• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hospital bills

While I was in labor, I found out that my regular OBGYN wouldn't make it to the hospital in time, and that I had an option of the Midwife on duty.

After 52 hours of labor, I wanted to have a baby.

Well, 2 weeks later, I get a bill for $400 because the Midwife didn't accept my insurance (ok, in labor I guess I "forgot" to ask "uh, do you take my insurance?") AND I was my doctor charged my insurance over $6000 for labor/delivery and he wasn't even there.

I tried to complain and made numerous phone calls, but didn't get anywhere except a payment plan option.

My son was born 2 months early and was in the NICU for a month. He was seen by a neonatologist everyday. The hospital only had one and he was not on our insurance. Once my son was released, the insurance company called me and said everything was paid for. Then, about 2 months later, we got a bill from the doctor for about $48,000. The insurance company denied the claim. After wrangling with the insurance company and getting my husband employers benefits office involved (we have insurance through his employer) they finally agreed to pay the doctor at the out of network rate. We ended up with a $5000 bill. Much better that $48,000 but the whole ordeal was stressful and seemed ridiculous. Why have only one specialty doctor in a major metro hospital that doesn't accept every type of insurance? It wasn't like we could take my son somewhere else. I still get annoyed about it and it was 6 years ago.

Anyway, my point is, if you have insurance through your employer, maybe they can help you deal with the insurance company.

While I was in labor, I found out that my regular OBGYN wouldn't make it to the hospital in time, and that I had an option of the Midwife on duty.

After 52 hours of labor, I wanted to have a baby.

Well, 2 weeks later, I get a bill for $400 because the Midwife didn't accept my insurance (ok, in labor I guess I "forgot" to ask "uh, do you take my insurance?") AND I was my doctor charged my insurance over $6000 for labor/delivery and he wasn't even there.

I tried to complain and made numerous phone calls, but didn't get anywhere except a payment plan option.

My OB delivered both my babies so I'm not sure of the specifics but the $4k she charged (flat rate, both times- both c-sections) included my entire 9 months of prenatal care as well. Was that not the case with your OB? :confused3

Last december when I was in the hospital we had this happen to me. My cardiologist was out of town for 3 of the days that I was admitted. The cardiologist that was covering for her did not take our insurance. We called our insurance company and got it charged as in-network. They said that since I was an inpatient and had no choice over who the covering doctor was, and since my cardiologist IS in-network, it would be charged as in-network.

Our hospital tells every patient that even if the hospital is in-network, not every doctor who works there or has privileges there are necessarily in-network as well. But that is more for when you are choosing your doctor rather than as an in-patient.

That has been the one and only time this has happened to us. I never see any of the hospital doctors unless it is an absolute emergency (ICU stays). When I am admitted for a virus, or asthma attack, etc and am on the medical floor, my personal doctors are the only ones that I ever see. Luckily, they stop by even on their days off. Thats why I love them.

You need to negotiate while the bills is current (yours is) and pay the negotiated bill in full. Call them and ask if they have a discount if you pay in full. It can's hurt to try and the worst they can say is no. Good luck.

I did this with my godsons hospital bill- the out of pocket was over 100,000--They were offered the full amount being paid 10.00 a week for life+ LOL....or 30,000 right this minute and lets call it even....they took the 30,000---wrote them a check on the spot and that was that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter