Hoop Dee Doo - GRRR

JPGonzales

Mouseketeer
:mad:

I've been really wanting to try the Hoop Dee Doo and I finally talked DH into going. We are on the Dining plan and are set to do the two credits, but when I went online they wanted me to pay the bill in it's entirety before booking. For a family of four that is $251.96 up front out of our vacation fund. That is for tickets/tip/tax. In reality, at the end of the night, we would be just coming up with tip. We leave in less then a week. DH now doesn't want to do it, and I can't blame him. I was going to schedule this for our 13th night of our 14 day trip, thinking this would be a great way to end the trip. I'm sure they would refund the money, but not until the end of our trip. That is $251.96 that could go to souvenirs and such. I just don't know if I can justify it.

If I call tomorrow, instead of doing the reservations online, would they only make us use our credit card to hold our reservation like every other big-ticket meal?

I'm really quite ircked. I've never heard of such a thing out of the 8 trips to DW we have made. I'm totally ok with using our credit card to hold the reservation, but this seems a bit too far.

Anyone else having issue? Or am I just being easily de-pixied?

The dinner shows (Hoop, luau, Mickey's Barbecue) and CRT require full payment or use of dining credits when you make the reservation. At the bottom of the Hoop De Doo reservation page there is a blue link that says "Use my dining plan to book prepaid reservations." Click on the link, fill in your resort reservation information and you'll be able to use your dining plan credits for Hoop De Doo. The total amount owed should be $0.00, but you will still have to give your credit card info for the no show/cancellation guarantee.

You can also call the dining line and make the reservation.

You can use your dining credits for Cat 2 and 3 seats at all shows or Cat 1 seats for only the last show of the evening.

The dinner shows and CRT have been required full pre-payment for many years. This is not a recent policy.

Not what you asked, I know, but I would definitely DEFINITELY skip Hoop De Doo and spend the money in the shops instead. We did HDD on dining plan last year, and although it was an interesting experience, it's incredibly overrated. :)

Dh and I went to HDDR on our last trip alone and we loved it. We plan on taking our whole family of 6, plus grandma, grandpa and our nephew in October.

Like the pp said, use your package reservation number when you make your ADRs and your balance due will be $0.00. :)

I love HDDR, in all its cheesiness! It's hokey, old- fashioned and sentimental. If you like this kind of thing, you should definitely try it, and I think you've placed it well in your overall itinerary.

(Remember tip is included in that price, as is beer and wine.)

The only thing that I don't like about it is that I find it's a hassle to get there from just about anywhere! Slightly easier if you're coming from an MK area resort, because you can take a nice boat ride, but from anywhere else, you have to bus or taxi or drive to main entrance of ft, wilderness, then take internal bus to HDDR. Pain!

With the new times, you could possibly come over from MK, hit the 6:15 show, and boat back to MK for fireworks. That sounds like a great way to end your vacation!

The only thing that I don't like about it is that I find it's a hassle to get there from just about anywhere! Slightly easier if you're coming from an MK area resort, because you can take a nice boat ride, but from anywhere else, you have to bus or taxi or drive to main entrance of ft, wilderness, then take internal bus to HDDR. Pain!

With the new times, you could possibly come over from MK, hit the 6:15 show, and boat back to MK for fireworks. That sounds like a great way to end your vacation!

We have the 6:15 show booked. It has been years and years since i went to HDDR so I am trying to get my bearings. My original plan was to head over to the MKto see the Flag Retreat at 5PM. That would give us plenty of time to get to HDDR, even taking into consideration we would not know exactly where we were going.

Well the time changed from 7:15 to 6:15 and I was told I need to be there 30 minutes prior to the 6:15 time. We plan on taking the boat. Can you give me guidance? How long should I plan to get there and do we take an internal bus after we get off of the boat? I think my 30 minutes left after the FR ends may be too tight.

Just got off the phone with Disney. Reserved and because we had confirmed Dining plan, we did not get charged.

Thanks for the advice. Phew.

next question:

We will be at Downtown Disney prior, can we just take the bus to Fort Wilderness directly from there? Is the Pioneer Hall to far from the buses?

Just got off the phone with Disney. Reserved and because we had confirmed Dining plan, we did not get charged.

Thanks for the advice. Phew.

next question:

We will be at Downtown Disney prior, can we just take the bus to Fort Wilderness directly from there? Is the Pioneer Hall to far from the buses?

From DTD, take the FW bus to the campground and then you have to transfer to the internal bus. It drops off right by Pioneer Hall.

It depends on what time you get out. I'd say take the boat back to MK, then pick up a bus back to pop from there. You might end up having to wait on the water during Wishes, but that's not such a bad thing :thumbsup2
Otherwise, a via-park transfer is probably quickest. DTD isn't a good choice, IMO

When we've come out of Hoop Dee Doo there have always been resort buses waiting to take people "home". Do they not do that anymore?

When we've come out of Hoop Dee Doo there have always been resort buses waiting to take people "home". Do they not do that anymore?

Oh, that would be nice. We are going to the 930 show on the 30th, so I'm thinking it will be late and I looked at the calendar and MK is open till 10. Will the buses even be running by the time we get there?

Does anyone know if they have buses that will take us back to Pop from there?

Oh, that would be nice. We are going to the 930 show on the 30th, so I'm thinking it will be late and I looked at the calendar and MK is open till 10. Will the buses even be running by the time we get there?

Does anyone know if they have buses that will take us back to Pop from there?

This was our experience last summer. After our show was over, we were directed over to the bus waiting area and told someone our resort name where we were staying. They directed us to a bus going over to our area. It was awesome!

;) The buses will be waiting to take you back to your resort.

When we did this last Oct-me, my Mom and Dad, we were directed to the bus going back to AKV where we were staying...

1.first we stopped at SOG
2.Polynesian
3.POFQ
4.ASMu
5.ASMo
6.AKV Kidani

The bus driver was great and he and some of the other passengers were nice. The bus was full and I knew we were in trouble after we loaded, when the Driver asks-"Do we have anybody going to SOG?". So I didn't mind the experience...but it was an experience. This took about an hour. Just letting you know my experience. MK closed at 9 that evening and this was after the 7:15 show--the boat had already left with other passengers.

I love HDDR and have hoped that we could do it in Oct but I think that is when it is scheduled for a refurb.

All three of the "shows"...Hoop, Luau and Backyard Barbecue...are fun if you don't put your expectations high on the food.

But to be honest - none of them are worth the price they charge now.

As a CM...they charged in the forties for an adult ticket about 10 years ago...now its about 70...and that's is far over inflation.

And they are HUGE into pre sells and guarantees now...which is a financial strain sometimes...but i actually do like that.
Because though the spent ten years (ever since they dumped the customer friendly priority seating option for the really unpleasant firm booking system) saying that over bookings and no shows weren't a problem...and lo and behold - the scaling back of free dining and the implementation of credit card guarantees/pre-payments has miraculously seemed to loosen everything up in the last two years..
i would be excited now...except they cut corners on food quality pretty much across the board.

But back to hoop dee do...i would have to lean toward your husbands take - its just not worth it. its not worth the cash or the dining credits...and can be exchanged for two better options for the same price - just my opinion. And payment up front is a little ridiculous...even if they'll refund you if something happens where you can't make it...its a pain in the butt and you'll have to go through a bunch of junk to get it done.

Ironically...last night on a tv show (it was a politico...so take it with a grain of salt) disneyland was used as an example for the greed of corporate america - the example was that the price for a ticket to disneyland in 1982 was $12.00...adjusted for inflation - that would be $28.00 today.

What is the actual price? $87.00...$435.00 for a family of four.

Granted its an apples to oranges comparison - but here it fits a little. a lot of what they sell now is far beyond the conceivable value.

they aren't "selling memories"...they're selling "luxury 5 star premium memories"

It's a great show and I believe the tip is already included in that .. you won't have to come up wtih it after..

Thanks everyone for your advice. I've been wanting to try this for quite a while. We are doing 2 - 2 credit meals this trip and it will probably cut into our dining plan and we will end up paying out of pocket, but this trip is a trifecta of celebrations - Sweet 16, 10 year old's bday and the Hubbie just graduated from going back to college. I am hoping for some massive public humiliation for them.:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter