Hotel without smelly water

Badfish

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

This will be our 2nd trip to Orlando. I tried my best with search engines and such but couldn't find much information. Our first trip we were very sensitive to the water smell and we stayed at the Disney resorts each night. I still smelled it for hours after taking a shower, I can smell it in the fountain beverages, etc. I did notice that when we drove out of the Disney Resorts and into Kissimee and surrounding cities that some of the restaurants out there didn't have the same problem. But I wanted to be certain that I book a room this time without the smelly water.

So I'm ok with driving 15-30 minutes each day to go to the park just to get away from the smelly water. Does anyone have any recommendations for a really nice place that doesn't have to be near Disney World?

Thank you!

All the water in FL has a strong smell. You can smell the sulphur as soon as you get exit the airport. The drinking water at WDW and most places is filtered but it still has a bit of a taste to it.

I think you will find that the water is equally "smelly" everywhere in Central Florida. The water is actually very "soft" in that area of Florida, which gives it a mouth feel and scent we also find objectionable (maybe not to the extent that you do, but everyone is different). As Northerners I also find it disturbing how ruddy warm the tap water is. I'm used to getting ice cold water from the taps year round!

I would go with coping strategies more than trying to get away from it. We buy large jugs of either filtered or spring water and keep them in the fridge for drinking. Bring it in water bottles to the park. This is a lot more economical than drinking individually packaged water bottles.

For bathing, either use a mildly scented soap that masks the water smell, or go for a swim after showering. Sounds counter productive, but I do feel the chlorinated pool water doesn't smell, and I don't really mind smelling a bit bleach-ey after a swim.

Hi, thanks for the responses. I know several of the restaurants I went to, I washed my hands and did a sniff test and didn't smell that sulfur smell. I also played golf with a guy who lived near the Vietnamese community and he said his area had water that didn't smell either. I did find this review on TripAdvisor for Marriott's Royal Palms which specifically points out the water doesn't smell swampy at the hotel. I also found this thread which gives me some hope that building codes are enforcing filtration systems and some areas don't have smelly water. In the end, we'll survive if we have no options, but I'm willing to make a lot of sacrifices to not have to bathe in the swampy water.

Just an update... I got lucky and found that The Villas at Grand Cypress do not have smelly water. I only booked here after giving up on finding hotels without smelly water. There's a really faint hint of the water, I'm a supertaster and I can give a bloodhound a run for his money. Whatever smell there is in this water is completely negligible for anyone else. It's also a beautiful facility with an great golf course, amenities, and access to that famous pool at the Hyatt Grand Cypress. Highly recommended and I will only stay here unless I hear of better hotels without swamp water.

I was there for 10 days in July, and I was surprised to not smell or taste anything in the water this time. I usually cannot take the taste of the water at all.

Just an update... I got lucky and found that The Villas at Grand Cypress do not have smelly water. I only booked here after giving up on finding hotels without smelly water. There's a really faint hint of the water, I'm a supertaster and I can give a bloodhound a run for his money. Whatever smell there is in this water is completely negligible for anyone else. It's also a beautiful facility with an great golf course, amenities, and access to that famous pool at the Hyatt Grand Cypress. Highly recommended and I will only stay here unless I hear of better hotels without swamp water.

How did you find that out? By calling? Or are you there now?

Yes, that looks like a beautiful property for sure!

I booked the hotel because I exhausted my search for a hotel without swamp water. I was only able to find one and it was not up to my standards. I called the Villas at Grand Cypress and asked the girl if the water smelled there, she told me that it did smell and it's the whole area and not much I could do about it. So I reluctantly set off for my trip last week and to my surprise the water did not smell. My daughter and I rejoiced after we sniffed the tap water and brushed our teeth. So even their staff was misinformed. My understanding is that the villas that we stayed in were recently remodeled at great cost. They said something like $100k per unit. I guess they could have put some quality water filtration system in to combat the swamp water smell. The water pressure in the shower was a bit low, and it may be because some kind of filtration system was slowing down the rate. But the water pressure was a tiny price to pay to come out smelling like soap and shampoo instead of bayou.

Throughout the park at the restrooms and water fountains that swampy water was present. But it was so nice to come back and bathe in the nice, almost odorless water at the villas. It made the trip so much more enjoyable!

It is likely that the restaurants and hotels without the "smelly" water have reverse osmosis systems installed. The water in Florida is not great anywhere but those systems make it much better. Asking if a place has a reverse osmosis system installed is one way to lesson your chances of having to deal with the bad Florida water.

I booked the hotel because I exhausted my search for a hotel without swamp water. I was only able to find one and it was not up to my standards. I called the Villas at Grand Cypress and asked the girl if the water smelled there, she told me that it did smell and it's the whole area and not much I could do about it. So I reluctantly set off for my trip last week and to my surprise the water did not smell. My daughter and I rejoiced after we sniffed the tap water and brushed our teeth. So even their staff was misinformed. My understanding is that the villas that we stayed in were recently remodeled at great cost. They said something like $100k per unit. I guess they could have put some quality water filtration system in to combat the swamp water smell. The water pressure in the shower was a bit low, and it may be because some kind of filtration system was slowing down the rate. But the water pressure was a tiny price to pay to come out smelling like soap and shampoo instead of bayou.

Throughout the park at the restrooms and water fountains that swampy water was present. But it was so nice to come back and bathe in the nice, almost odorless water at the villas. It made the trip so much more enjoyable!

That makes sense, they probably installed filters during the renovations. Glad you had a good trip in terms of water!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter