Horse Owners: A place for us on the Dis

I'm going out of town this weekend and leaving DH here to take care of the animals, so to make it easy on him I got the boys a roundbale yesterday so he doesn't have to worry about feeding them.

They haven't had a round bale in months and they think they have died and gone to heaven.....I don't think they have come up for air yet!!

I tried to put it mostly in the shade since it's been so hot lately...it doesn't get as much shade as I would like, but at least half the day it's in the shade..

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

I'm going out of town this weekend and leaving DH here to take care of the animals, so to make it easy on him I got the boys a roundbale yesterday so he doesn't have to worry about feeding them.

They haven't had a round bale in months and they think they have died and gone to heaven.....I don't think they have come up for air yet!!

I tried to put it mostly in the shade since it's been so hot lately...it doesn't get as much shade as I would like, but at least half the day it's in the shade..

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

The look says "died & gone to horse hay heaven" :rotfl: have a safe trip Michelle, when DH ever gets home off the road I am SO out of here for at least a day !

The look says "died & gone to horse hay heaven" :rotfl: have a safe trip Michelle, when DH ever gets home off the road I am SO out of here for at least a day !

DD19 goes to the University of Texas in Austin, so we're heading down there today to move her into her apartment. Going to help her get all set up and then probably do some school shopping at the nice outlet mall they have down there with DD17.

I think the horses are going to head into a hay coma soon...they are destroying that round bale!! :rotfl:

Aww yeah...just got back from a full day at a horse show today. Awesome results, and the kiddos and horses had a terrific time. Two grand champions, one reserve champion, and lots of blue all around.

But holy hand grenade am I tired! Got up at 4am, got to the show at 7am (an hour away), showed until 5:30pm and then an hour back to the farm. The kids sang happy birthday to me again and made the announcer announce my birthday. Then they whipped out a cake to share with all the other barns that showed up. Good kids!

Aww yeah...just got back from a full day at a horse show today. Awesome results, and the kiddos and horses had a terrific time. Two grand champions, one reserve champion, and lots of blue all around.

But holy hand grenade am I tired! Got up at 4am, got to the show at 7am (an hour away), showed until 5:30pm and then an hour back to the farm. The kids sang happy birthday to me again and made the announcer announce my birthday. Then they whipped out a cake to share with all the other barns that showed up. Good kids!

I am exhausted too, too much working outside in the sun, can't believe I am ready for bed...Congratulations on your day that's terrific...hope you have pictures to share...now go back & read post 200 for you :goodvibes

cake-077.gif

fireworks-074.gif

From your other barn !

Oh, you da best! :cool1:

Thanks so much. I don't know how I blew past that. I'm in such a fog. When I got home form the show, DH had bought and installed new vertical blinds in the living room for me as a birthday present...I didn't even notice them untill I'd been in the house for almost 1/2 an hour!

Oh my God you guys.
Was driving back from picking up a new horse. Had my F-150 and my 2-horse bumper-pull and we were planning on bringing this horse to the vet for a pre-purchase exam. The place we picked it up from was about an hour and a half away. On our way home, the truck starts acting funny. Then...BOOM! We blow a tire. Sounds like a grenade was set off in the bed of the truck.

I immediately pull over to a safe spot and get out to inspect.

Driver's-side rear tire ON FIRE.

Passenger-side tire completely blown apart and ON FIRE.

We immediately unload the horse (who remember, we do not yet own and I know nothing about) on the side of the interstate as my truck is engulfed in flames. Nobody can find the horse's lead rope, so I'm holding said new mare by the halter...on the side of the interstate. Finally I yell to the girl who is buying the horse to hold her, I run into the trailer and grab some trailer ties to snap together to make a make-shift lead rope. She takes mare far from the burning truck. I snatch keys and the few valuablesm (my purse) from the cab of the truck.

911 already called an on route.

A few samaritans stop by with fire extinguishers, but the fire is too strong. Cops show up. No fire-truck yet.

Then...........BAAABOOOOOM!!! My gas tank and truck explode. Big fireball.

My truck melts to a charred shell. The new mare never batted an eye. Just peacefully grazed as all hell broke loose aorund her (firetrucks, fire, explosions). Some other good samaritans stopped by and offered to get their truck and trailer and brought the mare to our vet's office to complete the pre-purchase exam. She passed. I told the girl buying that she had to pull blood to do a drug screen to see if the mare was tranq'd, but if she wasn't she needed to bbuy that mare IMMEDIATELY. Such a good girl.

So she has decided to name the horse "Flame"....and DH and I are out a truck. A major problem. Luckily the trailer only suffered some heat damage but never caght fire.

This day sucked...a lot.

NO this day did NOT suck and if I lived near you I would drive right over & smack you silly !! Yes major inconvenience but you will get another truck..If there weren't angels surrounding you then I believe in NOTHING

3d-angel-3.gif

I'll bet every horse that you ever knew that has passed on was circling all of you

Oh my God you guys.
Was driving back from picking up a new horse. Had my F-150 and my 2-horse bumper-pull and we were planning on bringing this horse to the vet for a pre-purchase exam. The place we picked it up from was about an hour and a half away. On our way home, the truck starts acting funny. Then...BOOM! We blow a tire. Sounds like a grenade was set off in the bed of the truck.

I immediately pull over to a safe spot and get out to inspect.

Driver's-side rear tire ON FIRE.

Passenger-side tire completely blown apart and ON FIRE.

We immediately unload the horse (who remember, we do not yet own and I know nothing about) on the side of the interstate as my truck is engulfed in flames. Nobody can find the horse's lead rope, so I'm holding said new mare by the halter...on the side of the interstate. Finally I yell to the girl who is buying the horse to hold her, I run into the trailer and grab some trailer ties to snap together to make a make-shift lead rope. She takes mare far from the burning truck. I snatch keys and the few valuablesm (my purse) from the cab of the truck.

911 already called an on route.

A few samaritans stop by with fire extinguishers, but the fire is too strong. Cops show up. No fire-truck yet.

Then...........BAAABOOOOOM!!! My gas tank and truck explode. Big fireball.

My truck melts to a charred shell. The new mare never batted an eye. Just peacefully grazed as all hell broke loose aorund her (firetrucks, fire, explosions). Some other good samaritans stopped by and offered to get their truck and trailer and brought the mare to our vet's office to complete the pre-purchase exam. She passed. I told the girl buying that she had to pull blood to do a drug screen to see if the mare was tranq'd, but if she wasn't she needed to bbuy that mare IMMEDIATELY. Such a good girl.

So she has decided to name the horse "Flame"....and DH and I are out a truck. A major problem. Luckily the trailer only suffered some heat damage but never caght fire.

This day sucked...a lot.

OMG Jennasis!! Thank goodness everyone was ok. What a terrible event! But this mare really defines the term "bomb proof," eh??

I remember a few years ago watching a horrific accident in front of my office involving a semi hitting a truck pulling a horse trailer at a very high speed. The driver and his dog were both hurt and my co-workers tended to him while we waited for the ambulance. They were hauling a racehorse who was being taken home after surgery and we had trouble getting into the trailer (I assume the horse was valuable because it was locked up tight). We finally located the key and the horse was ok. But I shook for days...

I'm so glad you're ok!! :hug:

NO this day did NOT suck and if I lived near you I would drive right over & smack you silly !! Yes major inconvenience but you will get another truck..If there weren't angels surrounding you then I believe in NOTHING

3d-angel-3.gif

I'll bet every horse that you ever knew that has passed on was circling all of you

We had a decorative front plate on the truck...said "Jesus Loves You". I know he does, cause it really could've have been so much worse. WDWBarb is right...this mare really is BOMBPROOF. Things exploding in a giant fireball and she couldn't be less interested in it (there was grass to eat on the shoulder of the interstate!).

I'm having a real pity-party over the truck (not insured for fire and a real POS. 1989 garbage). Scrap yard paid $200 for it. We so cannot afford a new truck...or a used truck. Luckily the trailer is just scorched and a little paint will fix it right up. I just don't know what we are going to do about getting another truck. With my medical bills from the back surgery this year plus ongoing physical therapy (which I will now have to stop, as it is only partially covered by insurance)....well, everyone has their sob story.

On the plus side, we get a new boarder. Flame has settled in beautifully. I just went out to check on her and make sure she knew where the water trough was (it was dark in the paddock and she apparently hadn't found it yet).

I'm also thankful I was wearing a fitted t-shirt today. The firefighters stayed with me until DH arrived. I asked them if they had to and they replied "No ma'am...we just didn't want to leave you here alone."...as he stared at my "rack". Fine with me. I was in no state to be left alone.

I will try to upload some pics of the melted truck. It's quite epic!

Jennasis, I'm so sorry for your experience. We once had a blow out on an interstate on our way home from a horse show. We have a dual axle trailer and a trailer aide to pull up on. Over and over I thanked God that DD and I didn't have to unload the three horses on the side of the interstate (one of them in particular!). Flame sounds bombproof and like a great find. I'm sure sorry for your loss though...:hug:

Jennasis -- It had to be you on the side of the road today! When we came by, we slowed way down, but there was no fire and no horse when we came by. It was very obvious that something went very, very wrong, but it was all well over when we came across it.

So glad to hear that no one was injured - and what a great name for a new horse.

Something will happen to replace the truck, didn't know you had back surgery but the things that could have gone so terribly wrong on the side of that road, the horse could have spooked and kicked for one and you could have ended up on a stretcher or worst.....listen it will all work out, you had that license plate for a reason, and having worked with firefighters in the past you had that t-shirt on for a reason too...;) sure made someones day Pity Parties are allowed for 24 hrs only ok ?

:hug:

Wow, so glad you are healthy and everyone (including the horses) are safe. I hope things work out for you. :hug:

And just wow about that horse. And I love the new name. Very appropriate. :thumbsup2

Jennasis -- It had to be you on the side of the road today! When we came by, we slowed way down, but there was no fire and no horse when we came by. It was very obvious that something went very, very wrong, but it was all well over when we came across it.

So glad to hear that no one was injured - and what a great name for a new horse.

:thumbsup2 It was me alright. One of my boarder's passed by and called me..."Umm...where are you?" She says. I told her and she starts yelling at her fiance in the car. "I told you honey! I told you it was her truck and trailer!! OMG are you all right?"

To be honest, I am not doing so well today. Last night I couldn't sleep and this morning I burst into hysterics after a horse stepped on my croc (and broke it) and then a giant mothra sized moth landed on me and DH had to swat it away. Hyperventilating type sobs. I can only assume my complete breakdown today is because I didn't have one yesterday. I keep thinking what would have happened if I was alone? I lent my truck to a friend on Saturday to haul two horses to a show and if this had happened to him BOTH of my horses would have died with him all alone.

:thumbsup2 It was me alright. One of my boarder's passed by and called me..."Umm...where are you?" She says. I told her and she starts yelling at her fiance in the car. "I told you honey! I told you it was her truck and trailer!! OMG are you all right?"

To be honest, I am not doing so well today. Last night I couldn't sleep and this morning I burst into hysterics after a horse stepped on my croc (and broke it) and then a giant mothra sized moth landed on me and DH had to swat it away. Hyperventilating type sobs. I can only assume my complete breakdown today is because I didn't have one yesterday. I keep thinking what would have happened if I was alone? I lent my truck to a friend on Saturday to haul two horses to a show and if this had happened to him BOTH of my horses would have died with him all alone.

You need a good cry....sometimes its the only way to feel better...or Zanex...that sometimes works for me too...

Glad all involved are OK though...Everything happens for a reason...I have learned that the hard way...but this too..shall pass...

OMG HOW SCARY!!!

When we were moving from North Dakota to Texas my trailer brakes locked up on the highway at 60 mph. Thankfully we stopped and found the pin that went back in to unlock them, but the tires were smoking. Some guy pulled over and said something about fire and I freaked out...because fire never crossed my mind...(seriously having a blond moment I guess :confused3) Thankfully there was a gas station right there that had a hose hooked up, so we cooled the tires off quickly and everything was fine. But I was a nervous wreck the rest of the way home.

That happened the day after we took a wrong turn down a road that was not really a road....almost got stuck, no room to turn around, but thankfully there was a pasture there (no animals) with a gate, so I told DH to open the gate and I just drove in and turned around. I always say that God put the hose there and the gate there, just for me to get out of those jams...small miracles for me! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter