Hotel before going on property

RMA2001

Earning My Ears
I looked around but couldn't seem to find an answer to this

We are going down to WDW for the Marathon next Jan. First timers to WDW so I am learning alot in planning this trip.

We have a DVC set up in Old Key West, checking in on Jan 2. I would like to fly in on Jan 1 so we can recuperate before starting our trip. I was thinking of flying in on Jan 1, stay at a hotel for the night and then moving into the Old Key West on Jan 2.

My question is, does anyone know of a hotel that offers a free shuttle from the airport and then to the park? Any tips on how to get from the hotel and then checked into the OKW property?

I had thought of maybe staying near the airport, then shuttling from the hotel, back to the airport and then let the Disney people do their thing with the luggage while we shuttled back to Disney property on their transportation, but that seemed like a little overkill.

It will be me, my wife and 3 almost 4 year old daughter with all the luggage and stroller stuff that comes from that.

We are going down to WDW for the Marathon next Jan. First timers to WDW so I am learning alot in planning this trip.

We have a DVC set up in Old Key West, checking in on Jan 2. I would like to fly in on Jan 1 so we can recuperate before starting our trip. I was thinking of flying in on Jan 1, stay at a hotel for the night and then moving into the Old Key West on Jan 2.

My question is, does anyone know of a hotel that offers a free shuttle from the airport and then to the park? Any tips on how to get from the hotel and then checked into the OKW property?

I had thought of maybe staying near the airport, then shuttling from the hotel, back to the airport and then let the Disney people do their thing with the luggage while we shuttled back to Disney property on their transportation, but that seemed like a little overkill.

It will be me, my wife and 3 almost 4 year old daughter with all the luggage and stroller stuff that comes from that.

Have you looked into staying at the hotel at MCO? You can fly in, spend the night there, and then take MDE to OKW the next morning. We stayed there last November, we were arriving somewhat late and decided easier (and cheaper) to stay there than go straight to Disney.

I should have looked at that before, that is basically what I was trying to accomplish without all the shuttles. Assuming you mean the Hyatt Regency?

Would you consider staying at a value resort for the night? That way you can be on Disney property, use the ME and then Disney buses and they will bring all your luggage over to OKW for you the next day.

That's possible depending on the price. Looks like the bookings aren't open yet for Jan 1-2 so I'm not sure. We will be getting in around 5 after flying from Denver so we really just will need a place to put our feet up and relax a bit. It looks like the hotel at MCO could work though. Found it for ~$200 on Southwest's site, looks like they have a pool etc.

We're flying in on a late Friday night and checking into DVC the next day, so we're staying at Pop Century for that Friday night; that way we can still use ME and then Bell Services will take care of transferring our luggage from one hotel to the other. We've done this in the past and it works pretty well, and then you're not wasting time going back and forth to the airport or wasting money on cabs or shuttles, which more than makes up for the slightly higher price we're paying for staying at an official Disney hotel.

I agree with the previous posters. It will probably be less expensive to stay at one of the values for the night. That way, you can reap the benefit of the Magical Express and Disney transportation.

I agree with the previous posters. It will probably be less expensive to stay at one of the values for the night. That way, you can reap the benefit of the Magical Express and Disney transportation.
And it'd be an easy transfer for the luggage!

You can spend the night at the MCO Hyatt and still use DME the next morning. You just don't get the direct-to-resort luggage service, instead you get your own bags when you arrive and take them to the bus with you the next morning.

As others have said staying at a value would be an option too, but a few logistics to keep in mind. There is no resort-to-resort bus service, so to get to OKW from your value resort you'd have to go to a park and then transfer to a bus to OKW. You can't take luggage with you on a Disney bus, so you'd have to leave with bells services to transport. It could be very late in the day before it ever gets to OKW. None of that may matter to you, just something to keep in mind.

Seperately, I know I recomended the MCO Hyatt above but I will concede that when I did that in November... I ended up with a "gee, we should have just gone on to Disney" feeling. The Hyatt is OK, but it's an airport hotel that's relatively boring. We were all pumped up on travel/Disney adrenaline. We just wanted to get on property at that point! At least I saved a bit of money though. :-)

Good luck!

That's possible depending on the price. Looks like the bookings aren't open yet for Jan 1-2 so I'm not sure. We will be getting in around 5 after flying from Denver so we really just will need a place to put our feet up and relax a bit. It looks like the hotel at MCO could work though. Found it for ~$200 on Southwest's site, looks like they have a pool etc.

I'll be there at Disney during Marathon weekend, as well! My time spent looking for a DVC rental didn't pan out, mostly because I didn't like the resorts left available when I called. So I called 407-939-iRun (4786) and booked a room through them. They quoted me a full price and everything, we're paid off, and they said they won't sneak the price on us later.

I'm not sure how early a room you can book, but try calling them and see if they can book a room for 1/1. I know 1/2 is good as that's my first night, but that's when you have your DVC set up.

That's possible depending on the price. Looks like the bookings aren't open yet for Jan 1-2 so I'm not sure.
WDW Rooms can be booked up to 499 days in advance - by speaking with a CM on the telephone.
You can spend the night at the MCO Hyatt and still use DME the next morning. You just don't get the direct-to-resort luggage service, instead you get your own bags when you arrive and take them to the bus with you the next morning.
Hyatt Bell Services actually will transport DME-tagged luggage to the backstage point where it can be trucked with all the other luggage.

You mean I have to talk to someone? What is this 1995? ;)

Well good to know about that option, total newbie to this so this is all great info. Little overwhelming for sure but learning is part of the fun I suppose.

One last question, is there a place to pick up milk and bread on property? I know we will need some milk for the kid and right now peanut butter is just about all she'll eat so it'd be nice to get that stuff. We will probably be packing a lot of snacks but might not be a good idea to pack a gallon of milk in my luggage ;)

MCO Hyatt is a very nice, reasonably priced hotel right inside the airport. It is much more convenient & comfortable than spending the night at a value. You can fly in & stay there, then take the Magical Express to your WDW resort the next day, so you still get complimentary transportation. That's what we're going to do on our next trip.

Last edited:
Hyatt Bell Services actually will transport DME-tagged luggage to the backstage point where it can be trucked with all the other luggage.
Can you explain how to arrange this? We'll be staying overnight at the Hyatt prior to our WDW resort stay in August.

Well good to know about that option, total newbie to this so this is all great info. Little overwhelming for sure but learning is part of the fun I suppose.

One last question, is there a place to pick up milk and bread on property? I know we will need some milk for the kid and right now peanut butter is just about all she'll eat so it'd be nice to get that stuff. We will probably be packing a lot of snacks but might not be a good idea to pack a gallon of milk in my luggage ;)
As far as food goes I know the gift shops at the resorts have milk peanut butter & bread not sure on the size (gallon or half gallon ). There is also the option of grocery delivery.

If you are staying at OKW, the store at the check in area will have just about any food item you need, bread, milk, peanut butter, cheese, lunch meat, frozen items, canned soup, etc. They might not have the exact brand you normally use, but they'll have something. And you'll pay Disney prices for them.

Can you explain how to arrange this? We'll be staying overnight at the Hyatt prior to our WDW resort stay in August.

I'd also love to know! So when I land, I pick up my luggage, stay at the Hyatt and then the next morning when I check out, I can just give it to their Bell Services team and they'll bring it to DME? I've never heard of this offering!

One last question, is there a place to pick up milk and bread on property? I know we will need some milk for the kid and right now peanut butter is just about all she'll eat so it'd be nice to get that stuff. We will probably be packing a lot of snacks but might not be a good idea to pack a gallon of milk in my luggage

Given your wish to shop and to stay offsite for a night, I would rent a car for a day. Lets you drive yourself over with a Publix/Trader Joe's/Whole Foods/Walmart (whatever store you like) stop in between.

Pick up at MCO, drop off the next day at Car Care Center or Swan/Dolphin (these options would require you to use Alamo or National), and the CCC has a shuttle that takes you almost anywhere on property or S/D makes DHS or Epcot easy.

Pick up at MCO, drop off the next day at Car Care Center or Swan/Dolphin (these options would require you to use Alamo or National), and the CCC has a shuttle that takes you almost anywhere on property or S/D makes DHS or Epcot easy.

The Hilton Buena Vista Palace also has an Alamo/National office. That hotel is across the street from the Marketplace section of Disney Springs. Alternatively, Avis is located at the Hilton Lake Buena Vista...also across the street from the Marketplace at Disney Springs.

Dollar, Enterprise, and Budget also have offices in the various Disney Springs Hotels. Those options would be a slightly longer walk back to Disney Springs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter