Housekeeping?

Heydew

Earning My Ears
Hi! I got accepted for the fall advantage 2009 college program in Walt Disney World! My role is Housekeeping and as far as i can tell I think I am really going to enjoy it! I was wondering if anyone has experience this role and maybe tell me some pros or cons about it. Or if anyone else got accepted or will be applying for it and their own opinions. Thank you a bunch!

Pro: set schedule. It's pretty much the ONLY role where your schedule will be the same every day

Pro: set schedule. It's pretty much the ONLY role where your schedule will be the same every day

Ditto. 8hr shifts almost all the time.

PM me if you have some questions and I'll try to answer them as best I can. Originally I was supposed to do housekeeping, but did other roles within the department instead.

Just wondering - do men ever participate in Housekeeping? I can't see any wanting to do that...

I'm not sure about the CP, but during our stay at PC last year we had a male Mousekeeper. It was the first one we've ever had, but he was excellent!

What are the Runner and Dispatch roles? Exactly?

When a guest picks up their resort phone and presses "Housekeeping" to ask for more towels, or extra shampoo - they bring the request to the guest rooms. Stuff like that. I think the role also entails stocking the carts - I am not entirely sure. Runners/dispatchers still have to go through regular Housekeeping training and will clean rooms in the beginning from what I've gathered.

When a guest picks up their resort phone and presses "Housekeeping" to ask for more towels, or extra shampoo - they bring the request to the guest rooms. Stuff like that. I think the role also entails stocking the carts - I am not entirely sure. Runners/dispatchers still have to go through regular Housekeeping training and will clean rooms in the beginning from what I've gathered.

Males (at least at the Grand Floridian- where I worked) mainly did the 'housemen" position which was restocking and putting out of the baskets (linen, towels) for each room for the housekeepers. Also keeping the linen rooms on each floor stocked and general cleaning of the building. Housekeepers stocked their own carts. Once in a while when we were short housekeepers, they would clean rooms.

Resort Runner/Dispatcher was the role that I did on my program. I was supposed to be a housekeeper but apparently when we arrived, they were fully staffed at the Grand in that role and the Runner was not, so I ended up in that. I did go through the Housekeeping OJT class, but never did work or train at the resort for this role, only the Runner and Dispatcher roles. For Runner, like above said, you bring requested items to the rooms and also pick them up. Also do general cleaning of the building. And I'm probably forgetting some things too.

Dispatcher, you field calls from guests, managers, housekeepers, etc...and well dispatch the info to the appropriate person. You also have to do some paper/computer work.

While I was there, we had a few more females in the runner and dispatcher roles than males.

What's the earliest a housekeeping shift starts, and the latest it ends?
If you train at a value, can you pick up shifts at other values (such as pop or ASM)? What about Vacation Clubs (OKW or Saratoga)?
Has anyone who has worked Housekeeping been able to pick up an evening part time job? I guess I'm asking if it would be feasible to pick up an evening job with the hours from 6pm to 10pm. I'm hoping I'll be able to transfer to the Walgreens by Vista during the fall to pick up some extra $$ if I'm unable to get 40 hours at Disney.
Thanks!

Housekeeping starts 7-8am and goes till like 330-430pm or so. Some of the resorts have turndown service, which I'm not sure if CPs get trained in or get to do this, but that goes from about 5 till 10pm or so. I worked Dispatcher/Runner and so we could start anytime from 6am and end the latest at midnight.

Not sure but I'm a little nervous about my housekeeping role. My mom has been a housekeeper for many years (she's trying to talk me out of going), but what is Disney Mousekeeping like, is it as rigorous and tough as I think it is going to be?:confused:

Hi all, I am going to be a Housekeeper for the Disney College Program Fall 2009. I don't know many people that are doing it. Any information I can learn about this position would be great.

Hi all, I am going to be a Housekeeper for the Disney College Program Fall 2009. I don't know many people that are doing it. Any information I can learn about this position would be great.

Hey victoria I know you!!!!!!! (shantel...facebook) It really seems like there are only 3 of us doing housekeeping...that's all I've seen so far.

Hi! I got accepted for the fall advantage 2009 college program in Walt Disney World! My role is Housekeeping and as far as i can tell I think I am really going to enjoy it! I was wondering if anyone has experience this role and maybe tell me some pros or cons about it. Or if anyone else got accepted or will be applying for it and their own opinions. Thank you a bunch!

Do you have a blog/vlog I can link to on my blog? Thanks!

First of all congrats on gettin accepted! Housekeeping is an interesting role. My roommate was a housekeeper at All Star Movies this past Fall CP. I will start off by saying my roommate is not one who likes to do manual labor and so this was obviously a tough role for her. But I will be honest with you.. she hated it. I'm not trying to discourage you at all. As long as you're ready to really work and stay motivated about it, you'll be fine. But it is just that.. hard work. I will say though that she came home with tips from rooms a lot and even random stuff people left behind in the fridge like sodas and waters and even a bottle of wine once (though I'm not sure she was supposed to so you may want to check on the rules for this, haha). But like someone else said, you do usually work 8-4:30 every day so that's also a good thing because you know you'll get the hours every week.

First of all congrats on gettin accepted! Housekeeping is an interesting role. My roommate was a housekeeper at All Star Movies this past Fall CP. I will start off by saying my roommate is not one who likes to do manual labor and so this was obviously a tough role for her. But I will be honest with you.. she hated it. I'm not trying to discourage you at all. As long as you're ready to really work and stay motivated about it, you'll be fine. But it is just that.. hard work. I will say though that she came home with tips from rooms a lot and even random stuff people left behind in the fridge like sodas and waters and even a bottle of wine once (though I'm not sure she was supposed to so you may want to check on the rules for this, haha). But like someone else said, you do usually work 8-4:30 every day so that's also a good thing because you know you'll get the hours every week.

Thanks for this advice. I appreciate any stories and such that give me a better feel of what to expect as a Mousekeeper. Plus, it puts me in the right mind set.

Thanks again,

Hey everyone!! My name is Judy I'll be 24 when I get to Disney, and I got a role as housekeeper. My Major is Hospitality and I have had a few classes about housekeeping which has kind of discouraged me. Like the lady above said its hard work, and I'm always up for some good manual Labor it will make us strong and its an awesome workout especially 8 hours a day. And I have been told you can pick up hours whenever you want and on your days off you can pick up shifts on some online website they have for employees.. so thats pretty cool.

I'm very excited my check in time is the 20th. Its creeping up and even though im excited apart of me is unbearably nervous about the whole experience. does anyone know where they wanna work if give the choice? I don't know much about disney although I should really start doing some good ol fashion research. Matter a fact im off to do that now..

Glad to meet everybody!!

Hey everyone!! My name is Judy I'll be 24 when I get to Disney, and I got a role as housekeeper. My Major is Hospitality and I have had a few classes about housekeeping which has kind of discouraged me. Like the lady above said its hard work, and I'm always up for some good manual Labor it will make us strong and its an awesome workout especially 8 hours a day. And I have been told you can pick up hours whenever you want and on your days off you can pick up shifts on some online website they have for employees.. so thats pretty cool.

I'm very excited my check in time is the 20th. Its creeping up and even though im excited apart of me is unbearably nervous about the whole experience. does anyone know where they wanna work if give the choice? I don't know much about disney although I should really start doing some good ol fashion research. Matter a fact im off to do that now..

Glad to meet everybody!!

Welcome too the club. I'm set to be a mousekeeper too. But I dont check in until August 10th. Keep us fellow mousekeepers updated on how it is!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter