• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hoop Dee Do or no?

VeronicaB

Mouseketeer
I'm trying to think of things we didn't do last time we were there. I've read good things about it, should we do it? We'll have the DxDP. Thanks!

Took my mom for Mother's Day a couple of years ago and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. If DH liked live shows, we would absolutely be going in June. :sad:

Did it once, glad we did, but would not do it again..just too many other restaurants/events on the to do list, but definitely go once!

We love the HDDR and recommend it.
We went when our children were young, and I was delighted to go with my adult DS as he shared the experience he loved with his 3 and 5 yo's. We have also gone with all adults 30's to 60's and we have had a blast each time we have gone.
The food is good "down home cooking", certainly not gourmet, but good. It includes all you care to eat salad, corn bread, fried chicken, ribs, mashed potatoes, baked beans, corn and strawberry shortcake. The price includes tax, gratuities and beverages, including beer, wine and sangria.
The show is a Western themed show full of singing, dancing, audience participation and corny jokes. It is lively and full of action. We love it and I think your little ones will enjoy it, at their level.
Have Fun

I'd recommend anyone to see it at least once, and then you would decide if you want to go back and see it again in the future. But it's worth doing at least once.

I wrote a review about out HDDR experience on my wordpress blog if you'd like to read about it:
http://wp.me/p1RJwY-16

I recently downloaded almost 2000 photos from my SD card, a lot of photos from HDDR were on that card, and I posted some on another blog entry, the link to the photos is here:
http://wp.me/p1RJwY-67

pixiedust:

We tried HDDR for the first time last year. My DH was very pessimistic about the whole thing when I described it to him and asked if he wanted to go. He really is not a fan of the "audience participation" aspect of show like this.

We ended up upstairs (category 3) because we booked just a few days before. I have to say that seating really made it work for my DH. At no time did the actors try to get our table involved.

We LOVED it. After eating a lot of signature dinners, it was kind of nice to eat very simple food. I remember fried chicken, salad, and corn. My DH still says this is his favorite meal - in fact we are planning it for our Sept trip and we rarely do Disney restaurants more than once.

Category 3 really works nicely if you have small children or may need to leave early. Our 3yo was at that "must visit every bathroom" stage and we needed to get up a couple of times, and being upstairs we didn't disturb anyone else. We also decided at the last minute to leave a little early to catch Wishes and were able to do so without looking rude.

Of course, best part in my DH's opinion is tips and beer/wine are included in the price, even on the DDP. I will say I did order a different wine - I really am not that choosy about my wine, but that stuff was undrinkable (IMHO).

Love the HDDR, would definitely want to be on the floor and not in the balcony. Half the entertainment for us is the character interaction. By far the best dinner show on Disney property

HDDR one of those Disney "must go at least once" restaurants. The show is corny but alot of fun, the food is good fried chicken, corn, cornbread, etc. Nothing fancy but good comfort food. You really want to ask for a table on the floor not the balcony. All in all, a great dinner show.

The campgrounds are really nice just to walk around. If you are going to be there are Halloween or Christmas, it is amazing to see how everyone decorates their campsites. Not sure if the animals and the stables are still in the back.

Although we have not personally been to it I only hear great things about it! Please feel free to check out a fellow DISer's review of their experience with food photos:

HDDR Review with photos

Hoop Dee DO IT!

One of the best times I've had at Disney with my DS. We had the center front row table on the floor for 2 (didn't know till I got there how good the seats were). The show was great, the food pretty good (includes beer!) and the service is friendly. No complaints and I think worth the price.

Have fun!! We've done it many times....our kids love it! Debating whether to go again this trip :goodvibes

Can someone tell me if there are any loud noises in this show (like cap guns, balloons popping, etc?) We have a family member who jumps at anything like that and dreads shows knowing loud sounds are forthcoming. Thanks for the info. in advance!

I'll echo what just about everyone else is saying and give it a glowing recommendation. We did it last September for the first time, and it was one of the highlights of the trip. As for the category, we booked category 3 (balcony), but I'm assuming it was a slow night because we were upgraded to category 2 (rear floor). The floor was great, but I could see the balcony having its benefits if you don't care about interaction and want to look down on the action.

I can't wait to go. Just made reservation for October. I'm in the everyone should try it once category as well.

Hoop De Do was fine, but not excellent. the food is good, but not astounding. The entertainment was fine, but it had nothing to do with Disney. My family prefers Mickey's Backyard BBQ, which was a lot more fun, more Disney-themed, and had way better food. It's also more fun for younger kids, where as at HDD, you have a show geared towards older kids and adults. You'll still have a great time at Hoop De Do, but I would recommend the Backyard BBQ.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter