Hooray! I'm dropping the DDP!

eliza61 said:
What I mean by freedom is simply not having to plan my day around my ADR's. I simply wake up and decide what park I want to go to and that's it. I see too many people saying "we have to be in so & so park at 6:00 oclock because we have dinner reservations" That's not a fun way for me to tour.

If you don't like to eat TS, it wouldn't make sense to go w/ the DDP. If you do, you would need ADRs anyway.

It's just a different kind of freedom, that's all. This isn't a DDP Good vs DDP Bad thread. It just goes to show there are many reasons for our choices, and isn't it great that we have so many options!

Whether it's where to eat or how eat, where to stay (onsite or off), whether to ME or rent a car, whether to drive or fly - We all look at our own circumstances and make our own choices. Are any of them wrong? I doubt it!

If you are on the plan (I am in September) eat well and be happy! If you are not on the plan (I am not in October) eat well anyway and be happy! :banana:

My dh and I love the "freedom" of calling in the am and making ADRs for either the resort or the park we will be in on that particular day without running around trying to make our ADR. We usually dine at 2 TS restaurants and only order a specialty desert once a twice a year, so the DDP does not work for us.

We also love dining offsite several times each trip for more romantic (quieter) type meals and enjoy eating at some of the DTD restaurants that are not on the DDP.

We were on the DDP in April and felt like it dicated our vacation! I am so happy we are not on it for our September trip, you are correct it is liberating!

Also, when we were on the DDP I was so concerned about getting the most for our money. I wouldn't even think about using a TS service credit at places we love like the Plaza or Beaches and Cream because their entrees were only $10. I would also not use TS credits for lunches as dinners were a much better use of credits. So needless to say all our TS were for dinners and I was always looking at my watch! So this trip (sans DDP) we have a nice mixture of TS ADR's for lunch and dinner (and if we decide that we just want to grab something light instead, no big deal) The way I figured it we will come out about $200 ahead not being on the DDP.

I hear you OP!!! We might consider it again if it were free, but would never pay for it. Before the free DDP, we'd never eaten at a TS restaurant at WDW. We're a CS meal type of family. The parks are the main reason we're there, not the food. We visited last month for 11 days but only visited the parks 3 days of the 11. When we had TS meals in the parks (Coral Reef and LeCellier at EPCOT) our meals took 2-3 hours!!! Our DDs were going nuts being in the restaurant instead of on TestTrack!

To be honest the main reason i am not doing the DDP is because for me it works out far to expensive. Im an AP holder and got a great room rate saving me appox $100 per night($50per person). To get DDP, i would have to pay full rate for the room plus the $40pp per day - making it $90per person per day! Not to mention i would also have to purchase tickets ontop of that as DDP has to be part of a package.

No need for either choice to be defensive on DDP .

I have been observing for awhile now that choosing to be on DDP or not requires that you have a great deal of recognition of your individual family's touring style, temperament, appetites, flexibility,budget, previous WDW experiences, etc.

My take has been that if it creates more stress and over-planning and anxiety, then it may not be for you! If it seems like an opportunity and works for your family, then it is!

When you sign up for DDP, free or not, there is no requirement to maximize credits, go to certain restaurants, be anywhere but where you made an ADR. There's not even a requirement to eat all the food or use all the credits. It really is pretty flexible in design. It's us who make is more or less than it is.:teeth:
Glad to hear some are happy with their choice to use DDP or not - tells me we are knowing ourselves better and meeting our vacation needs the best we know how! Isn't it great that Disney gives us sooo many options!?

melomouse said:
When you sign up for DDP, free or not, there is no requirement to maximize credits, go to certain restaurants, be anywhere but where you made an ADR. There's not even a requirement to eat all the food or use all the credits

I don't know what you mean by this statement. Of course there is no requirement to maximize credits, but you have to analyze the actual cost per meal versus money spent on the dining plan, that's just good financial sense. Why give Disney $38.99/per day if you only are eating $30 worth of food :confused3

dznymom1 said:
It's just a different kind of freedom, that's all. This isn't a DDP Good vs DDP Bad thread. It just goes to show there are many reasons for our choices, and isn't it great that we have so many options!

Whether it's where to eat or how eat, where to stay (onsite or off), whether to ME or rent a car, whether to drive or fly - We all look at our own circumstances and make our own choices. Are any of them wrong? I doubt it!

If you are on the plan (I am in September) eat well and be happy! If you are not on the plan (I am not in October) eat well anyway and be happy! :banana:

Great post! These boards are SO judgemental and opinionated! You hit the nail on the head-what's right for one is not necessarily right for another.

I recently started a thread on my experience with the DDP, making a few key points that I thought might help others. I did not criticize the DDP in anyway, but rather shared some mistakes I thought I had made.

Next thing you know my "vacation style" was under scrutiny. Apparently I did not eat enough or sit around enough to suit some people! Geez.... :confused3

kcrew said:
Great post! These boards are SO judgemental and opinionated! You hit the nail on the head-what's right for one is not necessarily right for another.

I recently started a thread on my experience with the DDP, making a few key points that I thought might help others. I did not criticize the DDP in anyway, but rather shared some mistakes I thought I had made.

Next thing you know my "vacation style" was under scrutiny. Apparently I did not eat enough or sit around enough to suit some people! Geez.... :confused3

Know exactly what u mean, one time i went to WDW i said that i didnt want to book any ADR's and just have a few days doing what i wanted and seeing where i ended up and it was like id said something completely absurd! :rotfl:

I get what you all mean, the reason Disney has a DDP anyway is to keep people on their property. If you dont have it your more likely to eat off site or 'heaven forbid' spend a day at a non disney park. Now for others it makes great sense, just depends on the vacation you want to have. I wish I could afford not to have it as I would love to go to Sea World, Emmerils, the beach etc, but after all the money I have spent on tickets, resort etc I cant justify it for a family our size. So we try to maximize for us everything Disney has and plan to do those off-site things next time. I can certainly see the advantage both ways though.

We Have Been To Wdw Many Times And Not Been On Ddp But This January We Are Going To Try One Of Those Never Leave Disney Vacations. So With Us Using Magical Express And Dining Plan We Are Looking Forward To Some New Places We Can Try. I Doubt This Will Be Our Regular Schedule But For Once In Awhile I Personally Can't Wait. Like A Previous Poster Had Written I'm Looking Forward To Giving An Outstanding Server Something Extra And Just Seeing What It's Like To Look At A Menu And Not Worry Really About Trying Some New Things.........................................

We're not doing the DDP because
a. We mostly eat at TS restaurants
b. There will be a couple of days we aren't in the parks during the day, only at night and we want to use those days to just relax. Trying to make ADR's for those days would just add more stress.

Now I do eat TS at least one a day and many times at places considered 2 credit meals. I book all my ADRS way in advance too. I still have no interest in the DDP. I save a lot of money using my AP for deluxe resorts, and by using my DDE. When we dine out regularly none of us find that we all need our own appetizers or even desserts. We can't eat that much and find it hard to believe anyone else can either without having a lot of waste. I'd have a lot of WAIST if I ate all that! I love planning my ADRs and choosing what park to be in on what day but having the DDP is just a pain. I see folks scurrying around finding the best restaurant to eek out the money free dining dollars, stressing over what snacks you can eat, what menu changes won't allow me that appetizer for 12, and the hunt for the ever disappearing lobster! I enjoy my vacation best when I too can go eat where I want, what I want, and not have to look at menu prices. I don't have to be on the DDP to do that either! OOP Unite!
Edited to add that I could have easily taken advantage of free dining the last 2 trips but didn't so there is no sour grapes involved! LOL!

Cruz Family said:
I know I will have the "freedom" of going to many new restaurants and ordering just about any app., entree, dessert, and drink I want. As well as the "freedom" not to look or worry about the prices. We will also have the "freedom" to try new things and not worry we will be hungry if we do not care for them. We also have the "freedom" not to worry about tax and tip with every meal and when we have really great service I can take out a little cash and truly show a waiter/waitress how much I appreciate their efforts.
I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder!
Anyway have a great and "free" trip.

Believe it or not many of us can do that too but are paying OOP. Not everyone needs the DDP to have that so called freedom. If DD wants her 4th Mickey bar of the day she gets it with no worry as to what snack credits we have. When we have really great service we too tip extra! No difference. No worry about prices either.

treehugger said:
I don't know what you mean by this statement. Of course there is no requirement to maximize credits, but you have to analyze the actual cost per meal versus money spent on the dining plan, that's just good financial sense. Why give Disney $38.99/per day if you only are eating $30 worth of food :confused3

Treehugger - what I meant was that if you are "analyzing" down to $10/day and it's about food, that's just too much stress added to the vacation planning mode - for ME. It sounds like you did some numbers crunching and found it doesn't work for you and yours. Of course if you already know you personally eat less than $30 worth of food each day on a typical vacation, it makes financial sense not to pay for a dining plan. Maybe people "maximizing credits" are tryng to justify their decisions??? I have no idea. I'll be free dining on the upcoming trip - maybe that shifts my perspective??

Many talk about the fact that it's "pre-paid" and that works easier for some families knowing costs upfront. Again - every family is different in terms of appetites, ages, amounts of food consumed and money spent on food and snacks.

DaisyD said:
Believe it or not many of us can do that too but are paying OOP. Not everyone needs the DDP to have that so called freedom. If DD wants her 4th Mickey bar of the day she gets it with no worry as to what snack credits we have. When we have really great service we too tip extra! No difference. No worry about prices either.

The reason I brought up the freedom thing was because people are acting like you do not have any on the DDP. Now I understand it is not for everyone esp. people with AP's & DDE. But you say if your DD wants her 4th Mickey bar of the day (I better not let my boys hear that or they will want to trade moms :lmao: )she gets it with no worry as to what snack credits we have. Well no you don't but I would rather keep track of a few credits (not exactly rocket science) then pay all that $.
All I know is on our last trip with out the DDP, for just what we paid eating the 1 TS per day would almost cover the cost of the plan. That cost was 4 of us splitting an app or two, getting an entree, and usually splitting a dessert or two. More food at our TS, CS meals, snacks, hummmm WORKS FOR ME!

Antonia said:
I know it sounds good and I was excited about it. However, it is just DH and me. We can eat late, early, whatever and we're just going to wing it. We are staying in a DVC villa and the DP would not be free to us anyway.
I feel so free! No more worrying about 10 TS credits, 10 CS credits, 10 snacks and if the menus have been changed due to free dining. I pretty much think for us, we'll break about even and now we can go with the flow. We do have some TS ADR's that we'll keep and we'll not worry about apps, entrees, desserts, etc. We'll order what we want when we want.
Now if it was free dining for us and we had a big family or kids that might be a different story.
I'm unbelievably happy to be OFF the DDP! My vacation's not all about eating anyway!

Amen! The DDP is amongst the worst ideas Disney ever came up with. Like you, we eat what, where, & when we want with worrying about how many credits or any of that nonsense. When we go to WDW we expect to pay "X" amount for food depending on how long we will be there and so we go in knowing this and don't worry about it when we're there! :cloud9: As a side though, what does DDP have to do with ADR? You need those regardless? :woohoo:

What DDP has to do with ADR's (reservations) is that it is increasingly difficult for non-property and non-DDP guests to get their first choice of restaurant on property unless they book a full 180 days out.

Not to say that there are not still dining options on a walk up basis, especially off season and especially for restaurants NOT on the Dining Plan.

My boyfriend and I had it a few weeks ago. I think the OP is making a GREAT choice. NEVER AGAIN. That was WAY too much food (luckily we gave a lot of it away to my friend's family)

(Personally, eating all that food is one reason that the majority of us need to lose some weight- me included!)

And for all the whining about DDP filling up the resturants. We got everything we wanted at times we wanted and no we didn't book very far in advance. (And it was at times a party of 8!) Granted we didn't want CRT, but we did get Hoop Dee Doo (floor table) Chef Mickey's, Ragland Road and Prime Time (my friend also got someplace at Epcot, but I was gone by then and don't recall where, my bet is Chefs de France)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter