• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hotel THREW Out Our Gifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

twinsmommy06

Mouseketeer
We're staying at the clarion lbv and I requested NO room service for the week we're here. Kids make messes and I cannot separate daily/hourly what's what so I asked that they please not clean. They said fine. No cleaning yeserday. Figured they all got the message. today, come in after downtown disney and they cleaned and threw out a whole bunch of souvies and stuff with the trash. I hadn't gone through the bags quite yet and there was cardboard and stuff mixed with toys and clothing and all. I am LIVID! It's about $300 worth of items. It went out into the dumpster already. They filed a report and the supervisor is going to talk to me later. I don't want to wait for a check. I want the stuff NOW! This is ridiculous. I've never had this before. What do I do? How do I handle this? Will they replace the stuff? They asked the value and I said about $300. I don't want the cash per say, just the stuff we got for my kids. They're so upset.

We're staying at the clarion lbv and I requested NO room service for the week we're here. Kids make messes and I cannot separate daily/hourly what's what so I asked that they please not clean. They said fine. No cleaning yeserday. Figured they all got the message. today, come in after downtown disney and they cleaned and threw out a whole bunch of souvies and stuff with the trash. I hadn't gone through the bags quite yet and there was cardboard and stuff mixed with toys and clothing and all. I am LIVID! It's about $300 worth of items. It went out into the dumpster already. They filed a report and the supervisor is going to talk to me later. I don't want to wait for a check. I want the stuff NOW! This is ridiculous. I've never had this before. What do I do? How do I handle this? Will they replace the stuff? They asked the value and I said about $300. I don't want the cash per say, just the stuff we got for my kids. They're so upset.

Well My guess is that if it was thrown away and you have already been to the dumpster (though I wouldn't give my kids back stuff that had been in the dumpster) I would say that you aren't going to get the items back. At this point. Sounds like the best that they can now do is give you a check, gift certificate so you can repurchase the items or apply the cost to your foilio. Do you have the receipts to prove the amount that was thrown out? I would expect for them to ask for proof of the loss. I would make sure that you leave the do not disturb sign on the door if you hadn't been already. I understand your desire to not have to pick up after the kids while you are on vacation, but it might be a good thing to take just a few minutes next trip to just sort through items and make sure any thing you want to keep is well away from the trash cans maybe put items in the closet or something that way there is never any confusion. It really doesn't take long to pick up in a hotel room and make sure that items are distinguishable from trash. Our room can get a little disorderly too but I do make sure that trash is set aside as trash and all other items are clear of that so it can't be mistaken as trash by housekeeping or ourselves. Hope things work out for the best...

Just wanted to say I am sorry that this happened :mad:
I don't really have any advice for what to do now...but I do hope you can enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Oh my gosh, that is horrible!!! I hope it will be sorted out for you well enough.

Thats really sad new's, But on the positive side you can replace items for kids while yourself and management work issues out. No need to get stressed on a family vacation.

I would just keep in contact with management thru trip till issue is resolved, Cooler heads will prevail. If they have any problems working with you then I would contact there Corp. dept.

We have heard many great things about the Clarrion in LBV so you should be in good hands .

I would be so angry! The only tips I have is that you have much more power while you're there. If they try to put you off [like they're having head office look at it and will get back to you once you're home] do not let it happen! Make them deal with it while you're a guest at their property.
I say they should reimburse you not only the value of what they threw out but extra for the extra time it will take you to repurchase the items and for the stress it has causes... as well as their mistake of entering the room that you explicitly told them not to.

How on earth did they mistake 300 dollars worth of merchandise for trash? Do they have blind or just incredibly stupid housekeepers?

How on earth did they mistake 300 dollars worth of merchandise for trash? Do they have blind or just incredibly stupid housekeepers?

Or someone claiming something they didn't actually purchase? :rolleyes1

I find it impossible to believe housekeeping would throw out "$300" worth of toys and not notice.

i am NOT stupid and yes i have the receip[ts. About 4 or 5 big bags were thrown away. We are here another week. i just want the stuff back. i've never had this issue before. There was a bag with baby clothes we had just purchased fot over $100 as well as candy for 50 and several other trinkets. theydo add up. The baby clothin was $30 a piece. There was opened boxes and stuff i had shoved back in the bags and i believe they mistook that for trash.

Or someone claiming something they didn't actually purchase? :rolleyes1

I find it impossible to believe housekeeping would throw out "$300" worth of toys and not notice.

We are supposed to stay there for 3 nights prior to checking into Disney this July and would love to know the story behind this. However I agree with you and think there is way more to this!:scared1:

That's really strange. I've stayed at a lot of hotels and I've never had anything thrown away unless it was actually in the trash. I'd have to say if I were a hotel I wouldn't want to forgo doing housekeeping for a week in a room with a lot of kids since it's easier to deal with spills and stains where they're fresh. Not to mention how dirty in general a room will be after a week with that many people in it.

That room had to be a hot mess if housekeeping accidentally threw out that much stuff. I always put my souvenirs in my suitcase when I get back and try to not to unpack everything I brought, just so it stays in one place and can't be forgotten/thrown out accidentally. Good luck though!! I hope they make good on it at least.

Just try and keep your cool thru this. I worked many years ago in a large hotel doing banquet's. I have seen many casesof lost and stolen property. They will want to probally see a recipt, But thats only a back up proof. Reason I say back up is they have found many time's people do have a recipt and still file a false claim. Just looking for a easy $$ score. They will also have to wait till tommorows staff comes in to confirm with maid whom cleaned room and check her logs. Then may also review any halway footage from the time frame maid has in her service log from that room issue. This probally wont be a 1 day fix. But may be fixed in 2-3 days. Best advice again, stay cool and work with staff in cival matter.

If your material looked like trash, and you didn't have a Do Not Disturb hanger on the door, the hotel may tell you they are not liable - and in all fact and reality - they are NOT liable to replace your personal belongings.

You cannot prove that housekeeping threw the items away - you don't know that it wasn't someone who slipped into your room while housekeeping wasn't looking.

Hotels are NOT liable for items that go missing from your room. Like it or not, hotels are not liable for items in your room.

I'm not a fan of this, as I spend a lot of time in hotels for work through the year. I feel that hotels should be able to offer security for guests and their belongings. However, if you read the 'contract' on the back of the hotel room door, you will see that hotels are bound to provide you a place to sleep, bathe, and that is about the limit to what a hotel is required to provide you.

So, as mad as you are - you can't expect the hotel to make things right. Your items were stuffed into bags that could easily be mistaken for trash - and I assume they were left on the floor, and not put away or taken out of packaging that was actually garbage pushed back in the bags.

Personal responsibility trumps all in this situation. If your items were valuable, they should not have been left to look like trash.

As much as I stay in hotels, I KNOW that housekeeping will not enter your room if there is a Do Not Disturb hanger displayed on your room door.

So as much as it seems like the finger could be pointed at the hotel - or housekeeping - you have to point your finger back at yourself.

If you have items of value, treat them as such when staying in a hotel!

Did you have the do not disturb sign up?

I was wondering the same thing. If I don't want my room done up than we put out the do not disturb sign. This way housekeeping knows that we do not want anything and have no reason to enter our room.

I honestly could not imagine them just throwing away that much stuff. We have stayed at plenty of places around the country and never had any problems with stuff being thrown out unless it was in or directly by the trash can.

NO there is NOT more to the story. i have the receipts. Yes there was trash placed in the bags. Not trash trash but toy wrappers and all to clean up the room. I've stayed here for 4 years and never had ANY issues. They've talked to the maid who cleaned the room. It as already said to be thrown in the dumpster. And if you read my originl post it said the do not disturb sign went missing and I called and told them NOT TO CLEAN. They do acknowledge this. I am not seeking extra cash or souvies. I just want our stuff returned, in it's original condition. Geeze! And most of it was clothing and shirts, which is easily not noticeable.

So what do you want them to do? All they can do is refund the amount on your receipts so that you can replace the things. That, apparently, is not good enough for you - so what do you want?

And, no, $300 worth of clothing and shirts (which makes no sense, since shirts are clothing) is not "easily not noticeable" unless the rooms is a complete disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter