Housekeeping @ The Wilderness Lodge and Villas

askmickey

Earning My Ears
Hi All
I'd Like to start a thread on your opinions, both positive and negative on the Housekeeping ( Lodgekeeping ) at Disneys Wilderness Lodge and Villas. As most of you know me from the front desk, I have an opportunity to also assist the Housekeeping Department..I would love any and all feedback, complaints, suggestions, situations that you have had, challenges, over the top service...etc..It would be a great learning opportunity for me, as well as a greater understanding of what you expect. Thanking You in advance for helping me....I will answer all question and comment on all situations....

Overall I have no complaints about the WLV, BUT the last time we stayed (end of June-mid July) we found that the vaccume had not been run before we cheked in. While it was not a huge deal, I just ran it myself, I would have been embarassed if I had brought a guest with me after bragging about how great it was there! Hopefully when we check in on April 13th we wont have that experience.

We just stayed at WL Feb 8-14 and last June also. Both times I thought housekeeping did a fantastic job. We got towel animals a few times and my kids were thrilled. I think that our housekeeper noticed that I was saving the soap and shampoo because one day she left a lot. We were vacationing with some friends who had never been to DW before and their housekeeper really did some great arrangements in their room with towel animals and the stuffed animals they had bought. They loved it. They are already planning their next trip back to WL. I think the housekeeping staff at WL is great! Thank you for all you do!

We had no complaints whatsoever about Housekeeping at WL. They did a great job and some mornings we would pass the lady who cleaned our room and she was always very sweet and friendly. On the weekend days we were there we got the towel and washcloth animals and my "almost grown" kids were so surprised about it. They had never heard of doing this before. Now, the transportation there was another story. Not so magical.

We have always had great lodgekeeping at the VWL. Only one time we had to call them because of some questionable something or other :( on the bedspread when we checked in. They came right away and changed everything out.

I have nothing but good things to say about mousekeeping at the WL!

She did an excellent job, and didn't seem to miss a thing.

And we got towel animals too!

Last August was our first trip home to a one bedroom unit at VWL. After a not-great start to our trip at AKL, it was a pleasure to arrive at WL.

Checkin was wonderful. Friendly and helpful. When our room was ready in the early afternoon, we entered to be greeted by a spotless room with 'towel art' in the shape of a Mickey Head and the word, "HI" on the Livingroom floor. Being our first trip 'home' we were very impressed and pleased. The handtowels in the kitchen were folded to look like 'bows' on the stove. These little touches made VWL our instant favorite. (We checked in to BCV the next week, but no extra touches, and it made a real difference in how we perceived the resort.)

Those few minutes that Mousekeeping takes to add a special touch REALLY increase the magic for us. (And I know it increased the tips we left for them as well!) ;)

I wish all mousekeeping staff understood this, but that isn't the case. I think it really depends on the individual that is assigned to clean your room.

Great Question,

We just got back from the WL. We were there from the Feb 9 - 15. We had the best housekeeper. We were on the 5th floor, North Wing (I think). We also got washcloth friends everyday. My kids loved them!!! I have nothing but praise for the hard working mousekeepers at the lodge. We loved it so much, we have already booked a return visit. Thanks for making our visit magical!!

5-6 visits to WL and 2 in VWL and I can't think of any real problem or issue. A few times we found 'unrequested' items in the room (ie, a crib!!), but I don't consider that a problem.

It was very special to have towel animals in WL and find our sunglasses on the animals -- too cute! I can see that not ever staff member has the time to do this every day.

Having read some posts from DVC members about mysterious calls at other DVC resorts that come early in the morning on check out day, I'll say that this practice would make me very, very angry. Whether the mousekeeping supervisors are participating in this or encouraging it, or whether overzealous mousekeepers are responsible, it would have to be one of the worst things I can imagine (next to dirty rooms).

We had a great stay at another DVC property and on the morning of check out, the mousekeeper knocked at 9AM to see when we were leaving and had a basket of fresh linens with her. I had put a Do Not Disturb sign up, but it seemed to be laying on the ground, as if it had been blown off the door handle by the wind (????) She was very friendly, but proceeded to chat away about the next guests who were arriving early, so she wouldn't be able to get that room ready for them if we weren't leaving until 11AM. That was quite irritating, but I quickly tuned her out because she was pleasant and I knew that we were entitled to be in the room until 11. It was a little silly for her to act as if there was really an attempt to get a room ready early, since we all know nothing is guaranteed until 4 PM.

Hi All
Wow, seven responses and for the most part they were positive....I hope when the Villa floor was not vacumned, that you called to speak to a manager?...
I have not heard of housekeeping or front desk calling to see if a guest was out of their room, unless it was after 11am, at that point the concern is getting the room ready for the next guest. I hope that if this does happen prior to 11 am, one would call to speak to a manager. I also would like to make a suggestion, if you will be staying in your room up until 11 am and do not want to be interrupted, please place the do not disturb sign on the door ( I realize some fall on the ground ), The Housekeeper starts at 8am and tries to obtain some kind of schedule with checkouts, stayovers and the like..When I stay at a Hotel, I always utilize the DND sign ( I learned the hard way )..BUT please remove it when you leave...
I LOVE the towel animals and the arranging of stuffed animals, It is such a personal touch..Please write your houskeeper a note, They love that..After all, everyone appreciates praise...
Looking forward to more comments, suggestion, complaints, etc...I'll share in the future some situations that were justified as well as unreasonable, if you like..

Have a Magical Day

Our housekeeper did good job. She was a little spacey and left some pink cleaning solution on the back of the toilet and she did forget to empty a full garbage can one day. Other than that I could tell she did a good job cleaning, and she left towel animals (our first time in 5 trips to WDW). We did tip her and leave her a thank you note. We would frequently see her in the hall and she would make friendly conversation with us:D

We have also had a good experience with Lodgekeeping. On both of our trips, our rooms were clean and orderly. We did not get any towel animals, but she did arrange the huge amount of stuffed animals that my girls bring with us. It is always nice to come back to the room and have that personal touch. Please tell them to keep up the good work!

We were at WL late last year and found the housekeeping to be great! As a matter of fact, since we have become so accustomed to everything being so great at WL and all the other on-property resorts, we barely noticed! Maybe that's the reason we NEVER stay off-property anymore.

My wife is 31 years old (I can say that since she won't be reading this) and every time we visit, she almost cries at the sight of the towel animals. Of course, when we have to leave (that infamous "last day") she always cries.

askmickey:

How wonderful that a CM at WL posts here to help keep on top of her job. It's people like you that keep people like me coming back year after year.

I have had nothing but wonderful experiences with lodgekeeping at WL. The CMs have always been helpful and extremely friendly.

Thanks for being a great CM !!!

WL was the last resort we stayed at (unfortunately over a year ago). I can't recall ever having any problems with housekeeping in any of the resorts we have stayed in. (Contemp, GF, AsSp, AKL, WL and Poly -- ok, at the Poly I didn't feel the housekeeping was that great during our stay, but that's off this topic). I think the extra touches that mousekeeping does keeps guests smiles bright and are certainly appreciated. I have never had/seen any of these wonderous towel animals, but the way people rave over them -- Mousekeeping must be doing something super right! I can say that there's nothing that brings a smile more than walking in your room and seeing stuffed animals watching tv (remote in hand), taking a nap with my hat over their eyes, or even dressed for a Toga party. Again, I have not been to the WL since summer 2001 and I still remember these things! Obviously mousekeeping made quite an impression. And I hope I made a good impression on them as well -- I always try to leave a daily thank you whether it be a note or a tip envelop.

Perhaps you might print some of these comments out and show them to the staff. Like I said, over a year later and I still remember the wonderful things that the WL mousekeeper did for us...now that's worth noting!

We have never stayed at the Villas but must say that each of our stays at the Lodge we have had great housekeeping. Thanks so much for caring to ask. I do wish I had known who you were when we stayed in December as I thought I knew most of the front desk folks by name. I would have loved to have said "hi" to you........ Have a great day.

Our group had 4 rooms in the Lodge and one in the Villas during Christmas week. Housekeeping in the Lodge was great. It was almost as if they watched to see us leave, sneak in and clean and be done before we returned. My 83 yo DM (her first time at Disney) giggled over the towel animals.

I can't say enough good things about our mousekeeper during our stay! We got our first towels animals, almost a new one every day. The room was always spotless and she even stopped by several times to check and make sure everything was ok. She even went so far as to stop in on the morning we left to wish us a safe trip home and to tell us how much she enjoyed the notes we left now and then.

We were there at Christmas and the parks were swamped, often with pushy, rude people! Several times we came back to the room for a break and I would be in a really bad mood after dealing with the huge crowds. One step into our room and seeing yet another towel animal set up with stuffed toys in such funny settings always put a smile on my face and made me forget the unpleasantness I might have experienced! I hope housekeeping realizes just what a difference these small touches can make.

It's not often that the housekeeper in a hotel is so good that it becomes one of your best vacation memories! It could only happen at DisneyWorld! :)

Sorry I have to break the trend of positive comments. We visited from Feb 2-8, 6th floor, south. Floor was not clean the first few days, some dirty glassess not removed, left a dirty washcloth on side of tub covered with blue gel (first haircut for DD), and did not wipe the bathroom down a few days. Just a lot of little things where the mousekeeper was not paying attention to their job. Interestingly, we had a change in mousekeeper the last few days of our stay and the room was very, very clean; a complete turnaround from the previous person. We attributed it to one person not doing a good job and not really a reflection of the WL.

We did notice that Mousekeeping did not keep the room door open during the cleaning. I recall in CR they did as well as many other hotels I have visited in my travels.

We did have a great stay at WK and would highly recommend it. Stephan in the bar was an incredible server!!! Beautiful resort.

Hi Alll...Thanks for the report on your trip point and shoot, I do apologize for your first few days..I do have a question though, you made a comment that the door wasn't opened when the housekeeper was in your room, do you mean not propped open or was he/she in there with the door completely closed..When I was trained I was informed that the door could not be propped open with say a vaccumn, but it was appropriate that the security latch be between the door and frame, leaving the door ajar...

Have a Magical Day........

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter