Hotel choice

cherylmk

Earning My Ears
I just came back from WDW, and already I am thinking about next year. I'd like to spend 2 nights at Universal Orlando, staying on site. My question is, which of the three hotels? I will have two seven year olds, and grandparents. We'd like connecting rooms. Other than that, considerations are room quality and convenience. We're not big on restaurants; usually do counter service type stuff. But we do like nice rooms and a bit of a luxury atmosphere. For a nice room, I'm willing to pay a good rate (I am planning Contemp. Tower for the WDW portion of my trip for the same reasons -- room quality and convenience). But, like everyone, I don't want to pay more than I have to, so I have the Entertainment card and hope to use if for a discount. Opinions, anyone? Thanks.

We usually do one character meal. I've heard there is a character meal with Scooby Doo that my kids would love. Where is that? If it is in a hotel other than the one at which we are staying, can we still make reservations? Thanks again for any help.

Have you considered a kids suite at the Hard Rock or the Portofino? That's one alternative.

With 7 year olds I would think the Hard Rock would be a better choice, though you and the grandparents would appreciate the Portofino, especially if you like luxury. You can't beat the Portofino for room quality but Hard Rock is more convenient when it comes to getting to the parks. Both hotels are top notch hotels so you can't go wrong.

The character meals schedule is forever changing, I would suggest that you check with the front desk when you arrive. I've gotten different responses everytime I call and I hate to disappoint my son if they are not happening. We DID meet Scooby Doo all dressed up in a leather jacket in the lobby of the Hard Rock, though!

Have a great time, and let us know what you chose!

Thanks for your thoughts. I had the idea that Hard Rock was more convenient. If the rooms are really nice, that might be the way to go for convenience. I have couple of questions: If I got the kids suite for us and the kids, could I get another, connecting room for grandparents? What about the deluxe rooms at HRH -- do they connect with another room? Do you know the size of the different rooms at HRH? Now that I'm typing this, I guess I can just call the hotel and ask . . . . But you guys here are usually more accurate than the info I get on the phone!!

Ok, I guess I am answering some of my own questions, but I called the HRH, and they said Deluxe Rooms and Kids Suites do not connect, and that is a high priority for us. My Kids really like all six of us to be in what they call "one room," and it lets grandparents keep an eye on the kids from their own room. So, it's Portofino Standard, or HRH standard. What's the comparison?

We're going to the Portofino for Easter with two kids and grandparents. We have reserved a Kids Suite and a standard room. No, they won't connect, but I think we're going to take turns with the grandparents as to who's sleeping with the kids.

We've gone to the Portofino before when we had two connecting Pool View rooms and I must say having two showers and two bathtubs was GREAT. However, now that my kids have stayed in Kids Suites, they would be seriously bummed to stay in a regular "grown-up" room. They love the special beds, theming, having the right size table, and TV/VCR.

If you decide to take connecting rooms, see if you can get a good deal on Pool View. The extra space would be nice with 3 generations rooming together.

The kid's suites at Portofino really are wondeful. We had one with a bay view. It was easy to see when the boat was coming. There are 2 places to get counter type service. Sal's deli has good pizza, large (pricey) sandwhiches and take out salads. At the Gelatto you can get take out breakfast (very pricey) items. Also gelatto and snack during the day.

disclaimer,lol. The restaurants at Portofino had cut back their hours after 9/11. You might want to call and check.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter