• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

hotwire ????

anna2001

Earning My Ears
I know several people have used Priceline for special deals...has anyone used hotwire.com??
I hesitate to be charged for an unknown hotel or flight., but if the deals are as good as promoted by the website I suppose I could throw caution to the wind (but man is that ever against my nature....any words of wisdom passed along would be most appreciated.
Thanks Anna

I used hotwire for our trip last year and couldn't have been happier. I have only used it for a hotel reservation, not for flights, but it got me a GREAT rate.

We chose to look at hotels in the Disney World Area (you could expand by looking at Kissimmee or other areas too, but they seemed awfully spread out...) and ended up staying at the DoubleTree Club across from Crossroads in Lake Buena Vista (just 6 blocks from DD!) for $13 for the night!!! The price we were given was $26 per night, but there was some bonus money listed on the informed bidding site (www.biddingfortravel.com). There was a lower star hotel that would have been free, but we decided to shell out the extra $13 for a two star.

By the way, I can't say enough about what a great hotel this is!!! The rooms were bright and a little cartooney in design (think Alice in Wonderland), the staff was as kind and generous as any CM @ Disney and it was just plain fun. :earsboy:

Okay, it sounds good but allow me to explain what I THINK I understand...with Priceline it is a guessing game whether or not your bid goes though and where you'd need up.....and on hotwire you tell them what you want and they respond with the deal of the day (give you the price) but in both cases it is only AFTER you've accepted the quoted price that the hotel name and location is revealed....is that correct????
I did spend time on the Priceline website and the hotel rating system seemed a bit shaky.....maybe it was just me....do you know if any disappointments with hotwire???? Has anyone had the price questioned when checking in???
Thanks so much for the help.....I planning a big trip to universal studios as a grad gift for my daughter (high school) and myself (nursing) and want everything perfect...Thanks

Hotwire works like this:

*you go to www.hotwire.com and register
*you enter the perameters of your vacation (Like, Orlando--June 6-12--area=WDW/LBV)
*you are then directed to a page that says they are looking into your request. This usually takes 1-2 minutes.
*The final results pop up. The screen will list the ratings of hotels, the price per night, but not the actual hotel name. It will end up looking like this:

****--$176
***.5--$79
***--$56
**.5--$33
**--$26
*--$13

*You have one hour to respond and select one of the deals they have offered. If you choose to, it is a simple matter of paying by credit card. If not, no big deal. You can try another search with other perameters.

I don't know of anyone who has had a bad experience. Really I only know of me and my FIL using it, and we both had good luck (I don't know what his specific results were, but he said it worked great, I don't know if he has used it again.)

As with everything else, there are some warnings.

*Hotel star ratings are probably overstated. In looking through my records, the Doubletree Club was a 3.5 star hotel. While it was nice, it wasn't what I would consider three stars. I would shy away from 1 stars (personal preference), and when I have done searches, the 4 star hotels are ALWAYS overpriced (you could get better rates by calling around or doing some research on the net.) A mid-price hotel would probably be fine.

*Personally, I would hesitate to make reservations for more than one or two nights. Since you don't KNOW what you are paying for, it makes me leary to plan a whole vacation around a hotel that may not be what I need.

*Buyer beware--you get what you pay for. While there are great deals to be had, and I don't doubt Hotwire's stability as a company, you will not get the Four Seasons for $10 per night. Keep in mind there are deals to be had, but if it seems too good to be true....

I hope this helps!! You are sure to have a great time!
:jester:

Thanks for the insight...it never occured to me NOT to book more than a night or two....that would be the safer mode....most of the hotels I've checked into were 3 stars...i've seen some
4 stars that are so busy "being hi-class" that the service stinks and everything is overpriced.
Thanks again..anna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter