Horrors of a manicure

disp4so

Mouseketeer
I was on the disney magic on 5-6-06. I got a manicure as one of several spa services. Well guess what ... Now I have nail fungus. :furious:

I have never ever had a problem with my nails. Now they are brittle, breaking and actually coming off the nail bed. It is becoming painful to. I am so upset. I can't think of anything else that could have caused it.

Anyway.... just something to think about for anyone considering this spa service.

P.S what makes it even worse is that I payed 50+ dollars to get nail fungus !

Sherri
Disney Magic may 2006
Monarch of the Seas, Aug 2005
Monarch of the Seas, Aug 2004

That is aweful. I hope it clears up quickly for you. Just curious though, did you report this occurance to DCL? Sometimes it is a good thing to let them know concerns like this. Good luck!

Sherri,
I am so sorry to hear this! That is not a good thing at all. I have also heard some other stories of people having problems with their manicures on the cruise...

I either bring my own tools or just avoid having it done! My daughter, as a treat when she was MUCH younger, back when they wouldn't cut girl's hair at the Harmoney Barber Shop...went for a manicure at the Grand Floridian Spa. She ended up with a bad fungus and lost her nail in the end. It was very sad...she didn't understand at all.

We did learn our lesson.

I have not reported it yet. I only recently realized that I had a nail infection. I have never had one so I did not know untill the nail started coming up.

I will try and give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for the well wishes.. I hope it clears up quick to .

tomspixie said:
I either bring my own tools or just avoid having it done! My daughter, as a treat when she was MUCH younger, back when they wouldn't cut girl's hair at the Harmoney Barber Shop...went for a manicure at the Grand Floridian Spa. She ended up with a bad fungus and lost her nail in the end. It was very sad...she didn't understand at all.

We did learn our lesson.

Oh that is horrible.. the poor thing... just not right.. I would think with Disney being so hygiene crazy this sort of thing would not happen.

I just hope I caught mine in time to save my nails..

I hope you are fine too!

Fungus or no Fungus, I didnt think the manicure on the cruise was worth $50!! I already had decided to skip all Spa services on the cruise. I was not impressed at all.

I was very impressed with Saratoga Springs and I asked them if they were the same company and was told no they were not. That was a relief! I've been to their spa twice for pedicures, without issue and received excellent service.

I hope you recover your healthy nails quickly.

ewwwwww!!! :eek: that's just wrong! get well soon!

Is the Saratoga Springs formerly known as the Disney Institute one? I went to DI for a massage and it was the best EVER. Didn't care for the one on the cruise.

I'm going to try those new AVON nail sticks that looks like polish before I sail. That would solve a nice emergency nail problem.

LIFERBABE said:
I hope you are fine too!

Fungus or no Fungus, I didnt think the manicure on the cruise was worth $50!! I already had decided to skip all Spa services on the cruise. I was not impressed at all.

I was very impressed with Saratoga Springs and I asked them if they were the same company and was told no they were not. That was a relief! I've been to their spa twice for pedicures, without issue and received excellent service.

I hope you recover your healthy nails quickly.

Thanks for your well wishes.. they are apprecaited.. :goodvibes

and no it was not worth 50.. it will probably total over 100 once I go to the doctor and get treatments..

OH well live and learn

:sad2:

OMG! A nail fungus! You're making my fingers hurt now...

I had a manicure- if you want to call it that- on the double scoop cruise (starting May 27th). It wasn't really what I'd call a manicure and ended badly (I ended up NOT letting her do the french manicure part of it, cancelled my pedicure, and the mgr agreed that my nails looked so awful the way she'd filed them almost pointed that she agreed not to charge me for the manicure NOR the pedicure that I'd cancelled right before instead of 24hrs notice!)

I told her not to reshape my nails as I'd only had them done the previous Wed (so it was less than a week previous) but the french manicure polish was chipping and I thought I'd be getting a REAL manicure (you know- the cuticles fixed, hands softened, etc.) It was the rasul exotic manicure so it wasn't cheap but it was ridiculous. It lasted only a few minutes- literally. She just shaped my nails without me realizing it (making them almost pointed!), had me soak in some milk stuff for about 5min and then rubbed some lotion on for about another 5 minutes. Not what I'd call "exotic" and certainly not lasting as long as it said online. Then the french manicure part was going to be $10 extra- she did 2 nails and I was like WHAT are you doing? She was only putting the white on the very tip of my nail.. not even coming close to covering up my "white" part of my nail with the white polish- ridiculous. She asked the person that was going to do my pedicure- and she didn't know how to do it any differently? So I stopped her at that point and said no more.. now I had to fix my nails before formal night (myself- thank goodness I'd brought stuff to do french manicure in case it needed touching up!) and I didn't want them messing up my toes too!

So I cancelled my pedicure, had to get an emory board from the mgr so I could "reshape" my nails properly (ofcourse making them much shorter in the process) and redid my nails (french manicure) on my own. The mgr agreed they looked horrible and thus didn't charge me.

Personally I don't think the "vendor" even makes sure they know how to do nails. I think they just ask or something- hey, can you do nails? They say yes and the "vendor" (whoever that is) just says great- so you cut off the cuticles, put their hands in milk and rub this lotion on then put some nail polish on. They did NOT do what I normally get in a manicure at all- not even $15 manicures at home! She used normal nail clippers (like to cut nails- the kind I have in my purse even) to cut off my cuticles- I was surprised she didn't cut me and make me bleed! But she really didn't do a good job of it. She didn't like push back my cuticles like they usually do during a manicure and before painting my nails, it was just... strange. It was really like I said above- like the person didn't even know what a manicure really entailed and was just "pretending" to know how to do nails.

I sure hope like heck I don't get a nail fungus. That's horrible! :(

that's just awful! I hope you'll feel better soon. Go to the dr and get some antibiotics! I have heard several horror stories about manicures/pedicures on board now. I already plan on having my nails done right before the cruise (as I do with every vacation :goodvibes ). I would call DCL. I highly doubt they'd do anything, because there really isn't any way to proof you got the fungus while on board, however maybe they will do a check up on the hygiene in the spa. Fungus is almost always caused by dirty manicure/pedicure tools!

disp4so said:
I was on the disney magic on 5-6-06. I got a manicure as one of several spa services. Well guess what ... Now I have nail fungus. :furious:

I have never ever had a problem with my nails. Now they are brittle, breaking and actually coming off the nail bed. It is becoming painful to. I am so upset. I can't think of anything else that could have caused it.

Anyway.... just something to think about for anyone considering this spa service.

P.S what makes it even worse is that I payed 50+ dollars to get nail fungus !

Sherri
Disney Magic may 2006
Monarch of the Seas, Aug 2005
Monarch of the Seas, Aug 2004

Please make sure you get medical care. As Tif said, you can lose your nail from a fungus. I first got one when I had mono. There are several ways to treat it, but using a clear prescription nail polish (penlac) has been effective for me. The only problem is you have to paint it on in layers over several days, then take it off and start over again. Even being diligent, it takes 4 - 6 months to get back to a healthy nail.

Holy Moly! I hope it clears up quickly! I was going to treat myself to a ship manicure! There is no way after these 2 horror stories! I realize that it might have been wonderful for others but knowing my luck I would have a disaster! I will just do them myself.

GOOD LUCK!

Thats it now, I will definately get mine done BEFORE I cruise at my regular nail bar . DH as going to treat me, but there has been far to many negative comments on here recently to even think of risking it. Thanks for warning us, hope you get better soon.

I always say go to your local salon - saves you money, those people really care (b/c they want your repeat business) and then you have more time onboard for other true-cruise stuff.

The good news is a fingernail fungus actually heals quicker than toe nail. Go to the doctor and they'll prescribe penlac (sort of like a nail polish) or there's a pill (I took it) but I can't think of the name-- you see the commercials all the time. I had a toenail infection after a very bad pedicure (it was a nice salon-- supposedly-- the girl cut my toenails so short that she actually cut my two top toes (I'm not even making this up). I have a natural curve to my bed-- so when they were cut that short they became ingrown, and I had to have the surgery to repair that-- plus I developed a fungus. All 5 weeks before our first trip to Disney-- I had to take naprocin (prescription Aleve) the entire time in Disney. Awful. I said I would never get another pedicure/manicure-- but I just did (2 years later). I did go to a different place (a nice salon) so hopefully everything will be ok.

It's funny, I called the salon owner to tell him what happened (the girl actually got upset with me because my toes wouldn't stop bleeding-- then she told me she just wanted to get me out of there- it was awful, she got so nervous she didn't know what to do. Anyway, when I called the salon owner-- his answer was to offer me another free mani/pedi from his more experienced technician-- I laughed at him, because the last thing I wanted to do was step foot in his salon again.

Mattmommy...SSR is where Disney Institute used to be. It is not, however the old Disney Institute. They leveled things and built new to create this beautiful new resort. I even remember back when Disney Institute had been the Disney Vacation Villas! That's where we grew up staying when we would take our annual Disney trip. I've often wondered if that is where Disney started thinking about DVC!

Do try the spa at SSR!!! IT is outstanding! Received one of the best massages ever there!

I shouldn't have read the DIS today! SIL and I have manicures and pedicures booked for the Wonder, and we leave for our trip tomorrow. Has anybody had a GOOD experience? Please, somebody, say yes! I've been looking forward to this splurge for months and this is freaking me out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter