back up. Most stations are sitting at $1.97-$1.99, both Costco and Sam's Club are at $1.67 still.

$1.69 yesterday at BJs and today at Costco, in central NJ

AND gas stations are mobbed with people getting ready for the blizzard on Monday night/all day Tuesday.

That's awesome! We're closer to Philly and our BJ's (Maple Shade) doesn't sell gas. :( Our Costco in Mt. Laurel didn't sell it either but we haven't been there in a looong time. Maybe they do now. I'll have to check it out.
The best I can find around here is $1.77. Our gas stations were busy but the CVS line was as long as the grocery stores.

Paid $1.87 today at costco. That is the lowest I have seen it in our suburb, but it seems to be even lower in other suburbs nearby. We get screwed here in Williamson county.

I paid $1.88 at Woodmans grocery store near Madison, Wisconsin on Sunday. That is the lowest I have seen it here. I know prices were lower than that in Milwaukee.

On Monday, I heard on the news that gas prices are going to start going up.
Sure enough, I drove past two stations Monday after work. One was up to $1.94 and another up to $1.99.

Any idea why or how high they are supposed to go??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter