Hoop de Doo or Mickey's BBQ?

MicheleC

DVC Member--BWV and BL
We wanted to try something different on our spring trip. We have been to the luau at the Poly which we really enjoyed but we were thinking about trying either Hoop De Doo or Mickey's Backyard BBQ. I was wondering which one most people recommend...pros cons...We will have 4 children with us, boy age 8, girl age 8 and two more girls 11 and 12. Thanks!

HDD is a really fun evening. You're guaranteed to come out of there singing.

HDDR!!!! We went for the 1st time in '09 and the whole family loved it! Our DDs were 6, 11, & 16 at the time. When we started making plans for our upcoming trip in May, HDDR was their first request.

HDDR is performed over 1000 times a years and MBYBBQ is done about 80 times a year. Guess which is more popular? And that is what you'll get here, popular opinion. BTW, I highly recommend HDDR.

We have done the luau several times and loved it, but finally got my DH to try the HDDR. It was a huge hit!!! We had second row and my DH got picked on my one of the actresses. The food was great. You could get beer by the pitcher not just by the glass. Service above average. It was more fun than the luau. We will do both again, but would recommend the HDDR.

Have fun!

HDDR! We took the kids (then DD10 and DS15) last December. They STILL talk about how great it was.

HDDR, Mickeys BBQ is done outside so you have to deal with weather and bugs. I'd worry about it being too hot or worse raining. We tried HDDR 6 yrs ago and my DD 11 at the time fell in love with it. We've been back 8 times and her fave character is the one with the funny laugh. During one of them Two Bits sat at our table and pretended he was going to eat with us and he asked DD 12 at that time if he was her fave she said no Miss Claire is. He called over Miss Claire and said this is your biggest fan. Miss Claire is a riot she has this infectous(sp) laugh, she says she doesn't look so big. Caitlin was in heaven, my only regret is I didn't get a photo of them because I knew she was going back on stage and I didn't want to blind her with the flash. :( my bad.
But please try it your kids will love it. We laugh so much and it just goes so well with a Disney Trip. Laughing with your family = good times.

We did Mickey's BBQ this past summer and both my DDs (4 and 6) loved it! The food was fairly typical BBQ fare: chicken, hot dogs, corn on the cob. You had unlimited Mickey bars :yay: and beer and wine included.

The character interaction was outstanding. You could get autographs before and during breaks, but the best part was the dancing. During the whole "Locomotion" my daughter got to hold Minnie's hand and lead the train around the floor. Both girls got a chance to dance with Mickey, Minnie, Chip, Dale, and Goofy. We got great photos and video.

Regarding weather, IT was 100 degrees that day and we really did not feel uncomfortable at the BBQ. We dressed in sundresses and shorts and were just fine. And we are delicate tundra flowers that don't normally do that well in the heat.

I dragged my husband and youngest daughter kicking and screaming to the HDDR. They wanted NOTHING to do with it.

Well Now we aren't allowed to THINK about Disney without talking about how awesome it was and they are begging to go back!

I haven't been to the BBQ but we do HDDR every single time we go to WDW. It is usually the first meal of our trip. We love the food and the entertainment. The show doesn't ever get old!:goodvibes:goodvibes

We wanted to try something different on our spring trip. We have been to the luau at the Poly which we really enjoyed but we were thinking about trying either Hoop De Doo or Mickey's Backyard BBQ. I was wondering which one most people recommend...pros cons...We will have 4 children with us, boy age 8, girl age 8 and two more girls 11 and 12. Thanks!

I have not tried Mickey's BBQ, but from what I have read about it, it seems more geared towards younger kids. Without knowing the likes/dislikes of your children, so I could be wrong, the older ones may like HDDR more. I would suggest going to youtube and doing a search and watching some videos to get a feel for it. That is what I did and found that it would not have been right for my group this past trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter