• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hoop Dee Doo questions...

EveClark

Mouseketeer
Trying to work out some plans for our trip the first week after Thanksgiving... We were thinking about doing HDD on our arrival day, Sunday Nov 29.
We'll be using the DDXP so we're restricted to Cat 2 or Cat 3 (early day of traveling so the Cat 1 allowance for the 8:30 show isn't an option for us)
How are those seats for 2 adults and DS8 and DD4? It's hard to get a grasp on how big the dining hall is to see if those main floor seats are "too far" back. I don't think I'd mind sitting up in the balcony (kids would have a good view without having to look around an adult) but I'm not sure if I like the idea of having to repeatedly turn to see the show and then back to eat. Do all the balcony seats require you to turn your chair, or body, to see well?

Also, will we get our own table? Or is it "family style" like Biergarten?
Thanks!

All seats are fine.

You don't eat AND watch at the same time, very often. We like the balcony.

Separate tables.

Pretty much all the seats have a good view. The category 2 would be great if you get the Balcony, but Cat3 is still good.

Trying to work out some plans for our trip the first week after Thanksgiving... We were thinking about doing HDD on our arrival day, Sunday Nov 29.
We'll be using the DDXP so we're restricted to Cat 2 or Cat 3 (early day of traveling so the Cat 1 allowance for the 8:30 show isn't an option for us)
How are those seats for 2 adults and DS8 and DD4? It's hard to get a grasp on how big the dining hall is to see if those main floor seats are "too far" back. I don't think I'd mind sitting up in the balcony (kids would have a good view without having to look around an adult) but I'm not sure if I like the idea of having to repeatedly turn to see the show and then back to eat. Do all the balcony seats require you to turn your chair, or body, to see well?

Also, will we get our own table? Or is it "family style" like Biergarten?
Thanks!

Ok so first things first - you will have your own table- no family style seating...just family style eating! We went for the first time this past December and were seated Category 2 Main Floor so I don't have any balcony feedback to offer. Our table was about midway back on the left side when facing the stage. We are a family of 4 with kids 12 & 10. We loved these seats! We had an excellent view of the stage and since we were along the side we didn't feel like we were surrounded by other tables. The performers move around the room quite a bit and we were lucky enough to have several of them stop and hangout right next to our table - great photo opportunity - and they talked with us in character! From what I could tell most seats in the hall had a good view even though they all were from different vantage points.

We went a couple months ago for the first time. I know how you feel because I was trying so hard to study the photos of the place. We decided we wanted to sit upstairs to be slightly removed from the activity on the floor but have a good view. The tables that are Category 2 mostly face forward to the stage with you sitting on sides, not having to turn - but that is the same category that could land you on the first floor all the way in the back or sides. I didn't want to risk getting those. Also those dead center had a lighting/tech person right in front of them. We went with Category 3 so we did turn around but it really worked out just fine. We loved our seats and view. Your kids can stand at the rail and not be in any way. They pulled the tables apart to sit just your family. Food is brought from the other side of table and our service was great. A few times performers came upstairs and stood right by us.

Disney%20Feb%2014%20I%20578.jpg

Disney%20Feb%2014%20I%20588.jpg

Disney%20Feb%2014%20I%20576.jpg

Disney%20Feb%2014%20I%20574.jpg

Disney%20Feb%2014%20I%20620.jpg

iPhone%20Feb%2024%202014%201892.jpg

iPhone%20Feb%2024%202014%201894.jpg

iPhone%20Feb%2024%202014%201898.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for providing those pictures. We are going for the first time in a few weeks and have Cat. 3 seats. Can't wait!

The only thing I would caution you on is going there on arrival day. Are you sure you will be at the park early enough to make getting there on time relatively stress free? Also, are your children going to be content skipping the park on their first night for a dinner show? If your response is yes, then go for it! If not, I'd consider a different night. We usually went on our 3rd day. That offered a nice respite from the action after a couple of exhausting days running all over the world.

I have sat in Cat 2 this last October and we (my friend and I) were sitting on the floor near the middle, since we were a party of 2. In December 2013, my parents and a friend and I were sitting in the back in the back on a high top table all facing the front. As everyone has says, no matter where you sit in the hall, there isn't a bad seat in the house!! I love HDDR!! It has now become a tradition for me when I go.

Ok so first things first - you will have your own table- no family style seating...just family style eating! We went for the first time this past December and were seated Category 2 Main Floor so I don't have any balcony feedback to offer. Our table was about midway back on the left side when facing the stage. We are a family of 4 with kids 12 & 10. We loved these seats! We had an excellent view of the stage and since we were along the side we didn't feel like we were surrounded by other tables. The performers move around the room quite a bit and we were lucky enough to have several of them stop and hangout right next to our table - great photo opportunity - and they talked with us in character! From what I could tell most seats in the hall had a good view even though they all were from different vantage points.

Same seats we had when we went it sounds like, very good seats i think there no matter where you're seated.

Personally, I did feel rushed to wolf down each course in time to turn my seat back toward the stage. However, everybody says I'm a particularly slow eater so YMMV.

Thank you to everyone for all of the advice! Those pictures were great!!!
I'm taking each one into consideration and appreciate the replies!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter