• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How are crowds in January?

Jacoby 46

Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow
We are going January 3rd to January 11th...are the crowds manageable then?

Expect large crowds the first week in January, as many schools will still be on break during that time.
When schools are out, WDW is busy.

After that, January is quite manageable.

Last edited:

Most of your time is going to be crowded because from Thursday-Sunday is the marathon weekend with a race everyday. MK can be very crowded that Sunday because runners will still be coming down main-street even past park opening. The road closures and reroutes also cause significant delays on Saturday and Sunday getting to the parks and leaving if you stay late.

We are flexible as far as dates go....would it be better to go towards the end of January instead?

We are flexible as far as dates go....would it be better to go towards the end of January instead?

We went Jan 21-31, 2015 and had a good time. People complained that it it was busier than it had been in past years, but we did not find the crowds that bad. When planning, I pretty much stuck to the crowd calendars when picking parks for the day, and had good success. I always picked the park that was predicted to be a 1 or 2, and was not disappointed. We were able to accomplish a lot during our time in the parks...and also were able to get all the ADR's we wanted despite not booking way in advance.

I did this time frame the past two years. In fact, I'm pretty sure I went Jan 3-11 two years ago...

This is what should happen: Jan 2, the day before you get there, everyone should be leaving to get back to school. January 3rd and 4th will be dead. Thursday the 5th you will notice more people checking in, but still slow. Lots of people will arrive Friday 6th for marathon weekend, but still not bad.

It will be hard to get around marathon weekend (7th and 8th) in the mornings, as people are getting to their races. Plan to be in a convenient park those days. Not too bad, otherwise. On Sunday/Monday, marathoners will be leaving. Tuesday and Wednesday, 10 and 11, will be slow, once again. Crowds will start arriving for MLK weekend later in the week, but you will be gone by then.

These are my predictions! Also, I did not see tour groups! Bonus dollars!

You are going during a good time, I really don't think it gets much slower than this. pixiedust:

we usually go in jan. at that time. last trip was the 2nd to the 10th. the crowds are quite manageable imo. it has indeed gotten busier at that time over the years but it's still ok. when the marathoners show up, there is a noticeable increase in people at the resorts and on the buses but it never seems to fully hit the parks. familiarize yourself with all the going ons for the marathons so you can avoid epcot at the appropriate times and leave a long gap for travel. every time without fail, our best day for wwohp is a marathon day and the first time it took us an hour longer than it should have in a taxi and detoured us all over.

Thanks so much...I really appreciate all the replies! I think I will stick with my original dates and probably just plan resort/pool days/shopping on Saturday & Sunday. We will have our own car as well, so we can leave the resort and shop elsewhere!

Thanks again!!

My boyfriend and I went last year at that time and crowds were great! You might have a few residual crowds from NYE on the 3rd, but I think you'll be fine! We walked on Mine Train and to Anna and Elsa in all of 20 min (at night, but still).

We went around those days in 2014 and it was great. The crowds were really low and the weather was mostly good. I'd go those days again.

Going the first week of January too for my 4th birthday and my boyfriend's sister's boyfriend's 31st birthday! It's also the only week all six of us adults can get off work. Will plan for race crowds then!

Marathon weekend really isn't bad. I've gone the last two years marathon weekend and it's very manageable and waits weren't bad very anything Except the major attractions that always have longer waits.

As Robo said, expect large crowds + questionable weather.

That was my experience as well. It was really busy for the first week of January until Friday, which was pretty open. Friday night the restaurants were crowded, and the marathon weekend was busy. That was teh last time I ever scheduled first week in January.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter