• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Horrible Goofys Kitchen experience.

We went to goofy's Kitchen in May and I had a wonderful experience however, we were at Surf's Up Breakfast with Mickey at Paradise Pier this past Sunday and I was extremely disappointed with the service, the character interaction and the food! I have been to so many character breakfasts at WDW and they are always fun and entertaining and this one was not! I hope things are not going downhill! We paid $78 for my husband, myself and my son to eat eggs that were just not that great and not a big selection? Pluto completely ignored us, there was a family that was sitting 3 tables away and kept getting up and going to the characters instead of waiting for characters to come to their table. The characters that came to our table in 90 mins were Minnie and Stitch, we got ignored by Pluto and had to request Daisy to come to our table before we left, hardly worth it! when we went to Goofy's Kitchen the food was awesome and the characters were fun and plentiful! We also ate at Blue Bayou for $95 and the food was spectacular, so maybe my standards were too high but that's a lot of money to be disappointed! I told my husband I wish I would've eaten at Blue Bayou twice and skipped surfs up for a few dollars more, I don't mind spending the money if the experience is pleasant, it was for us at Goofy's Kitchen but not at Surf's Up!

I don't understand why Disneyland can't do what WDW does with Crystal Palace, i.e. open it up an hour before the park opens to allow guests to get PhotoPass shots on a near-empty Main Street, and eat a character breakfast without missing any or much of the priceless AM park time.

We had a CP ADR before the park opened. Got to the park, to find out that they had extended the morning hours. So we were sitting having food during the first hour the park was open. :headache:

Minnie's is open before the park is open, though.

We went to goofy's Kitchen in May and I had a wonderful experience however, we were at Surf's Up Breakfast with Mickey at Paradise Pier this past Sunday and I was extremely disappointed with the service, the character interaction and the food! I have been to so many character breakfasts at WDW and they are always fun and entertaining and this one was not! I hope things are not going downhill! We paid $78 for my husband, myself and my son to eat eggs that were just not that great and not a big selection?

The bolded...don't eat the scrambled eggs! They're nasty no matter where you get them. (got nauseated by the eggs at Minnie's and it ruined my whole meal...my relationship with eggs is iffy at best and it got worse after being pregnant with DS)

Have them make eggs for you; the chef is there, waiting for you.

DH and DS had omelettes that were SO good and made just for them, to their specifications.

And I had The Best huevos rancheros EVER at Surf's Up. So so so so good, and made exactly for me. :)

That's too bad! Sorry you had such a bad experience!!
I was just at Goofy's on the 18th and had the complete opposite experience.
Unfortunately, it looks like Goofy's must be inconsistent!

Captain Redbeard said:
That's too bad! Sorry you had such a bad experience!!
I was just at Goofy's on the 18th and had the complete opposite experience.
Unfortunately, it looks like Goofy's must be inconsistent!

We were the 18th as well. We had some disappointing moments, but overall wasn't horrible. But there was another family who was livid over their dinner (only saw 2 characters the whole time). They complained to management and while I think their expectations of remedy were over the top, management wasn't willing to do anything. So maybe it has to do with where you sit?

I just think that for the price of Goofy's they could be doing a better job.

We were the 18th as well. We had some disappointing moments, but overall wasn't horrible. But there was another family who was livid over their dinner (only saw 2 characters the whole time). They complained to management and while I think their expectations of remedy were over the top, management wasn't willing to do anything. So maybe it has to do with where you sit?

I just think that for the price of Goofy's they could be doing a better job.

We had a great experience too but if not, I agree Disney should be doing something. For the price you pay, there better be more than 2 characters! The food is ok, not gourmet -at least at Ariel's Grotto the food is higher quality and you get at 5 princesses.

This is going to sound crazy but I was so emotional from a bad day at DL the day before I almost started crying. I thought people would think I was crazy because I had tears in my eyes.

We sat in the far back by the door the characters go out by the windows.

I think with a character meal they should have a rotation in which they visit the tables. The only character that stayed out the entire time was Belle and she seemed bored as she strolled by our table.

I can totally relate! I think especially those of us who have to travel to get to Disney and if you can't go regularly, it is so disappointing when things aren't as magical us you had hoped for! I have had teary days at Disney for this reason! I really appreciate the cast members who realize how important these trips are for people and how hard some work to just be able to be there. I think it is easy to forget sometimes when you are having a bad day, which makes those special cast members who really work to spread them magic so wonderful!

DH and I went this past July for a 7:30am breakfast on a Saturday. It was just the two of us and no kids so I wondered how it would be. We were in the corner off to the left of the entrance. We saw every character there. Not the best food in the world, but it wasn't bad at all and we enjoyed all the choices. You can read my little review with pictures in link in sig.

Sounds like it can be hit or miss, which is too bad. I wonder if it depends on what time of day you go? :confused3

Went there this morning and I couldn't have been happier! Saw lots of characters (Goofy, Pluto, Chip, Dale, Rafiki, Mad Hatter, The Fairy God Mother, and Baloo), the food was hot and delicious, and we were seated very quickly. There was a small confusion with our reservation, but the cast members fixed it up in a snap. I guess we were just very fortunate. I think it's worth a shot to go, if you're unhappy at least you know it isn't a place you wish to return to!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

hmmm I have a multitutde of things to respond to here.
First of all Goofy's kitchen, we've been there plenty of times and I have never had a shortage of characters our alst trip to Diseyland (september 22nd) we went there and while only there for about 30-40 minutes we had Mulan, Pluto, Chip and Dale, Baloo and Rafiki and I believe one other person I am forgetting. It was also quite busy and crowded and they had about 4 birthday parties going on.
My biggest complaint nwith Goofy's Kitchen has always always always been that the food is cold and even at times looks stale, like they just microwaved it, mnot fresh ro they cooked it the day before and the selection of food has never been my favroite.
They used to do this thing in Goofy's kitchen where a song plays and the characters and kids all dance together with kitchen utensils as instruments but I haven't seen them do this in quite some time. Disappointing.

Now my favorite place to eat has always been the buffet Character breakfast at Paradie Pier hotel. I think they called it Minnie's Luau last time I was there I believe it is now Lilo and Stitch's thing but it's at the PARADISE PIER HOTEL. For some reason it is NEVER crowded when we go I'm talking like it's us and about 4 outher families and that's it. One time we went and had the best experience as it was us and only one other family in the place.
Now my son is autistic and has a big crush and Minnie so when we were there we had TONS of character interaction as you can imagine. Stitch hung around for a while but my son was young er then (around 3 or 4) and his autism was a lot more...noticeable, or worse at the time, he hadn't seen Liko and Stithc and was scared of him therefore. At this time and age he would only do characters he knew. When Minnie cam around he was in heaven, she gave him kisses and hugs and even fed him and sat down with us for a long time Tyler. was. in. heaven.
The food there was a LOT better it's fresh you can tell a lot better selection and there is even stuff you can make like a waffle station.

I heard a lot about basically Disney not making it right when something goes wrong. handing a comment card is not making is right.
This happened to me on my last trip to Disneyland. It was Sept4ember 22nd and our AP passes were expiring and we were only there for one night and even chose to splurge and satay at the DLH.
We made a reservation at Ariels' for dinner as my son loves the place and only eats certain things due to his autism this is also why we make reservations in order to ensure we are getting what we want etc.
The reservation was for 8pm I believe and we got there at 7:45 and we were told that they stopped seating at 7:30pm. Uh what but we had a reservation for 8pm and apperntly we were the only ones this happened to. I asked for a lead and found one out by the WOC area and her little cast members only guide had said that the restaurants like Ariels and Wine Country closed at 8:30 or 9pm. I went back to the manager at Ariels who insisted I was wrong. SO I told him get out your cast member guide for today and tll me what it says. Sure enoguh I WAS RIGHT. My son st this point is having an autism meltdown as he was looking forward to this. The only place that was still open to eat was snack carts but needed to eat dinner and my son was only going to eat certain things, this is why we make reservations. All we got was an apology my husband was not being helpful to my cause as he just wantd to leave and was also trying to handle our son having a meltdown.
One lady said well what do you want us to do and I said MAKE IT RIGHT. Do the Disney thing and make it right. So my husband and I setlled for snacks while the lady got my son a hot dog which he was fine with. Even though we weren't planning on seeing WOC that night we saw the second show (which was practically empty) and they gave up VIP seating for it. They also gave my son some free glow in the dark stuff a necklace/lanyard with a glowing light up mickey head on the end and some glow stick stuff.

Ok fine, they made it right. Don't let them get away with that crap, they need to make it right.

A couple of years ago I had a big issue that my son was tall enoguh to finally ride Indiana and was so excited to do so. They measured him before we got in the Fastpass line (we have a GAC) and said he was good to go. We had a little bit of issues waiting in the astpass line becuase it is enclosed and that is an issue for our son. Finally get to the car area and the guy remausres him and says he can't go. NO way I said this is NOT cool so we have to go back out and asked for a lead who had to remeausre him. Now my son is having a meltdown because he just got out of an enclosed area and waitied in that area and he is upset that he didn't get to go on INdiana. So because of this meltdown he isn't standing up straight he isn't wanting to do anything and the lead is having difficulty measuring him. I todl her I was very upset at this as we waited for a bit in the fastpass area and he had a hard time doing so. She offered to come back another time once he was calm and resmeausre him (we didn't do that as my husband didn't want to go through it again) but she also got my son a free Indiana Jones teddy bear.

Now please know I didn't ask for anything free on either of these occasions. I didn't expect her to get my son a bear for Indaiana I expected them to let us on the ride and for the restuarant issue I wanted them to make it right by getting us fod I didn't expect free glow stuff for my son for a VIp WOC seating.

But, they need to make it right.

Whew!
I think that's everything.

Went there this morning and I couldn't have been happier! Saw lots of characters (Goofy, Pluto, Chip, Dale, Rafiki, Mad Hatter, The Fairy God Mother, and Baloo), the food was hot and delicious, and we were seated very quickly. There was a small confusion with our reservation, but the cast members fixed it up in a snap. I guess we were just very fortunate. I think it's worth a shot to go, if you're unhappy at least you know it isn't a place you wish to return to!

Beth -

I've had the same experience as you, except I've been going to Goofy's for 20 years (yes, since 1992 - I am just that old!:rotfl2:). I've been there on almost every single trip I've taken to DLR since 1992 (sometimes more than once per trip), and am planning to go again this December. I will continue to eat there. Nothing has ever happened or been 'off' enough to deter me from going back, although there are some days that are better/worse than others in terms of food or characters. Overall, it is a big hit for me, and a highlight of every trip.

Every restaurant (character meal or not) has 'off' nights - it is not exclusive to Goofy's. And everyone has different expectations and personal preferences/tastes that will affect their opinions - just look through this thread at the varying opinions of Surf's Up and Minnie & Friends. Personally, I have always been underwhelmed by the Critter Breakfast at Storytellers - but other folks love it and rave about how good the food supposedly is. We all have different perspectives.

Maybe I have horrendous taste in restaurants, or maybe I have lower expectations than others.:rotfl: Whatever the case, I'm happy with Goofy's! Maybe too, because I've been there so many times, the 'off' days don't stick out in my mind as much because the overall experience has been positive. When someone has been to a restaurant only once or twice, or even 10 times, the 'off' days will stick out much more.

In any case, as you said, Beth, if someone is unhappy with Goofy's (or any restaurant) at least they know it isn't a place they wish to return to. It's good to weed out the 'won't go back to' places early on!

We had a pretty dismal experience there on Monday 10/22 for breakfast. When you are paying 90 bucks for breakfast it should be something you WANT to remember-either that or soaked in Mimosas!;)

I must be spoiled by Chef Mickey's in WDW and the crystal palace. I was expecting a party atmosphere, parade, songs, etc. didn't get anything close. The food straight out of the buffet was all super cold. That could have been made up for by a good character greeting. We got the bear from the jungle book, rafiki (both of whom my DC have no idea who they are) chip(dale never came over!) and pluto(who I had to beg our server to send over!) There was no "face character" that morning. We were there an hour and a half and that's all we got. Service was totally shoddy(coffee never refilled which is a BIG deal in my caffinated world) and I actually don't feel bad DH forgot to leave a tip(yes, he truly forgot but I wasn't planning on rushing back to make up for it) They never even showed us the goofy pic from earlier.

It was my first trip to DL and just one of the many reasons I don't think I'll return to this park.

Sherry E said:
Beth -

I've had the same experience as you, except I've been going to Goofy's for 20 years (yes, since 1992 - I am just that old!:rotfl2:). I've been there on almost every single trip I've taken to DLR since 1992 (sometimes more than once per trip), and am planning to go again this December. I will continue to eat there. Nothing has ever happened or been 'off' enough to deter me from going back, although there are some days that are better/worse than others in terms of food or characters. Overall, it is a big hit for me, and a highlight of every trip.

I've been there every year since I was a year old with the exception of 2011. My parents started taking us when I was 1 and we've always made reservations for each trip. And I'm 19! It's a highlight for us as well. :-)

Is there any way that DLR Hotel guests can eat at Minnie's at a time where they can't go rides?

No but it's worth missing an hour of rides for Minnie's. We had a freakin' party going on when we went. The characters came out more than once, played with my kids (and some other kids) and I feel like I got MORE than my money's worth.

I'm so sorry the OP had a horrible exp at Goofy's. It can really ruin a vacation.

No but it's worth missing an hour of rides for Minnie's. We had a freakin' party going on when we went. The characters came out more than once, played with my kids (and some other kids) and I feel like I got MORE than my money's worth.

Thanks, and I agree. We are planning on doing at least 2 character meals in our trip. #1 is Minnie's Breakfast and #2 is Mickey's Surf's Up Breakfast. We'll do one or more of the others if they are convenient.

For DLR characters meals, do I have this right?

5 serve Breakfast (Minnie's, Chip 'n Dale's, Mickey's, Goofy's, Ariel's)
1 serves Lunch (Ariel's)
2 serve Dinner (Ariel's, Goofy's)

We had what I would consider a disappointing Goofy's experience too. We were there around 5:45 on Oct. 11. We saw Goofy when we came in, then saw Chip, Dale, and Minnie. My daughter saw Snow White at another table, but she disappeared after that, and I never saw her. We were there for over an hour and a half, waiting for more characters. We had seen Alice, but then she disappeared, so when we saw her again, we tracked her down, and then finally left. The food was ok, the service was good.

I understand restaurants can be hit or miss with service food etc. For the price they charge for a character breakfast I just think it should be on all the time. My biggest dissappointment was not just w the breakfast it was how we were blown off by 3 cast members with our complaints while we were there. Almost like it happens so often they just did not care.

The servers at Goofy's get their tips in the end because the 18% gratuity is added onto the bill total (it used to be 15%). Maybe some of them don't put too much effort into serving the customers their drinks because - I would guess - that most customers do not leave an extra tip, on top of what was already charged to the bill, just for having beverages brought to the table.

So the lackluster servers may think, "Heck, I'm getting my tips whether I give them good service or not, so why should I put in any effort?" If they actually had to earn the tip by serving the entire meal (like in normal/non-character meal restaurants), and the tip was not just automatically applied to the bill, it may be a different story.

I've never had any really bad servers there, though, nor have I had any bad experiences like this on any of my visits to GK, but I can see how some of the servers could have that 'what difference does it make' attitude because of the gratuity situation.

ValpoCory -

Your breakdown of the breakfast/lunch/dinner restaurants is correct!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter