Hotel Stay Before Cruise, help!

oopinkisfunoo

Mouseketeer
We are flying in the day before the cruise, here are our options and I can't seem to figure out which would be the best.

#1 - Fly in, stay 1 night at MCO Hyatt
Cruise day: Take DCL transfers to Port

#2 - Fly in, use Happy Limo to get to Port, Stay in a Port hotel with free shuttle service to the ship

#3 - Fly in, take Magical Express to a WDW Value or Moderate, and just have a resort day (eat/swim/relax)

Opinions are greatly appreciated :)

We always fly in the day before our cruise and usually stay at Port Orleans French Quarter. We enjoy their pool during the day and then spend the night at Downtown Disney (they have the boat from POFQ to Downtown Disney which is always a nice ride!).

We then use their transfers to get to the port. They show some videos on the way (usually one about checking in for your cruise and then some cartoons) that help make the ride go quicker and get you excited for the cruise (or should I say "more" excited). If you are using the Disney Transfers, they will pick your luggage up at 8am and will give you the time to be out front for the bus (typically around 11am).

It really depends on what time you want to get to port. Staying at a WDW resort will delay your arrival to port until 1 or later. The other two will get you to port what ever time you want so the other two choices are probably comparable in price, convenience, and port arrival time. I guess it would come down to how little transport you want to do after your flight because the Hyatt is at the airport and the other at the beach obviously isn't. You'll be fine what ever you choose! Have a great cruise!

We recently stayed at POR the day before the cruise. It was great to be able to step off the plane and onto magical express and not have to worry about our luggage (we had bathing suits in our travel ons). It was a super relaxing day at the resort, and great to be immersed in Disney before the cruise. We were at the port by 1:15 (using the DCL transfers). We have come to prefer that time to arrive at the port, because we essentially walk right onto the ship. Quick lunch, then the room is typically ready.

The first time we went, we stayed at a hotel at the port. That was a great alternative too! I think as long as there is a pool, my family is happy!

Even if you stay at the Hyatt at the airport, you could use Happy Limo to get to port. Not sure how many are in your party, but if you have 4+ people, a private car service is usually cheaper than DCL transportation.

We always stay at the Hyatt at the airport because our flight gets in late on Friday night. It seems like you will be arriving earlier to enjoy a pool day somewhere, so you do have more options.

Whatever you choose, enjoy!

Thanks for the responses!
I don't think it's a huge deal if we did not get to the port right away.
I like the idea of riding the DCL transfer to get us to the port, just for that extra Disney touch.

What time would you arrive in Orlando?

We haven't booked our arrival flights yet, but we typically like to land by noon or so.

We flew in the night before our cruise last year and stayed at an airport area hotel (Embassy Suites), then took Happy Limo to the port. There were 12 of us so we ended up with the Hummerzine, days into the cruise the kids were still raving about the ride. We booked another cruise for November this year and the first thing everyone asked was would we get a limo again. It was definitely magical, as well as easy and surprisingly affordable.

Another plus to private transportation is you could likely work in a grocery/liquor store stop en route to port. Not sure if that's a priority for you but it was for our crowd. :rotfl2:

Have fun!

We stayed at the Hyatt airport hotel the night before our 1st cruise. I cannot say enough about how convenient this was! Loved it and will do it every time from now on! The next morning after a nice buffet breakfast, we used Happy Limo to get to the port. On the way, our driver stopped at a store so we could run in and buy some alcohol to bring on the ship with us. The whole experience was relaxing and convenient! The hotel is very nice and they have a pool too if you wanted to swim. The price we paid for Happy Limo for a family of four was about the same as we would have paid for Disney's Magical Express, but it was nice being with just our family and not a whole bus full of people. Plus our driver had lots of great stories and knowledge to share with us. For us, this is the only way we'll do it from now on.

Our flight didn't land until 6pm, so staying at the Hyatt was convenient after a long travel day from the West Coast. If you're arriving early, you definitely have more options. Also, price was a factor for us. The price of the room at the Hyatt was less expensive than a WDW resort. Have a great cruise!

We are flying in the day before the cruise, here are our options and I can't seem to figure out which would be the best.

#1 - Fly in, stay 1 night at MCO Hyatt

#2 - Fly in, use Happy Limo to get to Port, Stay in a Port hotel with free shuttle service to the ship

#3 - Fly in, take Magical Express to a WDW Value or Moderate, and just have a resort day (eat/swim/relax)

Opinions are greatly appreciated :)

We have done #1 and #2 and we definitely preferred the first option.

While we enjoyed the limo ride to our hotel near the port, it was a lot of moving around of the luggage (and it was me traveling with my Mom and kids, so I had the worst of it). Then the shuttle the next morning was a bit of a hassle (again moving around of the luggage).

When we stayed at MCO it was so easy and so relaxing. The kids enjoyed checking out the stores at the airport and then when we got up the next morning, the Hyatt took care of our luggage for us. We were on the first bus to the port and arrived rested and energized (instead of already exhausted) because we only had our small carry-ons to deal with :thumbsup2 It was fun to get in the Disney spirit on the bus ride and then being the first people in the terminal was priceless :goodvibes

I have not tried option 3 but to me it would be a tease to be so close to WDW and not go to one of the parks (just my opinion, of course).

I'm debating the same thing.
1) Take magical express to a Disney moderate and have a resort day with a visit to Downtown Disney. Get our own transportation (either a car service or rent) to port (liquor store is a priority!)

2) Rent a car and go to port hotel (Four Points vs Radisson vs Residence Inn) and a trip to the Kennedy Space Center.

3) Combo of the 2- Disney for a night and port for a night (we are coming in at least 2 or 3 days before. I'm nervous of snowstorms in Feb and we're from Canada).

I can't decide!!:confused3

We have done all three; most recently a variation on #1 in March where we arrived in the evening, stayed overnight at the Hyatt and took Happy Limo to Port Canaveral.
They all worked out well for us :)
I think my favourite (except for the fact that my husband was unable to accompany us) was the time my three children and I stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge prior to our cruise and took the DCL transfer to the ship. Without the parks we were free to relax and enjoy the activities, dining and animals at that resort. As non-suite rooms at this hotel don't allow for parties of five, traveling without my husband allowed us to fit in a standard (albeit savannah view) room... sorry DH ;) With all there was to do at this resort (and because it was a short stay; two nights) and with the anticipation of the impending cruise, we didn't miss the parks.
Not only was the resort stay enjoyable, it was also relaxing. Leaving transfers to and from the hotel, airport and port up to Disney allowed me to take the kids on my own without the worry of arranging transportation.
As I've said, we have done all three as well as renting cars and staying in rental homes and condos off-site. We've been fortunate enough to have had wonderful experiences. I wish you the same :)

Thanks that sounds wonderful :)
We are actually booked at AKL for 6 nights when we return from the cruise so if we did do a night at a WDW resort BEFORE the cruise we wouldnt be doing parks, just relaxing at the resort.

We have done all three; most recently a variation on #1 in March where we arrived in the evening, stayed overnight at the Hyatt and took Happy Limo to Port Canaveral.
They all worked out well for us :)
I think my favourite (except for the fact that my husband was unable to accompany us) was the time my three children and I stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge prior to our cruise and took the DCL transfer to the ship. Without the parks we were free to relax and enjoy the activities, dining and animals at that resort. As non-suite rooms at this hotel don't allow for parties of five, traveling without my husband allowed us to fit in a standard (albeit savannah view) room... sorry DH ;) With all there was to do at this resort (and because it was a short stay; two nights) and with the anticipation of the impending cruise, we didn't miss the parks.
Not only was the resort stay enjoyable, it was also relaxing. Leaving transfers to and from the hotel, airport and port up to Disney allowed me to take the kids on my own without the worry of arranging transportation.
As I've said, we have done all three as well as renting cars and staying in rental homes and condos off-site. We've been fortunate enough to have had wonderful experiences. I wish you the same :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter