Housekeeping theft at Saratoga Springs

The way I read the original post was that she suffered a loss, felt she wasn't getting any information about what really happened and felt sad and frustrated, and probably was looking for a little sympathy and advice on how to proceed.

And they got the advice...Check with your homeowners insurance and lock your stuff up from now on, because hotel thefts are difficult to solve and prove, and generally go uncompensated.

I don't want to start trouble but why is that everything that is bad (thefts, poor service etc) always reported by people with low post counst. I see this throughout the threads and anytime I see one of these threads it is always alow post like this one with 12?!?!?

I don't want to start trouble but why is that everything that is bad (thefts, poor service etc) always reported by people with low post counst. I see this throughout the threads and anytime I see one of these threads it is always alow post like this one with 12?!?!?

I have wondered the same. Most of the time, I think it fits into 3 categories.

1. The person is truly new and is only trying to post their experience on every public board they can.

2. The person is too scared to post it under their usual ID for fear of being "marked"!

3. The person had some little bad experience and is making up a story to make Disney look bad....aka, troll.

This is off topic but this type of thing is exactly why we stopped having housekeeping come in. We stayed in a nice hotel in Atlanta and left to go to the hospital (FIL was in Atlanta working and had a heart attack) when we came back the housekeeping had moved the safety bolt to holf the door open. I guess this is so they can go back and forth during cleaning. However, they forgot to move the latch back so when we got back to the hotel our room door was open.
We were lucky because this was an emergency trip we didn't leave anything valuable in the hotel but it could have been bad as an passer by could have walked in. Not to mention someone could have been in our room waiting.:scared:

I am not sure what we are going to to do on this trip since we will be there 8 days. I am guessing we will move all of our valuable out to our vehicle for the day.

OP~I am so sorry that this happen. I know Disney is not one to admit guilt. :mad:

I have to tell you (and I don't have a low post count) we had two items "disappear" from our room at YC this trip. Neither was overly expensive, but it was still creepy. One was my husband's watch. He always put it on the sink counter before showering and forgot to put it back on one morning. It was never seen again. The second thing was just plain wierd. I dress both dd alike most days. I had 2 "4th of July" dresses for the girls to wear. Both still had tags on. One disappeared from the closet before July 4th. I thought maybe I was crazy but when we packed the dress still didn't show up. I even checked at home on the one in a million chance that I forgot it, although I did remember hanging it in the garment bag, but it wasn't there.

We reported it - they have us a $50 credit for the dress but still haven't heard anything about the watch. The watch probably only cost $100 but it had sentimental value since it was given to my husband right before he ran his 1st Boston Marathon.

While we do lock up valueables in the safe, what are you supposed to do about items hanging in the closet!

Theft from hotels can really spoil a trip - Here is an idea that may help you in the future

I picked up a new type of security bag a few months ago - and find that it really does a great job on protecting my laptop, along with other valuables when I am on the road. What's unique, is that I have not been able to find any other bag that does the same -

I use a DaySafe 200 - It looks just like a daypack, but it has a built in security cage which protects my laptop and camera when I have to leave it in my hotel or car. The cage is made of stainless steel and is placed between the inside and outside of the bag's material. What really makes the bag cool, and unlike other bags, it that it has a built in steel security cable like the one for laptops, so I use the cable to lock the who bag in my room to a security object. I have used the bag in my rental car and when I have had to leave it in the trunk (which I don't recommend - but have had to do on a few occasions) I lock the bag inside the car trunk to the frame.

The bag allows me not just to secure my laptop but other items as well - give me comfort -

I bought the bag from a website that sells travel safety stuff CorporateTravelSafety.com - They have other bags too - different sizes, some hold more, some hold less. I bought my first bag from them, but returned it for the larger bag when I figured out I could carry a lot more stuff it in. You have to look under the different sections of their website site, each section has different items

Hope this helps you -

In Jan 06, we came back to our room at POP early so we could go for a swim before dinner. While I was getting changed, I heard DH talking to someone. DH told me that it was some guy who had the wrong room but his key opened our door. At first we thought this was just a funny coincedence, but the more we thought about it, the weirder it got. What's the chance that he just happened to accidently try to open the door that had the exact same key code as his. DH went and told the desk what happend and we got new keys before we left our room. It kind of freaked us out a little because we always bring our digital camera, laptop etc. We started making sure EVERYTHING was put away, locked up or out of sight even when just went down to the pool.

I think the thing that freaked us out the most was that the guy just like any other person walking around. He was wearing shorts and a T-shirt and would have just blended in with the rest of the people walking around the resort.

I don't know if this was an accident or not, but it made us stop and think about what valuables etc. we bring and where we put them when we're not in our room.

In Jan 06, we came back to our room at POP early so we could go for a swim before dinner. While I was getting changed, I heard DH talking to someone. DH told me that it was some guy who had the wrong room but his key opened our door. At first we thought this was just a funny coincedence, but the more we thought about it, the weirder it got. What's the chance that he just happened to accidently try to open the door that had the exact same key code as his. DH went and told the desk what happend and we got new keys before we left our room. It kind of freaked us out a little because we always bring our digital camera, laptop etc. We started making sure EVERYTHING was put away, locked up or out of sight even when just went down to the pool.

I think the thing that freaked us out the most was that the guy just like any other person walking around. He was wearing shorts and a T-shirt and would have just blended in with the rest of the people walking around the resort.

I don't know if this was an accident or not, but it made us stop and think about what valuables etc. we bring and where we put them when we're not in our room.

That has happened to me before and it was just a freaky conincidence. I've both been the person in the room that has had someone start to walk in and I've been the person that has opened a room that was still occupied. Also happened with a friend's car - her key unlocked someone else's car (same type car) and we only realized it after the key wouldn't start and we started to really look around the car and noticed that there were things in there that weren't hers. :eek:

DH and I both like to think that this was a coincidence. But it does make you stop and think about how much we let our guard down while we're on vacation. At the very least, our room was a lot neater from that point on.;)

This is off topic but this type of thing is exactly why we stopped having housekeeping come in. We stayed in a nice hotel in Atlanta and left to go to the hospital (FIL was in Atlanta working and had a heart attack) when we came back the housekeeping had moved the safety bolt to holf the door open. I guess this is so they can go back and forth during cleaning. However, they forgot to move the latch back so when we got back to the hotel our room door was open.

I totally forgot about this until I read this post, but that same thing happened to us at then-Dixie Landings back in 2000! We came back to the room one day and our door was propped open. We looked around and finally noticed the housekeeper about 3 rooms down. She claimed she was just finishing up, but I suspected that she was long done and just forgot to close out door. I didn't push it though. A couple days later, we came back to again find the door propped open in the same way and the housekeeper nowhere to be found. I called the front desk and they were apologetic and said they'd speak to her about it. Nothing was stolen, thankfully, but it was unnerving.

I'd really guess that situations like that lead to more theft than the actual employee stealing the items.

Of course, that was 7 years ago and it apparently didn't affect me overly much because I now travel with my laptop and just leave it tossed on the bed. I guess I'm not really the worse case scenario type.

We just returned from BC on the 16th. I realized after we got home that we were missing three dvd's that we had brought along. I know I packed them as I have three emply dvd containers left over after unpacking. It is such a small thing that I don't know if I should report it or not. I am usually very good about checking the room before we check out. Two of the movies were never even out of the case. Nothing else was taken, but I made us of the tiny safe.

We only saw mousekeepping once during our stay. The only other person was a maintenance man who came to the door to check for mold(gross). :scared1:

I do not have a lot of posts as I prefer to just lurk.

It could have been anyone, not just housekeeping.

But if WDW knows who entered your room, and the police have been brought in, I don't see why no one is pursuing this matter. Regardless of whether you can 'prove' what you had stolen, someone was in your room uninvited. Seems to me they can now establish a time frame, etc., and cause for searching this individual.

I have to tell you (and I don't have a low post count) we had two items "disappear" from our room at YC this trip. Neither was overly expensive, but it was still creepy. I had 2 "4th of July" dresses for the girls to wear. Both still had tags on. One disappeared from the closet before July 4th. I thought maybe I was crazy but when we packed the dress still didn't show up. I even checked at home on the one in a million chance that I forgot it, although I did remember hanging it in the garment bag, but it wasn't there.

Okay that is very creepy! Sounds like somebody had a little gir about the same size as yours and thought that dress would look real cute on her! Very weird indeed. I guess the only comfort is that some little girl got a dress she probably loved. Hope she never finds out how she acquired it.

CarolA: Thank you for the link, I just ordered a cable lock for our laptop. Dh's laptop actually belongs to his office, he has to take it to work occasionally on our longer trips. I always worry about how bad that will look for him if its stolen. This may not completely keep it from being stolen but its at least a start.

This has been a good thread in that it has served as a valueable reminder to us all. I hope the OP eventually gets some answers.

This thread has been so informative. I'm one of those that is way too relaxed on vacation, especially at Disney. I can see that I've really let my guard down. We leave the laptop laying on the table, etc. I'm guilty of putting that thing in the door so it stays propped while I get ice, etc. I am going to be much more careful and aware of my belongings. Thanks.

Well, some of these posts have definately been an eye opener!!
Discouraged by the little girl dresses missing from the YC....I know I am guilty of leaving things out cause you're at Disney...I will be more aware next week for sure...esp with DH's notebook!

OK thanks for reminding us I recently got my I-pod stollen at Camp even though i'm still there right now and our cabin know who stole it the kids have gone home since there not there the whole summer and just here for the week. One of the boys cabins got hit every single day for that whole week and there was over a $100 stollen and all there bags were opened and all and the sad thing is it a church camp.

Just because you request no housekeeping during your stay doesn't mean a housekeeper intent on stealing won't come in. Or a maintenance person, or any other hotel employee with key access to rooms. In fact, I would almost be hesitant to request no housekeeping, because they might wonder what I do have that I don't want them to see. In the end, it's better to leave as many expensive items at home as you can, lock up the ones you bring, and whenever possible, make sure they're insured, in case the worst happens.

I am sorry to hear about someone taking your "magic" away. I want to let people know that unfortunately the chain locks and bolts are not foolproof either. This is what happend to us. We had adjoining rooms and room 1 had the door locked, bolted and the chain lock on. The 12 month old walked into that room and pushed the adjoing door closed. Now he was in the room by himself, we could not use the key to get in - everything was bolted- and the adjoing door only had a handle on room 1. We called the front desk and a manager came with a tool and opened the bolted and chained door. That is one time we were happy it could be done and we learned a valuable lesson. Block those doors really well.

I have wondered the same. Most of the time, I think it fits into 3 categories.

1. The person is truly new and is only trying to post their experience on every public board they can.

2. The person is too scared to post it under their usual ID for fear of being "marked"!

3. The person had some little bad experience and is making up a story to make Disney look bad....aka, troll.

I too think it is strange that the OP has posted back because the posts here have been very supporting. You would think they would acknowledge the posts in some way. Strange. :confused3

The OP may not have been back online. :confused3

Hate to think about the ugliness of thieves when planning a trip to our happy place, but it is a great reality check.

Sorry to everyone who has had things stolen. Really sucks the pixie dust right out of you:headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter