Hotels on the monorail

bertegirl

DIS Veteran
Does anyone think it is worth paying the extra to stay at a hotel/resort on the monorail. We have a 1 year old and a 4 year old. The travel agent told us this is a huge time saver and makes things easier. Just can't decide since those hotels/resorts are also so much more expensive than the others.

The monorail makes it REALLY convenient when your kids are small. It's so easy to get back to your hotel from the MK.

I'll let you know in two weeks! We leave Saturday for eight nights at the GF. I got the QXD code, so I did save quite a bit and decided to go for it. I think it will be a real time saver, we have planned a number of things in the Magic Kingdom area including MNSSHP and are big Epcot fans, we will probably spend only one day at HS and one at AK, otherwise we will be at MK and Epcot. In addition, we have a most of our ADRs in that area, including Kona, Cali Grill, Narcoossee, and 2 trips to Chef Mickeys, plus the My Disney Girl Tea Party at the GF. So for us I think it will pay off...we shall see!

Does anyone think it is worth paying the extra to stay at a hotel/resort on the monorail. We have a 1 year old and a 4 year old. The travel agent told us this is a huge time saver and makes things easier. Just can't decide since those hotels/resorts are also so much more expensive than the others.

Nobody thinks it is worth it. That's why nobody ever stays there, and that's why they charge less money.

We've been to WDW several times and have stayed at MODs
and see plenty of Parents with small kids/babies so it can be
done (they all looked like they are having a wonderful stay).
I'd say if you can afford to stay at a deluxe
without going into debt then do it
but if it is to expensive for you
(I don't think that's worth it-no matter how convenant).
People that stay at MODs and Values can have just as
good a time as those who stay at Deluxe Resorts.
Your TA maybe telling you this so that they can get a bigger
Commisson. That's why I always do all of my own Disney planning
and booking of resort--it is very easy to do without any pressure
to book at a resort you may not be able to afford.

Hmmm.....We stayed at POFQ last November and loved it! We were in WDW for 8 awesome days. The Disney buses were always most sufficient. This trip however is what I call a "quick hit". It hasn't even been a year yet for goodness sakes...so we picked the Grand Floridian! Why? Well, my theory was we ONLY have 4 whole days in WDW so I wanted to be in the most convenient place. I picked the Poly but DH thought "Why not GF...I loved GF when we were there in November." I am so nice I conceded...aren't I wonderful! :lmao: So, I digress...I think the monorail resorts are super convenient but if you're in Disney for a week or more, then a mod will do! You will have the most wondeful time no matter where you decide to stay!:goodvibes

The monorail is definitely a major convenience, especially to the Magic Kingdom (which your daughter will love).

Ask yourself this question: will you spend most of your time at the MK and Epcot? If so, then you should seriously consider the monorail resorts. If not, then look elsewhere.

I base it on what I can afford for the trip. I like them all. If you can afford it and those are the kingdoms you are going to most then go for it. You will have just as much fun at a mod or value. The kids will be on sensor overload anyway so they would lik'em all.

We love staying on the monorail line but its not always cost effective to do so. I say to evaluate your financial situation and if it makes sense then do it. Otherwise, there are plently of alternatives to choose from.

If you can afford them, the monorail resorts are wonderful! You cannot beat them for the ease of getting to both the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. And being on the monorail is wonderful if you plan on using a stroller. You can just wheel them on and off, while when you use the busses you have to take the child out of the stroller, and fold the stroller up.

If I could afford to, I would stay at a monorail resort every trip. :) But for now, they are strictly an every so often splurge. If you can afford to stay at a monorail resort, go for it!

I think it depends on what you consider "worth it".....if you are staying at a moderate. The cost could be almost double, and then i would say no.

If you are planning on staying at the boardwalk or beach club, it surely would be worth it. But at those resorts you have the proximity to epcot and DS...so if those are your favorite resorts I would stay there

I second what a Previous Poster said about the stroller. It is incredibly nice not to have to take a child out of the stroller and fold the whole thing up every time you go somewhere.

The monorail is quick and easy and adds a wonderful dimension to a Disney vacation. If you are spending most of your time at the Magic Kingdom and Epcot, it's wonderful!

We've stayed in the Poly, and usually use the boat transportation rather than the monorail. Just be aware, while it is a monorail resort, your accomodations are in long houses. They are seperate from the Grand Ceromonial House where the Monorail is located on the second floor of the building. This means you will be walking from your long house to the the main building to catch the monorail. If the weather is rainy or inclement, this isn't always a plus. While the grounds of the Poly are beautiful, and I highly recommend the resort, I don't consider it especially convenient as far as the monorail is concerned. I've stayed at the Wilderness Lodge, which is also a Deluxe resort, but less expensive than the Poly. The rooms are smaller than the Poly's..but remember the Poly was built back in the 70's, and was an original resort, and the rooms were bigger then. The Wilderness Lodge also offers bunk bed options for the kids, giving you more floor space. It is on the same body of water as the Poly where you would also take the water launch to the Magic Kingdom. It is a lovely, leisurely way to reach the park. This might be a nice compromise. As it is very convenient to the Magic Kingdom and has direct water launch transportation, yet your not paying extra for the so called convenience of the monorail. Again, it's a personal preference. I've stayed at both resorts..and love them both. I just don't particulary feel that when travel agents tell you to go with the Poly it's a monorail resort, are taking into consideration where your might be located on the resort property. As I said, during our recent stay we wound up using the water launch..it was much less crowded too.

Without a doubt it's worth it, and I could only imagine how worth it it would be with smaller children. I've stayed at the Poly and the GF and it is so easy to go back in the middle of the day and rest for an hour or so. When I was staying off the monorail, we'd never go back to the room in the middle of the day because it took so much time. Not to mention how amazing the resorts are, especially the Poly. The themeing will blow your mind.:goodvibes

I personally just cant see paying that much more money for it. Just think of all the extra stuff you can buy if you stay even at a mod!!! Heck you could almost hire a private car every day for that!

No question! We are going back. My DH won't stay without it. I agree! It is so convenient, and the look on the kids face is priceless when they can see the castle from their resort and know they are minutes away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter