• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hostess is Toast

Very sad. Not that I eat Twinkies anymore! But seems like a piece of Americana gone. Now I'm kind of in the mood for a Twinkie. Or Yodel (they make Yodels, right?)

I don't buy Hostess products, but it's a very sad thing for 18,000 people to lose their jobs ~ especially right before Christmas. :(

Very sad for all the workers and their families.

I don't think my 5 year old has ever had a Twinkie. I think I will buy a box today and let her try one before it's too late.

Darth_vader_no.gif

We just don't buy that stuff. All three of us know how to bake and it's really easy to stir up a batter, drop it on some parchment and bake great treats for the cost of half a box of whatever Hostess or their competitors makes. Homemade doesn't have preservatives, trans fats, HFCS. Don't do it Patience; she won't even remember but your hips will! :\

I used to LOVE Hostess products but they did something to them many years ago (probably took the bad stuff out) and the product was really subpar. It's a shame though that so many people are out of a job.

Very sad. Not that I eat Twinkies anymore! But seems like a piece of Americana gone. Now I'm kind of in the mood for a Twinkie. Or Yodel (they make Yodels, right?)
Drake's makes Yodels. Hostess makes something similar.

I feel sorry for the workers, at least the ones who didn't exacerbate the company's problems with the strike, but I don't care about the company itself going under. I don't eat any of their products that I know of and purposely avoid most of them because they are unhealthy. Hopefully this will be good news for small, locally owned bakeries. I'd much rather see them succeed than any big food manufacturing conglomerate which is at least partially responsible for this nation's current state of health.

I guess Twinkies won't survive the apocalypse after all.

And now no one has a job who works there!! Guess the strike was not what they were hoping for. Sorry for those who did not strike and stuck around to work hopefully something good will come out of this for them but the strikers not an ounce of sympathy from me they walked out on their job so they are responsible for their unemployment now.

Sad. Generations of Americans grew up with Hostess snacks in their lunchboxes. I still occasionally enjoy a package of powdered Donettes.

Very sad for all the workers and their families.

I don't think my 5 year old has ever had a Twinkie. I think I will buy a box today and let her try one before it's too late.

While you don't like to see people lose their jobs, sometimes they have no one but themselves to blame for that. As a company, Hostess was in trouble. The union workers knew that, but instead of working with Hostess to try and work out a deal that would help keep Hostess open and keep people in jobs, they didn't so now there are no jobs, instead of a number of jobs at a lesser wage.

I just don't get why people have a hard time understanding, a little of something is a whole lot better than nothing.

I feel very bad for their employees. It's never easy to hear that one person has lost their job, much less 18,000.

But, since my husband works for their rival Little Debbie, it has already meant a little bit of over time and a little extra money for our home.

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!:faint: How will we survive the Zombie Apocalypse.:scared1:

That is so sad.....I was watching this on the news last night.

:( RIP to Hostess. :(

:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

I feel bad for the workers. The Bakers Union was the only one striking.

I think they could have negated w/out a strike but they were asked to make huge concessions. Staff reduction (30+%) huge pay cut (I've read 8%), benefit reduction, pension freeze. Realistically, if your family depended on your income how many could live with those cuts?

The strike may have sped up the process but Hostess was headed this way anyway.

It's definitely sad for the workers but I don't think it will be the end of hostess products. They will be selling the assets and chances are Twinkies and other favorites will be picked up by other companies and they will still be produced just under another brand name

And now no one has a job who works there!! Guess the strike was not what they were hoping for. Sorry for those who did not strike and stuck around to work hopefully something good will come out of this for them but the strikers not an ounce of sympathy from me they walked out on their job so they are responsible for their unemployment now.
::yes::
While you don't like to see people lose their jobs, sometimes they have no one but themselves to blame for that. As a company, Hostess was in trouble. The union workers knew that, but instead of working with Hostess to try and work out a deal that would help keep Hostess open and keep people in jobs, they didn't so now there are no jobs, instead of a number of jobs at a lesser wage.

I just don't get why people have a hard time understanding, a little of something is a whole lot better than nothing.
::yes::

And before anyone says anything, I'm not smiling that people lost their jobs. There isn't an emoticon that nods its head without smiling, though, and I agree with the above statements.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter