Hotel Review: Anaheim Desert Inn and Suites

Adding in thoughts of our recent stay- 6 nights, May 19-25:

There were 2 reasons for booking this hotel- the fact it was right across the street, and that we could get a suite that had 3 rooms- their largest suites have a large room with 2 queens, a bit smaller room with 2 queens, and a center middle room with tv, table and a pull out couch. This gave us the the ability to put a toddler to bed in each room, and still have somewhere to be. Grandma was happy to stay in once the littles were in bed, and thus the parents could return to the parks till close.

Booking- I changed our booking when a better rate came out for check-ins starting on sundays, thus I made a 1 night booking for the saturday night we arrived, and a 5 night booking after that. It was a good thing I called to ask a question a month or so out, as they had our booking on the wrong day, and hadn't got my email right (I should have realized earlier that I hadn't received anything) They also called the day before to sat that my credit card I had given wasn't working. I had received a new one, as the expiration date was in April. I gave this to the front desk person and she insisted that she tried it twice and that it was getting declined. I phoned visa, and they said that it had been tried twice, with the old expiration date. Annoying.

Check-in- we arrived around 2pm I would say. The front desk person said that she was just waiting for the list of rooms, and it would be about 10 minutes. It was def longer than that, but once our two toddlers started getting fussy, she seemed to get the list...

Room- the room was exactly as I expected. Old furnishings etc. The layout of the rooms worked just as we wanted though. We looked carefully at the cleanliness, and I will say, the bathroom especially was quite clean. We didn't find the beds hard at all. One thing I really didn't like was there was quite a gap at the bottom of the main door that lead to the hallway. We didn't hear any noise from people above/below/either side, just people walking by.

Breakfast- For fruit there was apples, bananas, oranges, and it was always replaced, there were the hard boiled eggs, bread for toast, bagels and cream cheese alternated with mini muffins. For cereal there was oatmeal, rice krispies, fruit loops, and corn flakes. Milk, a juice machine with orange and apple, and a coffee machine. It was what we expected and handy to be able to grab something before the parks. We always managed to get tables and we were a group of 8.

Cleaning- when it was done, it was done well, but 2 days we didn't get cleaning- the first one, my sister was in the room a lot of the day, but the cleaners made no attempt to discuss when they could get in to clean, and the other, the two dads had arrived back, just as the cleaners were working on the room next door. they told the cleaners that they would take the toddlers for a walk while the room got done, but when they came back, the room wasn't done and the cleaners were gone.

We did store our bags in the lockers on the last day, and had to put our 2 playpens in the room next door as they wouldn't fit. We ended up being a bit late coming back from DTD, so were a bit tight for time. We found a staff member to let us into the locker room, but the person would not let us in to the storage room to get the playpens as I didn't have the ticket I had filled out, as I had given it to my sister. I offered to show ID, as it was my name on the items, but the person wouldn't answer me, nor would she give an alternative when I asked what the policy was for lost tickets, as they must have something right..I asked to speak to the manager as we were getting really tight for time now, and she wouldn't answer me..thankfully my sister showed up (DH and I had ran ahead to get things going) We made the bus with like 2 minutes to spare...

Ultimately, the place served it's purpose, I would only stay there again if I needed the same set up of rooms (ie 3 connecting). Mainly, I didn't meet one person at the hotel in any area or department who seemed to care at all.
Thanks for sharing. The breakfast actually sounds better than when we stayed. NEXT time maybe put a towel in front of the door.

IF it makes you feel better WE had the same cleaning issue issue at homewood suites. ALWays trying to clean at nap

Thank you for the review, especially about the breakfast. That will help me plan what I need to bring to supplement what they already offer. I'm sorry you didn't have the best experience with the staff. Having worked front desk for several years, I am not surprised they wouldn't give the luggage without the claim ticket. It can be inconvenient but it is for the safety and security of your personal belongings. I'm glad you didn't miss the bus! Follow up questions - how many windows were in your unit and how dark did it get? What floor was your room on and how noisy would you say it was? Thank you!

I understand not just handing over our playpens (our actual luggage we had put in the pay lockers), but I had filled out the ticket that was placed on the playpens, it had our room number, my name on it, and the playpens were also labelled- showing ID should have easily identified that we were the correct owners. There must be some sort of policy if the guest loses their ticket- I mean it must happen- gets dropped, gets out of your pocket when you pull out your wallet etc.

Windows wise- there were windows at each end of the room- I found that the shutters did a pretty darn good job of blocking the light. We were on the 3rd floor so right in the middle and we did not have any noise from above/below/beside, only noise of people going by on the walkway

To be honest, it wasn't that bad. The primary motivator for this was cost. I was able to get a room with 2 queen beds for $70 a night (plus $11 parking and whatever the taxes added up to). Final bill for 3 nights was well under $300 for a hotel, literally right across the street from the parks entrance.

Wow! How did you get this for $70/nt? Looking at nov, Jan, April but it's a lot more. I must be picking peak times? How far in advance did you book?

Well this is crappy...we check in there tomorrow for 5 nights...main reason was we could get a really huge suite for pretty cheap, as it’s us, my sisters family and my mom...oh I hope it isn’t too bad :guilty:

Perhaps you can make a run to Target to get a bed topper or pool rafts?

I love this hotel. Great experience with staff, decent breakfast and everyone sleeps good! It’s our favourite and we’ve tried a few

Wow! How did you get this for $70/nt? Looking at nov, Jan, April but it's a lot more. I must be picking peak times? How far in advance did you book?
I used Booking.com to get our rooms reserved 3 or 4 nights before our stay.

This place is def well worn but we have been staying here since the 80's. It is not fancy by any means and I have tried others in the area but for us the location is perfect. About as close as you can get and we like the Dennys nextdoor. I hate the water pressure but we are only in the room to sleep so it does ok for us. Obviously we prefer the Disney hotels but I can't stomach those prices. We are going in Oct and staying at the Ramada aka Grand Legacy again. We have stayed there several times as well but haven't been since the remodel and want to try it out. This place is certainly not deluxe in any way but it is clean and doable if you are on a budget

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter