• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hotel New York air conditioning

Sid74

DIS Veteran
We just returned from a horrible trip staying at the Hotel New York. I have stayed there twice before, but this was our first family stay at that particular hotel.

First let me say that this was my 13th visit to Disneyland Paris in the past 15 years. We love the place, and have Dream Annual Passes.

We arrived at around 2.15pm on Sunday 8th June. At check in we were told that our room was ready, which we thought was great, as we wanted to get into the Parks. When we got to the room we found that the air conditioning wasn't on, but we thought it might be on some sort of timer. It wasn't on when we got back to the room that evening, but it seemed too late to report it.
After an uncomfortable night where nobody got any sleep, I reported it after breakfast, at 7.35am. I was told that somebody would immediately go to fix it.

At 2.30pm nothing had been done.

At 6.30pm still nothing had been done, so I called Maintenance on the room phone. He acted like nobody had reported the problem previously, and said somebody would be sent to our room immediately. After 30 minutes of waiting for someone to turn up we left the room.

At 12.15am, when we had stayed out as long as we could, we went back to the hotel. I thought I would just check with the front desk to make sure it had been sorted, so that I didn't have to come back down.

Apparently, someone had checked the air conditioner in our room and found that it couldn't be fixed. It was one of a number of rooms where the A/C unit needed replacing, and the hotel had known that it probably didn't work when they had allocated it to us! I was told that we were supposed to stay in the room, even though the temperature was around 30 degrees that weekend! I refused. I said that we shouldn't have been put in the room in the first place, and that we needed to be moved.
After checking with her manager, the desk CM said we could move to a room where they knew the A/C was working. I asked why we were put in the faulty room in the first place if another one was available. I got no answer. We changed rooms at 12.35am.

Unfortunately, by this point myself and my husband were feeling very unwell. I have a couple of medical conditions that mean I overheat easily, and the stress from it all had also caused another condition to flare up.

It took 3 days for the hotel manager to admit that they shouldn't have put us in the original room. He checked and found that the night staff had done nothing at all to get the A/C fixed. It was only when I called Maintenance that it was looked into.

Our whole trip was completely ruined. I had to spend about 4 hours trying to sort the room out, and I was so ill that we hardly had any family time in the Parks.

I'm sorry you had that experience Sid74. I think in your position I would make a complaint in writing as you did not enjoy the holiday you paid for. I'd be looking for a discount against a future holiday.

May I ask what your room number was? I'll be staying in HNY next week and would like to avoid being in the same position if possible.

Thanks

Also going to be staying in the HNY when we visit in a few months. I've never been to Disneyland before and find it sad to hear so many stories of ruined trips and niggles and issues that are avoidable with good maintenance of the parks and the facilities.
Sounds like DLP is not seen as important as the other parks in terms of funding etc to Disney.

I did put in a 3 page official complaint at City Hall on Main Street. I went in to get the contact details for a senior member of management, but ended up in there for 90 minutes writing it all out. Strangely enough, I never did get those contact details.

Anemone the room we were originally in was 2234. Apparently, there is a whole series of rooms without A/C due to faulty units that can't be fixed. They moved us to 3220, and all along that hallway they were changing the A/C units.

I hope you have a fantastic holiday, I really do. Just make sure you check the A/C as soon as you get to the room, and if it isn't working please don't unpack.

What upset me most was that it could all have been avoided if they had told me at check in that they may have an issue. I wouldn't have minded letting them check the A/C after we had been given the room, on the understanding that we would be moved if it was faulty, I just wouldn't have unpacked.

Thanks Sid. :flower3:

Yes, it always compounds the problem when they aren't honest and upfront about it. :sad2:

I will do as you suggest and check the aircon before unpacking. Good luck with your complaint.

Thanks Sid. :flower3: Yes, it always compounds the problem when they aren't honest and upfront about it. :sad2: I will do as you suggest and check the aircon before unpacking. Good luck with your complaint.

I would suggest sending an email to the hotel a week before you arrive asking for a room with working A/C.

Thanks Jonjo - I sent an e-mail yesterday evening asking for a room near reception / lifts because of my sister's mobility problems and haven't had a response yet. Was going to give it a full 24 hours before following up but when I do or even when it is answered I will also request this.

I've filled in a complaint form at City Hall before (regarding a minor issue in comparison to yours), and was expecting maybe a letter or something just to acknowledge my complaint, a little apology or something, but I've heard nothing. Our issue wasn't major enough for me to chase up afterwards, but I'm very glad you are.

I do wonder what happens to those City Hall complaints - I don't doubt that they're read, and taken on board, but some sort of feedback would be good too.

C x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter