House training advice please

mickeyminnie

happenin' chick<br><font color=blue>Rice Krispies
I have a nearly 5 month old Shih Tzu who is slowly potty training, he has the pee part down, but not the pooping. He doesn't indicate when he needs to go, it is more I just guess, obviously when he sniffs around in circles I know he needs to go, and I know that it is generally shortly after he eats and when he comes out of the kennel or wakes up. But how do I get him to indicate when he needs to go.

Also he will putz around outside and sniff and eat bark and stuff, but not poop, but then he will come in and poop on the carpet in a few minutes. He will generally pee when he is doing the putzy part, but not poop, even when I know he should be going, just got up time.

Help, I have heard little dogs take longer, but geesh this is hard.

Sounds like you're on the right track, just takes time. One thing you can do is to tie a bell to the door and when you let him out ring the bell and soon he'll catch on and ring it himself.

Also when he does go out and does his bidness praise the heck out of him for going outside.

Good Luck!

:lmao: Welcome to the world of Shih-Tzu parenting! Ours is three now, and pretty much it's all a control issue with him. He controls us. He also is a walker, ie, he walks and poops at the same time. He can start out on the mat but frequently walks off of it. So much fun :rotfl2: . Also walks around for 30 minutes outside and then comes in to do #2. He'll pee all day long on a tree, the trash cans, tires, etc and will use the mat for that but poop is an issue with him. Only place he'll poop outside, every time is when we arrive at the vet's office :lmao:

that is not encouraging :guilty:

guess we will just have to keep on, snow will be falling here soon, and that will complicate things even more.

I think I will try the bells

Two words.......Crate Training. That is one link but if you Google it you can find many more. We have had 4 shelties and swear by crate training.

Off to don my flame proof suit.

We have a miniature dachshund (8 months) and they are also notorious for being hard to train. Every time I think she is trained we have another accident! I tried leaving her out of her crate the other night and she had a poo right by the door... which I guess means she wanted to go out! We also have the little bell which I just started because she is small and I don't want her to bark at me whens he wants out. She does not seem to "get" the bell idea yet but maybe in time!!!! I do believe in crate training though. She likes her crate and when the door is open will go in on her own to sleep but she prefers the door open! :) Good luck with it! Deb

My Shih Tzu finally trained almost 100% at age 1.5. They are SO HARD to train. You know what trained him finally? Another dog. We got a puppy when he was a year old and that puppy was smart and trained fast. He taught our Shih Tzu what he was supposed to be doing!

Even so, he's 2.5 now and still has accidents on occasion though very rarely.

We did it all - umbillical method to save my carpet, crating, treats, walks, praising, key word, etc. It still took 1.5 years and another dog to get him trained.

Just takes lots of patience... and time. Be consistent with what you're doing and I think he'll finally catch on.

Here's something you can try, it got my pup over the peeing problem.

When he goes outside, give him a piece of a milkbone. Preferably grab it as you go outside so you can give it on the spot. Otherwise on the way back inside. Took my guy a week or so to get it, but he did.

Had the same issues with my schnoodle. I took her out on a schedule and used crate training. I swear by crate training!

I can relate! I have a 8 week old Golden retriever that I am housebreaking. we have had him less than a week but its going well so far.... :rolleyes1

I also have a 13 year old shih-tzu and I remember all too well his housebreaking problems. he would poop outside but pee inside! :rotfl2:
I know some of the other posters have had the opposite problem. :)
Shih-Tzu's are very headstrong (stubborn) - or at least mine is!

I don't really have any advice, just wanted you to know I feel your frustration! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter