How accommodating are the Disney photographers?

rubymom

Earning My Ears
I'm mulling over whether to get the PhotoPass CD. I have facial paralysis due to a brain tumor, and I HATE pictures of myself. But since we'll be in Disney World, and I don't have many pictures of me with my family, I've decided to try and get over it just for this trip. :)

My question is this: if I ask the photographers to work with me and help me find the best angle and position for me, considering my face, do you think they will? Are they pretty good about things like that?

Thanks!

I'm mulling over whether to get the PhotoPass CD. I have facial paralysis due to a brain tumor, and I HATE pictures of myself. But since we'll be in Disney World, and I don't have many pictures of me with my family, I've decided to try and get over it just for this trip. :)

My question is this: if I ask the photographers to work with me and help me find the best angle and position for me, considering my face, do you think they will? Are they pretty good about things like that?

Thanks!

I definitely think they would work with you! Now keep in mind you could run into a rude CM here and there (not saying you will or that it will be a photographer) but just hold your ground. You are paying for the service so get what you want. However keep in mind you should practice and determine what you think your best angle would be so you are happy with your photo. Best of luck!

I don't see there being an issue either. Like PP said try to figure out your best angle before so you already kinda know how to position yourself. Have your family take a couple of pictures now and see what you like best.... Practice basically.

Have a magical time at Disney!

I'm guessing there are as many different answers to the OP's question as there are different PhotoPass photographers. I suspect that many will be happy to accommodate you. Keep in mind that most are "professional" photographers in name but not necessarily in skill level. I'm also not sure how much flexibility they will have if you're going to a character meet or other photo op where there is a line of people waiting for their turn.

Every PP person I've ever interacted with has been more than accomodating for every possible request.

In fact, I get the feeling that they like the requests, because it breaks up the monotony!

I think most will be accommodating. They are there to offer a service and to work with you. You can never rule out the odd "bad apple" or just a CM having a grumpy day, but they should be a very small minority.

I agree with PPs that you should practice poses before hand and figure out your best angles, because even though they are called FP "photographers", they aren't necessarily real photographers, in fact based on most FP pics I've seen, most aren't. So, even if they are friendly and accommodating, they likely won't have the skills to advice you all that much. But, if you know ahead of time how best to be photographed, they'll help you to ahieve that.

Every PP person I've ever interacted with has been more than accomodating for every possible request.

In fact, I get the feeling that they like the requests, because it breaks up the monotony!

Ditto. Especially your second sentence.

OP, I fully expect that they will be happy to work with you. You could even think of some creative poses before you leave for Disney. That way you are somewhat ready as well. We always do some of our own each trip. There are a few that we like to do ( <--- see my avatar), but I've seen some very creative ones that I've seen also.

...and by the way, I think it's touching that you have decided to be brave and do this for your family. :goodvibes :thumbsup2

Dan

I agree. I find all the PP photographers to be most pleasant and flexible.

That said, I also agree with others who have warned that not all of the photographers are very skilled. So if a certain photo is very important to you (a specific site or a specific "magic shot"), it is worth stopping and getting it done twice, with two different photographers.

Regardless of how you feel the pictures may or may not turn out, remember that your family loves you and will cherish these pictures, especially many, many years down the road when they can share them with their children and grandchildren. My mom had gained a lot of weight and would never get in a picture or allow her picture to be taken because she couldn't stand the way she looked. Now, I don't have but a handful of pictures to remember her by. And the few I do have mean the world to me.
So while it's great to have the perfect picture taken, sometimes it's more the memory that goes with the picture. Don't sweat the small stuff, and tell those photographer to snap away!!
God bless you and have a fantastic trip!

Definitely go for it! No where near your dilemma, but last time DH and I wanted photos of us kissing in each park and all the PPP's gladly accommodated us.

I've had facial paralysis from Bell's Palsy for about 30 years. (most cases resolve, I was in the few percent who didn't) I know what I need to do to not look awful in pics, and it generally comes down to a very gentle smile. A big smile looks awful on me (and I used to have a great big smile). Agree with the other posters who said to sort of practice. Figure out an angle and what side should be closer to the camera and then get in that position for the photos as best as possible. For me, my Bell's Palsy is on the right, so I put that side toward the center of the photo so I can turn at about a 30-45 degree angle and the left side (good side) of my face is more prominent in the photos.

Also...and I completely get the idea that you hate the photos....but your loved ones love you no matter what your face is doing, and they don't care as much as you do, I bet. Do the best you can!

Regardless of how you feel the pictures may or may not turn out, remember that your family loves you and will cherish these pictures, especially many, many years down the road when they can share them with their children and grandchildren. My mom had gained a lot of weight and would never get in a picture or allow her picture to be taken because she couldn't stand the way she looked. Now, I don't have but a handful of pictures to remember her by. And the few I do have mean the world to me.
So while it's great to have the perfect picture taken, sometimes it's more the memory that goes with the picture. Don't sweat the small stuff, and tell those photographer to snap away!!

This. I have gained weight and am not thrilled with how I look and wore no makeup to the park and sucked it up and had some pics taken one in one with each of my kids, they deserve the pics and memories.

Most of the photos I met yesterday were very kind and I am sure they will help but I agree with finding your best angle because only you know what you will like best and most of the photos are just really CMs with a good camera.

Agreed with everything above. The PP photographers are usually wonderful. I don't think we've ever had one that wasn't courteous and willing to listen to requests.

That being said, our best luck with them was earlier in the day. People are usually rushing to hit the attractions that they want to hit, so the photographers likely aren't as busy. We've had some great PP photographers at that point in the day willing to spend a lot of time doing whatever we wanted.

This is one suggestion we love to do. I ask the photographer to take a picture of us with our backs turned and we are looking toward our destination, holding hands. The first photographer that did this, was grumpy at the MK and I asked her to take a picture with my camera. I knew it, she cut off our bodies completely and just had back of our head shots.

We walked further down and I explained that I wanted full body shots with us walking toward the castle, the CM totally got what I was asking for.

So don't get offended if a CM don't understand your request. You just move onto the next one.

A few years ago, we took my mom with us to WDW. This was a few months after my father passed away and we thought it would be nice to bring her with to help lift her spirits.

We got mom in many, many photopass shots. Some were very nice shots, and others she did not feel that they turned out the best.

My mom passed away a month ago, and there are many times since that I have looked at those photos and thought that she still looked beautiful no matter how she thought she looked. Those are some of the most cherished photos I have of my mom.... and times that I and my family will remember always.

I wish that she could have been going with us on this trip. So just remember, no matter how you think you look, these will be priceless to your family as they remember the times you spent together.

~D

I agree with everyone above. Do find a side or angle that you are comfortable with. If there are lines, the photographer may be trying to move people along and if you have taken a little time to find what makes you more comfortable, I am sure they will work with you!
Someone mentioned they thought the photographers like breaking up the same shot day after day. I agree with that. When we go, I always have a picture of us being "gloomy" with Eeyore, having "rumblies in our tumblies" with Pooh Bear and bouncing with Tigger. The photographers usually laugh and play right along!! Have a great trip! The photopass CD creates wonderful memories!!!

Thank you so much for sharing this. Reading it had me crying. I don't take pictures with my family and my grandchildren because I don't like how i look. Please know you have touched me with your words. From this moment no matter how bad I think I look I will make sure to be in photos with them.

A few years ago, we took my mom with us to WDW. This was a few months after my father passed away and we thought it would be nice to bring her with to help lift her spirits.

We got mom in many, many photopass shots. Some were very nice shots, and others she did not feel that they turned out the best.

My mom passed away a month ago, and there are many times since that I have looked at those photos and thought that she still looked beautiful no matter how she thought she looked. Those are some of the most cherished photos I have of my mom.... and times that I and my family will remember always.

I wish that she could have been going with us on this trip. So just remember, no matter how you think you look, these will be priceless to your family as they remember the times you spent together.

~D

I am so sorry for the loss of your mother... thank goodness for the pictures... they are priceless:hug:

Thank you so much for your thoughts and your comments.

And to those of you who have shared your stories of loss, I am so sorry. You've really given me a lot to think about. Thanks to your words, I'm not dreading seeing myself in pictures so much.

Thank you again. I really appreciate the input.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter