Hotter than Hades - a Halloweentime 2015 trip report (finished 12/6)

No, I never saw the duck. Well I saw him - in that group photo and when he walked past me. But I never got a picture. Seeing my trip overall was almost three weeks and I was at the parks most of the time that's a bit ridiculous. I love Halloween, don't get me wrong. But not finding a pretty common character like Donald... never thought that would be possible.

I'll still be posting the last two installments of this - still duckless though. :(

Day 20: Kickstarter

This is going to be a really short part - not many pictures to post and not much interesting (well for you guys :D) to tell.

If you've been following from the start then you'll remember the T guys and that album release. Dan had raised some money for his project through a Kickstarter campaign, and thanks to Miss JJ making me aware of that I had decided to become a backer.

If you don't know Kickstarter: it's a crowdfunding platform. Depending on the amount you back a project with you get certain rewards. Seeing this was about an album I got a CD, some other album related goodies and the biggest part of the reward... a day at the park.

When I hang out with people the number of pictures I take decreases anyway, but in this case it went down pretty drastically. It just wasn't appropriate. Okay, it didn't feel appropriate. Maybe I'm weird.

We did a pretty normal day - breakfast at Starbucks. Went to see the pixies. Went on Buzz.

JJ tagged along, so for a change I got a ride shot. :D

One thing out of the ordinary though:

Yes. This ride chicken went on the Teacups for the first time in 5 years. And I learned one thing... do never let a guy do the spinning. :D I survived, albeit barely.

Lunch at Cafe Orleans - I had kind of hoped we could make it to the Barbecue one last time, but they were booked solid.

Crescent City Salad with Blackened Chicken, a recommendation by Dan. Was really good, I will have to keep that in mind for next year definitely.

We watched a couple of shows, including the Jedi Training Academy which I always watched in passing only.

It was a fun day. Dan was even so incredibly kind to wait for Donald with me. Unfortunately not even him being my good luck charm helped: no Diamond Donald. Three weeks at the park and no Diamond Donald. I'll spare you another rant, but I was not amused. Anyway, back to more pleasant memories.

We did catch up with some other characters though.

Our dinner was at Pizza Press out of the park. I heard about people going before, but I never imagined it was that close. I usually stay at the other side of Harbor, and if I ventured in the Howard Johnson direction before it was usually for Mimi's, so we went by car. It's a really nice pizza place which even allows you to build your own pizza. I still can't believe I missed it all those years.

After dinner we went over to DCA and went on Toy Story. The line wasn't even that bad, we just made it through to go and see a little bit of the Mad T Party a quick visit after all. It was a boys night, Alice was absent. JJ and Dan said it happens on occasion, but I never had been to one before.

I still don't know what hit me then... but somehow it seemed logical after that to not only visit Anna and Elsa again, but also to duck into the last performance of the Frozen singalong. It was like 10 people including us, and for some reason that night it made sense to sing "Let it go" at the top of my lungs along with JJ. I'll blame the beer I had with my pizza. :D

Disneyland was open late that night. Seeing the app had been so inaccurate we went back to check on the Mansion line, but that wait time showing there was even worse than the app. So we scratched that and made The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh our last ride. So after all these years thanks to Dan I finally realized the story of this ride. :D Before I hadn't even bothered checking it out closely because things get so weird during the ride, I rarely go on it anyway.

Well and that's pretty much it. Shortest part of any of my trip reports ever, minus travel days.

Day 21: Goodbye Disneyland!

I had packed the night before. JJ had kindly taken some things with her, so according to the scale I was well under the luggage limit.

Quite proud of myself I left for half the day of Disneyland that still lay ahead of me. For the first time I had managed to get onto a late flight only departing 7 PM - had seemed useful in case there would have been a WDI release, but alas there was none. So I found myself strolling along Main Street after all.

And on the way to check out lanyards I find... they have unpacked new Marvel Dooneys at Disney Clothiers!

Now I have no clue about handbags. When the supposedly female love for handbags was distributed I was blatantly skipped. I don't get the fascination with Dooney bags at all. But that bag looked so good that even I knew Sabrina would be all over it. She had wanted one of these, but the "only one left" I had seen so far had some flaws she said.

So I run out on Main Street trying to find a cell phone signal and message her photos. That looks promising... hopefully my luggage allowance will survive.

In Tomorrowland Stormtroopers are patrolling.

When I leave Buzz Sabrina has replied: yes, she wants the bag, it's perfect. Alright, down Main Street again I go.

It seems a couple of shoppers had spotted that baby - the lady behind me in line didn't look too pleased when I bought it.

Meanwhile it's almost time for one last trip to New Orleans Square. And wouldn't you know it... today Syd shows up.

Figures. I get a hello and a good bye.

After the first set I try my luck at Mansion again... still no good photo of Hatbox Ghost. One day. One day!!!

Second Bootstappers set. Yes, I spent my last morning at New Orleans Square waiting for a bunch of pirates to show up. :P

For the second set someone else has showed up... Phoebe Blackheart, the fiddler.

It was only myself and one other girl really watching at that point, but the crowds were ridiculously bad in that area, probably because Pirates seemed to finally operate constantly.

Phoebe demonstrated how to play the fiddle behind her back, so the others had to try their luck as well.

That's one of my favorite shots... don't know how I got it because people were just squeezing through!

Wandering around in the next break. I get a snack on Main Street, Chocolate Cheddar Popcorn. I like Caramel Cheddar Popcorn, but that was even better.

The Bootstrappers seem to agree that New Orleans Square was too crowded. Raft set it is - they perform on the rafts to Tom Sawyer Island after playing some instrumental music in the waiting area.

That's Syd... always looking for opportunities.

Mean Jean also takes over the safety spiel. "People standing next to you may be used as flotation devices." And I happen to be standing next to Syd. I swear to god that was by no means on purpose. :D

Lunch Break. I leave for Tomorrowland Terrace, they had one Halloween Special I didn't get the chance to try.

I forgot the name of the Burger. Someone said it was the former Monsters U Burger. The fries have "ghostly parmesan ranch ooze." I fully admit I tasted neither parmesan nor ranch. Nothing to write home about. I imagine kids would love it though.

Waving Goodbye to Mr Hatter.

I just had time for the last Bootstrappers set, then I would have to make a beeline back to the hotel for my transfer.

A raft set again.

Well almost a raft set... they actually get off on the Island and played there for a while! I can't remember when I saw that happen last time. It was fantastic, I was the only one there. House concert. :D

On the way back Mean Jean looks at me when doing the prior spiel, smiles and tells me: "You know the drill." Yeah, I picked it up. :D

And then it's time to go. *sniffles*

The transfer to LAX is already waiting at the hotel. I grab my bags and we leave. And that's where a great vacation got a final dent.

I checked before, all paperwork said check in at British Airways. At the BA counter I am told no, go to the American terminal, it's codeshare, I need to check in there. Lugging bags through 42 degrees heat isn't exactly what I had had in mind, that's why I booked the private transfer.

At the American Airlines counter they weigh my bag and I am told I am 2 pounds over. Umm... the hotel scale said I am 3 under? The Dooney's in my backpack, that certainly can't be it. The lady tells me not to worry. But then she looks at my paperwork again and says I have to go to another counter cause I am booked with BA. Okay, fine, another line. I left enough time. At the end of the line they weigh my bag again - and suddenly I am EIGHT POUNDS OVER! Seriously guys, I don't know what should have happened in less than 100 meters that made my bag gain that much weight.

But nope, they don't budge... I am left with the choice between paying 84 dollars extra or being removed from the flight because I am "disruptive." I still don't get why repeatedly asking how two scales can differ by 6 pounds is disruptive, but well... I know what airline I will be avoiding in the future!

The plane ends up being nice and new and with a big Disney selection for the in flight entertainment. But I really could have done without having to write another complaint - that also went unanswered for the record. Service certainly left a lot to be desired too... I stopped counting how often a flight attendant bumped into me. And our plane was so late in the end that I would have missed my connection in London if that hadn't been even more late.

So yeah, that was it. Downsides: the flight back home, the Facilier Fiasco and the Diamond Duck ridiculousness. Partly I had the feeling I was in Paris - ask 6 people, get 7 different answers! And the weather of course, but nothing that can be done about it. Upsides: my local friends, unexpectedly meeting my Japanese friend, catching the Diamond Munks, a really great Kickstarter Day and finding Bullseye. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter