Horrible Animated Disney Movies

Brad Bishop

Mouseketeer
Everyone remembers the princess movies like Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, etc. Disney has released some dogs, though:

Oliver and Company - My personal favorite of the worst Disney movie of all time. When I first heard about it I thought: It's based on Oliver Twist. The story has been written. How could the screw it up? Well, they did. I have a hard time even following the movie.

Home on the Range - Recent, but crap. I rented it and gave up about 20min into it.

Chicken Little - Another one where it seemed like a good idea. The story was written for them already. I think the problem is that the story, at best, makes for a 30-min TV special (incl commercials).

Treasure Planet - I saw it. Don't remember what it was about other than some space version of Treasure Island. That's pretty bad, IMO.

Atlantis - Another one where I thought: Maybe the story isn't written but it seems like there's enough myth/legend there that you could make an interesting movie. Nope. The only thing I remember (if I'm remembering it correctly) is Michael J. Fox voiced the lead character.

Fox and the Hound - probably starting to enter controversial territory here. My daughter loves this movie. I remember it from the 80s and I remember thinking how people seemed to love this movie but after seeing it, while not as bad as the others, it's still kind of a yawner.

The Great Mouse Detective - This was one when I first heard about it I thought: Sherlock Holmes with Disney animation!! What could go wrong? You could do all sorts of cool things. The problem was - they didn't. It's not horrible-horrible (like many Don Bluth movies) but it's down there.

Sword in the Stone - This one got panned when it first came out. I've always enjoyed it. I like the idea. I like how Merlin teaches Wart. I think it's pretty good but, yeah, I agree it's not on the same scale of other Disney movies.

Aristocats - 101 Dalmations with Cats! (and no story) I've seen this one a few times and I get lost in it - but not in that good/magical way. More in the what the... way..

Rescuers - This one was probably targeted at me and my youth. I liked it back then because it was a Disney movie but, looking back, it's pretty bland. Rescuers Down Under is better but not up to the same measure of other Disney movies.

Make no mistake - I'm not bashing all Disney movies here. I find it amazing that Snow White still holds up after 80+ years. Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, etc. all good movies that have stood the test of time. I'll even admit that while I really didn't care for Lion King it does seem to have lasting appeal.

It just occurred to me the other day that some of these dogs are forgotten. Really - who things of Treasure Planet or Atlantis when they're thinking about watching a Disney movie?

Thoughts? Arguments? Additions?

I tend to really enjoy the movies that aren't really the "popular" ones. I love Atlantis, Emperor's New Groove, Home on the Range, and Hercules just to name a few. There are a couple though that I could do without. Some are just too sad. Bambi, Dumbo and for some reason I remember Fox and the Hound being sad but I haven't seen it in years so I could be wrong. Sword and the Stone and Black Cauldron are so boring I fell asleep watching them. As for the Rescuers, I can't help but burst into song "R-E-S-C-U-E Rescue Aid Society, Heads held high, touch the sky, you mean everything to me..." I loved Miss Bianca when I was younger. I thought she was so fancy!

Well I for one really like Atlantis! Every time he makes the joke about carrots I laugh. :D

I really liked both Atlantis and Treasure Plant, but then again, I was a 12 year old boy when they came out, so Disney was really pandering to my demographic at the time. :3dglasses

I also loved the Fox and The Hound when I was a kid, and I still love it now.

Nobody seems to ever remember Brother Bear, but I would honestly rank it as one of my favorite Disney movies of all time. I really love everything about it; the folklore, the characters, the setting, and the music are all simply fantastic. :goodvibes

Personally, I liked the Sword in the Stone when I was a kid, but I watched it a few moths ago, and had trouble figuring out why. I was bored to tears.

Chicken Little was also hugely disappointing. Seriously, I felt like that was something that should have been made for tv.

A few years ago, I took a trip to Paris, and thought that I'd re-watch The Hunchback of Notre Dame. It's alot better than people give it credit for, but I can see why it gets lost in the shuffle of better Disney movies.

I forgot about Brother Bear. I should give that one another chance.

Hunchback was one of those love/hate movies for me. If they had just dumped the gargoyles I think it would have been an excellent movie. I felt like I was watching a serious drama and then it'd stop and it'd be 'kids time' and the gargoyles would do their little song and dance.

They just felt out of place and a bit forced to me.

Oh, Lilo and Stitch - another one I really didn't like. The story just seemed kind of stupid to me and Stitch was not appealing at all.

Bugs Life was one that I remember having a good story but I really didn't feel like I could connect with the characters/bugs.

Oh, Lilo and Stitch - another one I really didn't like. The story just seemed kind of stupid to me and Stitch was not appealing at all.

SACRILEGE!!! HEATHEN!!! WHERE'S MY PITCHFORK AND BURNING TORCH?!?!?!
:laughing::rotfl::rotfl2:

Just kidding...

My 7yo Daughter would like to speak to you about Stitch. He's her all-time favorite character and she sleeps with at least 3 different Stitches each night (she probably has 8-10 different stuffed Stitch's).

Wow! I like the "Horrible" animated films. I just watched "Lilo and Stitch" again- it made me cry and laugh.
I loved "Chicken Little". I found him very, very cute. I even used his name as an adjective- That's 'chicken little' cute:laughing:
"The Rescuers"- I just loved it. That song has stayed with me since I saw it as a little girl.. "R-e-s-c-u-e.. Rescue Aid Society". I love Penny's spunk.. " I can walk myself, thank you."
Of course, I hated "Toy Story 3"-found it boring. I felt the same way about "Lion King". But I did love "Lion King 1 1/2"-the story told by Timon and Pubaa.
I do remember really, really being disturbed by "The Hunckback of Norte Dame". I found it too dark and very unsettling.

I seem to like the werid and unpopular. Perhaps that's way I identify with Stitch so much.:laughing:

I can agree with most of the choices except for the Rescuers. I like the movie and Shelby Flint was oner of my favorite singers at the time.

The only ones i find "horrible" are all the recent straight-to-DVD sequels of old Disney classics. Why mess with perfection?

eta: Also umm.. Hercules bugged me cause his ears looked like cinnamon buns. And why doesn't Pocahontas have a nose?? That was just minor stuff though. I didn't hate those movies

-Kitty

I think it's harsh to call any Disney movie "horrible," save perhaps most of the direct-to-video sequels. It's a matter of personal taste.

I like Fox and the Hound a lot, though it makes me cry. I also think Oliver & Company and The Great Mouse Detective are underrated. And though I didn't like them too much, Atlantis and Treasure Planet weren't all that bad. Just not up to the usual standards.

Some people love The Sword in the Stone, The Rescuers, and The Aristocats. I'm not too big on any of them, but from that era I love 101 Dalmatians and Robin Hood.

Some of Disney's more contemporary films work for certain people and not for others. I love Brother Bear and have a soft spot for Lilo and Stitch and the Emperor's New Groove, but I cared nothing about Home on the Range.

I can't think of any I'd call "horrible." There are some I'd rarely be in the mood to watch, but all of them have their moments that are worth seeing.

Interesting question but I think you have to approach it from 2 sides. One side is that certain Disney movies are great for both adults and children and the second side is some are just for kids. Some just for kids one (imho) include any sequels to the original, (Toy story, bugs life, lion king,mulan etc.) and most of straight to dvd like Tinkerbelle and Pooh.

If you really enjoyed a movie as a kid but can't stand it now then that movie had a time and place in your heart and then (imho) can't be truly considered horrible but there are some movies that I think are not great examples of what disney can do and a lot have been said previously.

Here is a list of Disney movies that I just dont watch or have never watched
Bambi
Pinnochio
Black Caludron
Home on the Range
Chicken Little
Pochantas
There are more but can't remember

I guess I am the only person who liked Chicken Little. I thought it was funny and cute, but without any crudeness, really.

Lilo and Stitch is my all time favorite. Love The Emperor's New Groove, and some of the others mentioned.

I like most of the classics, also, but for instance I think all the above mentioned movies are better than, say, A Bug's Life...though Flik is cute.

Couldn't get through Home on the Range...never really liked Hunchback.

(I don't like Fantasia):ssst:

I dislike some of the ones already mentioned: Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Hunchback of Notre Dame.

I also REALLY, REALLY dislike a couple of the movies for their music: The Aristocats, Robin Hood, and Hercules. I dislike the music so much that it makes me not like the movies.

I LOVE Brother Bear and Emperor's New Groove. Brother Bear has so much heart and I think Phil Collins did a great job with the music. Emperor's New Groove is one of my all-time favorite Disney movies- love David Spade, Eartha Kitt, and Patrick Warburton in that movie. It is hilarious!

How can anyone call Hunchback horrible. I just watched it yesterday....one of the most gorgeously animated films I've ever seen. The Sanctuary scene gives me chills every time.

Not to your taste? Fine. Horrible? No freakin' way.

How can anyone call Hunchback horrible. I just watched it yesterday....one of the most gorgeously animated films I've ever seen. The Sanctuary scene gives me chills every time.

Not to your taste? Fine. Horrible? No freakin' way.

I have to agree, but I am kind of dark and twisted so it fits. I have to agree that as much as I love Robin Hood, Sword in the Stone and Winnie the Pooh, the animation is just not top notch. Now Aristocats I just hate and will find ANY excuse to hate on that movie! :rotfl:

Wow I like all of the ones on your list, but i do agree with you on home on the range, that movie is.... I can not even put it in words how bad that movie is

I recently saw the Hunchback of Notre Dame 2. Now THAT was a horrible movie. :scared1: I had heard bad things about it, but I didn't expect the animation to be so bad. And the plot is practically non-existent. The only reason I watched it was because "Heaven's Light" was so heartbreaking and I thought Quasimodo deserved a little love. :sad1:

Thankfully I've steered clear of Home on the Range and Chicken Little. I loved Atlantis but I still have yet to see Treasure Planet. "I'm Still Here" was one of my favorite songs for a long time, though!

Thoughts? Arguments? Additions?

No argument, here -- "Home on the Range" and "Treasure Planet" were both major box-office bombs -- and combined, they were the death-knell of hand-drawn animation at Disney until "The Princess and the Frog" came-along.

As for the others you mentioned, many of those titles were "hit or miss" -- that went-on with Disney from the late 1960's until the late 80's and all the way through the 90's as part of what film fans know as the "Disney Reniassance".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter