• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How abnormal will I look if I wear throw away gloves at buffets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kandb

DIS Veteran
I know this may seem like a stange question but we have a big box of plastic disposable gloves that I was thinking of putting on one of my hands that I use to retrieve all the food at buffets (large serving spoons, tongs etc). I know some of you might say, why don't you just wash your hands. Well, I will before I go up to the buffet but once I get my food, I don't want it sitting at the table while I go to wash my hands. So many people handle the serving utensil at these buffets and I don't want to pick up some nasty virus right before I eat. Anyone else ever do this? Will people look at me like this:scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1:

Very OCD. If it makes you feel better, do it regardless of what other people might think.

Rationally, at WDW you're in contact with an insane amount of people all day long - in crowds, lines, touching railings, seats, ... In addition, hundreds of people eat at WDW buffets, handling the serving utensils without getting sick.

How about one of the travel size antibacterial gels instead of the gloves?

I was also going to say get antibacterial gel. I have a spray that I use now and I love it. If you have to wear gloves at the buffet, then you will also need to wear gloves on every ride you get on or every door handle you touch or basically anything you come in contact with.

You're kidding, right? :scared1::eek::scared1::rotfl:

I would think there was something wrong with you (ie sickness) and stay far, far away from you.

I do not recall ever seeing any guests wearing gloves at buffets. Staff doing serving duties, yes. So if you are worried about the way people might look at you, I'd have to agree that this would be something people generally wouldn't expect to see. Also agreed, if you plan to wear gloves to touch buffet utensils due to fear of picking up some sort of germ, you would likely need to wear them everywhere, or just do not touch anything.

You are kidding, right? You want to lug around gloves instead of antibacterial gel? Are you going to wear gloves Everywhere like getting on rides, pulling the bar down on Peter Pan's flight? We each carry a small container of antibacterial gel.

I have never heard of anyone doing this as what about when you go out in public and touch any door handle, bathroom fixture, etc??? Their are germs everywhere on this planet and there is no way to avoid them.

maybe weird but if it makes you feel better then do it. but i agree with most posters if your going to wear them at a buffet you should wear them your entire vacation. and besides if you are a healthy adult the chances of you getting something is not all that great. yes we all get sick so there's the chance but I don't think I would worry about it that much.

the gloves are not going to help you stay germ free. The same people that touch the buffet utinsils touched the same door u touched coming into the resturant touched the same railing you touched touched the same ride you touched touched the same merchandise you touched. The only way to stay germ free in disney is wash your hands and carry purell. Even that isnt going to def keep you germ free. Your in a resort area with lots of people, alot of them kids who are filled with germs! it is what its is ya kno? I wouldnt get too bogged down with the buffet utensils! But hey if mentally the gloves make you feel protected go for it but like pp stated wear them everywhere:goodvibes

As someone who suffers from OCD, I would say that is an extreme case even for me. Frankly, I think it would worry other patrons that you are sick in some manner and cause them to feel awkward touching things behind you.

I carry baby wipes and antibacterial gel, but let's face it I am going to a place where 1000's of others with germs are also going. I have to be realistic in my expectations.

If it makes you feel better go for it.

But as others have said, it isn't going to protect you from other peoples germs and what you might "catch".

ALL people touch the doors coming in.
The waitstaff touch the glasses and plates when the serve you.
EVERYONE holds on when riding an attraction...not being sarcastic, but are you not going to hold on?

I say this, wash your hands, practice good hygene and leave the rest alone. The more paranoid you are about contracting something the more you will, simply because your body won't be used to the germs you are exposed to.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother. I would assume that any germs you could get from touching the serving utensils have already made contact with the food you're about to consume anyway.

If I feel the need to be extra careful at buffets, I just use hand sanatizer after I have gotten my food, and before I pick up my fork and knife. Less chance of getting wierd looks that way.

It sounds like a big inconvenience, putting gloves on, taking them off to eat, and then getting a fresh pair out when you want to go back to the buffet.

I know this may seem like a stange question but we have a big box of plastic disposable gloves that I was thinking of putting on one of my hands that I use to retrieve all the food at buffets (large serving spoons, tongs etc). I know some of you might say, why don't you just wash your hands. Well, I will before I go up to the buffet but once I get my food, I don't want it sitting at the table while I go to wash my hands. So many people handle the serving utensil at these buffets and I don't want to pick up some nasty virus right before I eat. Anyone else ever do this? Will people look at me like this:scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1:

Truthfully, my first thought would be what is wrong with you that you need to wear gloves. I would probably think you had some thing contagious. sorry, that would be my first thought.

If this is really a concern for you, I would probably suggest skipping buffets.

Use purell and dont eat with you fingers, I hate buffets for that reson but another reason is kids or adults putting their fingers right in the food Disney is all about fun and germs, can't exscape germ no matter what

I tell those germs to BRING IT ON.. I walk up and lick the closest door handle I can find!! What doesnt kill you makes you stronger I always say!!! :thumbsup2

To the OP, do what you want, but a) I would think there wasnt soemthing quite right with ya and b) as others have said how are you not going to touch anything else the whole time?

Honestly at buffets the serving utensils are the least of it, many people especially kids pick up food and put it back.

I am afraid you are tilting at windmills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter