Hoping to take a Springfield, Illinois trip - any advice?

traces7

DIS Veteran
I'd like to take my DD (9) to Springfield, Illinois this summer to see the Lincoln sites. Can anybody give me any advice? I know there was a thread last year about this, but I can't seem to find it.

We'd probably go for a day or two. We live in southern Wisconsin, so it's not a bad drive.

Any advice on what to see in the area or where to stay? Thanks! :)

I'd like to take my DD (9) to Springfield, Illinois this summer to see the Lincoln sites. Can anybody give me any advice? I know there was a thread last year about this, but I can't seem to find it.

We'd probably go for a day or two. We live in southern Wisconsin, so it's not a bad drive.

Any advice on what to see in the area or where to stay? Thanks! :)

you can stay at the "Inn at 835" in Springfield. They ahve really great rooms. We stayed there for a wedding reception. Maybe you have seen my photo of it. we stayed in the room, second floor - second window from the left.
2040738_XDTeB-M.jpg

2040737_yYL5M-M.jpg

It is good that you will have a car. there are downtown sites that you can walk around from local parking. But you should also spend a few hours at New Salem which is a short drive away, on the way back home. It is a historic recreation of the old cabins, etc.. from new salem where lincoln spent some years.

I will ask my DW to check in here later with any ideas. The state fair is also nearby. So are her parents and sisters, if you want to stop in to see them?

Mikeeee

Springfield, IL is wonderful! I was there in 2005 and we are taking our last family vacation there this summer (I'm gettting married in October). We haven't decided where we're staying yet, but the Lincoln Presidential Museum is incredible! Plan for an entire day here if possible. Also, if you have time drive over to Lincoln's tomb, it very interesting.

Have a wonderful trip! :)

I'm originally from the Springfield area and I never tire of hitting the Lincoln sites! New Salem is a lot of fun - you should definitely do that. If you are heading in on 55, you could either do it on your way in or your way out - it's a bit northwest of Springfield. I think you take the Williamsville exit, if I'm not mistaken.

I haven't been to the library yet, but hope to do it this summer while we are visiting with our kids. I've only heard FABULOUS things about it. Other fun places are Lincoln's home (they do a whole little tour through the neighborhood where he lived - a lot of the homes have been restored), the Capitol building is beautiful.

They just re-did a Holiday Inn (not sure what the official title of it is now) right off of 55 on Dirksen Parkway - or the Hilton downtown is nice. There are tons of cool little shops in the downtown area.

Springfield, IL is wonderful! I was there in 2005 and we are taking our last family vacation there this summer (I'm gettting married in October). We haven't decided where we're staying yet, but the Lincoln Presidential Museum is incredible! Plan for an entire day here if possible. Also, if you have time drive over to Lincoln's tomb, it very interesting.

Have a wonderful trip! :)

I recommend both of those as well! I also love New Salem, but I heard that they were going to not be open much longer. I don't know if this is true or not, the gals at work were talking about it, but you could probably call and ask for their hours to make sure. I love Springfield, and I hope you guys have a great time!

You can also do a little bit of route 66. Like in CARS!
we drove it from springfield a little bit of the way back to chicago. We saw some of the old gas stations and I think the big silver rocket, but my memory is fuzzy on that. Some of the old pavement still exists. That was pretty cool for me, I like "being" in historic places. Even if only for a little while, and much later than when they were made famous. Heheheheee

Mikeeee

Thanks for all the tips!
Do you think going in early one day, staying overnight, sightseeing before we leave and then heading home would be enough time to see everything? Or would we need 2 nights?
We definitely want to see Lincoln's home, the museum/library, Lincoln's tomb and New Salem and maybe more.
Anybody have any other tips? Thanks! :goodvibes

if you can do two nights that would be like a little vacation. Instead of traveling each day, you would have a full day of fun in the middle. I think everything is centraly located enough that you could stay at one hotel.

DW says to check the times for when the cast members will be on stage at new salem.

Do you know what dates you will be going?

Mikeeee

if you can do two nights that would be like a little vacation. Instead of traveling each day, you would have a full day of fun in the middle. I think everything is centraly located enough that you could stay at one hotel.

DW says to check the times for when the cast members will be on stage at new salem.

Do you know what dates you will be going?

Mikeeee

Sometime in July or August, not sure when yet though. Do they have a show or something at New Salem?

Lincoln's home is pretty cool and the museum is amazing, definitely a must-do. We also took a tour of the Capitol building one time, which was interesting, and we even met Governor Blagojevich! ;) This was in 2004. He let us see his office and sit in his desk chair.

Sometime in July or August, not sure when yet though. Do they have a show or something at New Salem?

Kind of, they used to have people in period clothing acting out the daily lives of the residents of new salem.

I have only been once and they were not there.

Mikeeee

Are any of the places okay for little kids??? Mine are 5 and 2......the 5 year old will behave, the 2 year old is another story....depends on his mood! :rotfl:

Here are a few ideas from my SIL:

Knight's Action Park: Water park, Mini golf, a few rides...kiddie area inside water park...about $25ea for water park tickets, open 11am-7pm
http://www.knightsactionpark.com/

Washington Park playground
Rochester Community Park - enclosed/shady play area / Ice Deli (yum!)

August 14-23 Illinois State Fair http://www.agr.state.il.us/isf/

Best ride deal is the one day pass from Children's Miracle Network

Pay-One-Price discount ride tickets sold off the Fairgrounds.

For more information call Children’s Miracle Network at

217-544-KIDS (5437)

Illinois State Museum http://www.museum.state.il.us/

Mikeeee

While in the area, try a Pony Shoe. We used to live in Springfield many years ago, and that is a regional favorite food. I think there is an original corn dog stand still there too.

I teach 4th grade and go with my class every year to Springfield! (I know, you all are jealous)

Definitely hit the museum if nothing else... it is awesome!

And the Pony Shoe is a must have. Or if you're feeling ambious, have a Horseshoe.

Here's a great place for the shoes! http://www.darcyspintonline.com/index.html

I third the Horseshoe/Pony Shoe recommendation. Delicious!

Lincoln Museum is a must see, as are the Lincoln grave site and New Salem. Something no one's mentioned is that New Salem has an outdoor theater that shows live theatrical performances on Friday and Saturday nights in summer. Google the website for more details (Lincoln's New Salem).
BTW, there is a Cold Stone Creamery near the Lincoln library, if you like.

Camp Butler, just east of Springfield, is interesting for history buffs, if a bit "quiet." Probably not good for a 9-year old (it's a civil war cemetary and small museum), but if others are in the area, it's a neat thing to do.

took

August 14th through 23rd is the Illinois sate fair. If you plan on going then book your hotel room now, rooms go quickly.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions......can't wait to try a "pony shoe"!!!

Plan to spend most of a day at the museum--it is amazing!! A word of caution though. While in the area with a replica of Lincoln's bedroom, be careful not to accidentally touch anything. Alarms just MIGHT go off, and security guards just MIGHT come rushing at you, embarrassing the heck out of you before they sternly admonish you to keep your hands to yourself...I'm just sayin'..... :rolleyes1:eek:

The bad thing about Springfield is that there is a lack of places to stay. Pretty much the, shall we say, "oddly shaped" Hilton (you will see what I mean when you see it!) and a couple of smaller places. Trust me, that Hilton is not like most Hilton's. The quality is closer to a Day's Inn. It's ok though for one night. Also, a LOT of restaurants close for dinner which is very strange! I guess they cater to the lunch crowd, but we had to look pretty hard to find a place to eat. Not sure why that is. :confused3

http://www.visit-springfieldillinois.com/

we did Priceline for a hotel - and got the downtown one - it is odd! and the restaurants do close early!!

Do take time to go to the museum - first go to their website - dd wasnt sure about the one place Ghosts of the Library - but they have a great virtual tour and that sealed the deal!!

http://www.visit-springfieldillinois.com/

sojournertruthandfredericdouglassat.jpg

Sojourner Truth and Fredric Douglass - the replica of the white house - inside is dresses, and other Lincoln History

UswithYoungLincoln.jpg

A replica of Lincoln's Log Cabin - yes, you can walk inside too!

UsinfrontofthewhitehousewLincolns.jpg

Also there is a hands on place for kids to try the games, the clothes, size yourself up etc! Very hands on!

so many places within walking distance - capitol, the Lincoln home, but do take the drive out to New Salem!!
Lionoldcapitolbldg.jpg

we had a toy from McDonald's and DD started to play it like "flat stanley"!
Capitol
LioninLincolnParlor.jpg

and this is the Lincoln parlor!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter