Hoop De Do food options

MikeAidanEoinMom

Mom to Three Sons
We have a reservation for August at Hoop De Do. We have two REALLY picky Adult eaters in our group Are there are other food options it is mainly the meat they will not eat (they DO eat meat just not fried chicken or ribs) or will they be eating sides as their meal? Thanks

The menu is pretty much the menu just like any other restaurant. I'm sure they have limited options for allergies.

My wife who does not eat meat has been offered spaghetti, salmon and a plate of grilled vegetables before.

Ohhhh that sounds like options off of the Trails End Buffett which i didn't think about. They usually have brisket, ham, and some type of fish dish each night.

A Philisophical question -- I really don't understand
Why would anyone make a reservation at a restaurant where they would not eat what is offered on the menu?
I get allergies and medical conditions and Disney does a great job for these needs. But it is evolving into more. I have read here that BOG is a test of providing limited substitutions and if it works there it will be more widespread soon. I worry that, once again, abuse by a few will negatively impact the majority.
Just my thoughts and my opinion

My DS is 3 and very picky and they brought him a plate of spaghetti and meatballs. He was in heaven!

Because often times, reservations are made for more than just 1 person. So, if an establishment can make arrangements for someone (or people) in a group, the group can still partake in whatever the experience is. Between character meals and dinner shows, there are quite a few experiences where instances like this are not a concern.

Getting grilled vegetables at Hoop De Doo is not the same thing as asking for a hamburger at Tokyo Dining.

If the menu and WDW state no substitutions are allowed, then expecting them would be foolish, but at this time they are allowed and for the most part, accommodated very happily.

Well first of all there are 8 of us the other 6 have no problems with the menu. Second we want to see the show this is more then just dinner. If we have to fill up on sides so be it. I know some places offer other options so I was just asking.

I would recommend letting your server know (or whoever seats you) that they are pescatarians (if they eat fish, otherwise vegetarians). Assuming the listed substitutions are things they eat. A meal can be made of the salad, cornbread, beans, and corn, though, if all those are eaten. So good!

We have a reservation for August at Hoop De Do. We have two REALLY picky Adult eaters in our group Are there are other food options it is mainly the meat they will not eat (they DO eat meat just not fried chicken or ribs) or will they be eating sides as their meal? Thanks
They do a great vegan meal if you give them heads up. Grilled veggies including portabella mushrooms.

I dont eat meat on bones, or strawberries! Unless you tell them ahead of time, on the reservation, you can not substitute anything. Good thing about Disney is there is always more food around the corner! I was still full from lunch, so not having dinner didnt bother me and saved room for ice cream later :)

We just went to HDD for the first time this April. DD was sitting there not eating and our waiter was so sweet and offered her many different things. She ended up getting the spaghetti with plain sauce (she doesn't eat meatballs). We didn't ask, but that was really nice that the waiter offered.

For the person who questioned "why" we would go when we knew DD wouldn't eat the food…we went because the rest of us would eat the food and we ALL really wanted to see the show, which we did and we loved it. Also, at $272 for 4 people, them bringing out a plate of spaghetti didn't kill them.

A Philisophical question -- I really don't understand
Why would anyone make a reservation at a restaurant where they would not eat what is offered on the menu?
I get allergies and medical conditions and Disney does a great job for these needs. But it is evolving into more. I have read here that BOG is a test of providing limited substitutions and if it works there it will be more widespread soon. I worry that, once again, abuse by a few will negatively impact the majority.
Just my thoughts and my opinion
The Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Review is NOT just a restaurant - it's an amazing show that I think everyone should see at least once! It's such a hoot, really. And, since it's quite a pricey show to see, it's always nice to know what kinds of options there could be for people who may not care for the standard menu. It would really be a shame for a family to miss the show simply because someone in their party doesn't eat fried chicken or ribs. Plus, like @LSUfan4444 mentioned, Disney makes accommodations like this very happily and I'm sure they'll put a stop to it if they felt it negatively impacted the majority.

Well first of all there are 8 of us the other 6 have no problems with the menu. Second we want to see the show this is more then just dinner. If we have to fill up on sides so be it. I know some places offer other options so I was just asking.
We're glad you stopped by with your great question! The DIS is definitely full of lots of knowledgeable folks who love to share their experiences on things like this with others so please ask away! :flower3:

My daughter has some dietary restrictions, and has never had a problem requesting an alternate meal. I'm not aware of any way to note this when making the reservation: she just mentions it to the server once seated. Typically the chef comes out and speaks with her, and happily offers her something else. Last week she got grilled chicken and vegetables and she said it was delicious!

One could make a meal out of the endless salad, potatoes, baked beans, cornbread and shortcake.

Hmmmmmm. I say tell them they are adults and if they don't have dietary concerns to suck it up and eat what's offered or don't. No one that does not have a medical problem dies from missing one meal.

My DH won’t eat the meat at HDDR; he doesn’t eat pork at all and won’t eat chicken if it is fried. The rest of the family will eat it but I have to say it isn’t our favorite food/meal. We have been several times and each time DH has been brought a veggie plate. I have the say the veggie plate was nothing great, it really was just a plate of steamed veggies but at least he had something to eat besides cornbread and salad. The baked beans at HDDR are not vegetarian. I usually call Disney Dining a few days before the show and have a notation put on the reservation. We have never had a problem.

Hmmmmmm. I say tell them they are adults and if they don't have dietary concerns to suck it up and eat what's offered or don't. No one that does not have a medical problem dies from missing one meal.
No reason to miss a meal if you're at the Hoop-Dee-Doo. As we all know, the restaurants at Disney are happy to make accommodations to what they serve - too expensive to just not eat anything. Obviously the choices are limited to what they have available, but there's usually always other options.

I say tell them they are adults and if they don't have dietary concerns to suck it up and eat what's offered or don't. No one that does not have a medical problem dies from missing one meal.

So just because you won't die, you shouldnt ask for a substitution that is offered daily? You've never asked to swap a side item, for a salad without _________, or for a burger with no __________, etc. If we did everything we didn't want to do, simply because it wouldn't kill us, vacations would be dreadful.

Nobody is suggestion to make specific requests of things not on the menu, simply that options are available if you inquire and it may vary on what is offered from day to day.

Oh, my. So because mayo won't kill me, I should just suck it up and either eat it or go spend more money on another meal somewhere else . . . yeah, not happening.

My DD wants to go to the Perfectly Princess Tea Party again (we did it once when she was 5). The adult sandwiches are all mayo based and if I eat it I'll spend the rest of the day feeling miserable. Thank goodness Disney doesn't feel I should have to eat it if it's going to make me sick . . . even if it isn't going to kill me. They very easily accommodated me and made me several really good sandwiches. Can't wait to go back.

OP, it never hurts to ask. Disney isn't going to let anyone go hungry. If it's like a PP stated before that the substitution will come from Trails End, take a look at their menu to get an idea of what may be offered. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter