• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Honeymoon Photo Shoot DPS or . . .

LLLBelle

DIS Veteran
I am not getting married at Disney (almost happened) however, I thought the idea of the honeymoon shoot in Epcot was awesome and we actually have it booked as of right now. However, some wedding "issues" have increased the amount that we are paying for the wedding and are eating some of the honeymoon funds.

So my question is, do we just keep the Epcot shoot (we want to get the CD as well since we figure it's cheaper than paying for just the prints we want), or do we check into some of the wonderful photographers that you all have suggested for an engagement shoot of sorts and maybe just get a CD package through them and we can get a disney photo album to. I know it would not be in the park, but we could maybe do BW, Poly, and AK, maybe. Some examples may be helpful as well.

I don't want to cancel it all together, but I want nice pictures, especially since our wedding photography is pretty inexpensive and we really don't have a lot of nice pictures together.

I thank you for your input.

Personally, I would go with an outside photographer and do a shoot at the resorts. It will probably be cheaper, for one thing. And while Disney's photography is improving, it still seems spotty - some brides get great in-park pix, others get shots that are just so-so or even bad. With an outside photographer, you know what you're getting and have a wider range of styles to choose from.

Oh! I missed the part where you asked for examples.

Here's a recent thread discussing good places for engagement photos: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?p=32410567

Here's another one with lots of examples: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2194445

And here are a few pix from our engagement shoot at Wilderness Lodge and the Polynesian with Root Photography...

111_0432.jpg

130_0488.jpg

066_0261_1.jpg

139_0520_1.jpg

117_0456.jpg

Personally, I would go with an outside photographer and do a shoot at the resorts. It will probably be cheaper, for one thing. And while Disney's photography is improving, it still seems spotty - some brides get great in-park pix, others get shots that are just so-so or even bad. With an outside photographer, you know what you're getting and have a wider range of styles to choose from.

That's honestly what I was thinking. The more I think about it, the more $600 seems like a lot when you don't know what you'll end up with. DFi was not in love with the photo shoot idea at first, now he loves the idea, I just have to convince him that an outside photographer may be a better choice.

So if we go the route of an outside photographer, the question would become, which one to choose??

BTW, your pictures are gorgeous!

Oh! I missed the part where you asked for examples.

Here's a recent thread discussing good places for engagement photos: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?p=32410567

Here's another one with lots of examples: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2194445

And here are a few pix from our engagement shoot at Wilderness Lodge and the Polynesian with Root Photography...

111_0432.jpg

130_0488.jpg

066_0261_1.jpg

139_0520_1.jpg

117_0456.jpg

Thank you Thank you! I have seen some of the pictures (well I can't see any of them on my work computer :sad2:), they are all gorgeous. It's a good amount to show DFi when I get home tonight. I think I am leaning towards the Roots, I seem to like their style the best.

Don't do the Disney honeymoon shoot. I did it as a substitution for escape photography because I had outside photographers at my wedding ceremony.

Ugh. I guess I will be brave and bite the bullet to help someone else...

Now I will preface this by saying that we did these on our last day....like 2 hours before Magical Express picked us up. In hindsight, I wish I got my hair professionally done because, oy, Florida humidity....I digress...

I'll also say that I don't even think most of these are technically bad. If my hair was a little nicer, I would really like some of them. HOWEVER...just keep the Disney photography prices in mind. You could probably get twice as much for half as much from an outside photographer at a resort.

1. You can't even tell we are in Epcot for the photos.

I can almost understand the MK photoshoot because, well, you are clearly in the Magic Kingdom. As you can see, my shots do not scream Epcot. Maybe to us, because we all know disers are obsessive Disneyphiles...but to the average person, no. Is it worth $600+ for this?

151560609-090.jpg

151560609-099.jpg

151560609-105.jpg

Ok now to be fair, here is a shot where the themeing is more visible. But again, worth $600?

151560609-075.jpg

2. Photoshopping

Ok now this is a preference thing, but I am not crazy about Disney's photoshopping style. Some people like the excessive blur and candlelit look. Not me. Again, it's preference, but here is what you get.

151560609-110.jpg

151560609-097.jpg

Ok, there you go. Keep in mind, these are the pretty ok ones. I am not even going to show the shadows in face, totally over exposed ones.

If you want more details or more examples, just let me know. To close though, just compare Carrie's to mine. :lmao: nuff said. Go with an outside person at the Poly or GF beach. Maybe even the Boardwalk. My outside photographers were Studio 222 (http://the222blog.blogspot.com/) There are some teasers in my TR, but you can also gauge their style by perusing their blog.

Sorry to pirate: but I don't remember ever seeing that picture of you two with the rainbow Carrie - that's awesome!! And Katie - I don't think those are bad at all! I really like the one in France with the tower in the back!

Well, actually I might be able to contribute something other than just my worship :worship:of Carrie's Roots photos - we had a snazzy Roots Shoot at the Boardwalk - here's the link to our slideshow.

http://clients.rootweddings.com/megrob/engagement/

Rob (DF) and I are slightly insane, so please don't think that you will need to do the chicken dance, YMCA or Macarena in your shots! lol :banana:

Another vote for outside photography...like Princess Shea, we did a honeymoon shoot, but ours was at DHS...we liked our photographer, and it was a really fun experience, but we also knew we had other pictures coming from the actual wedding, so we told ourselves that if these weren't fantastic it wasn't going to be the end of the world...our pictures were just kinda so so...if our wedding pictures had turned out like some of the honeymoon shoot pics I would have been a little bummed.
Here are some of our honeymoon shoot pictures...

Scan003.jpg

Scan001.jpg

Like Katie said...if you glanced at the pictures, you would never know they were taken in a Disney park, granted they probably would have turned out a little better had we not dressed like slackers and my hair wasn't so huge. With that said...if you want really nice pictures, there are many talented photographers whose work you can preview before hand, that way you know what you're getting. With Disney you don't usually know who your photographer is going to be until the day of.
Good luck with whatever you decide!:goodvibes

Don't do the Disney honeymoon shoot. I did it as a substitution for escape photography because I had outside photographers at my wedding ceremony.

Ugh. I guess I will be brave and bite the bullet to help someone else...

Now I will preface this by saying that we did these on our last day....like 2 hours before Magical Express picked us up. In hindsight, I wish I got my hair professionally done because, oy, Florida humidity....I digress...

I'll also say that I don't even think most of these are technically bad. If my hair was a little nicer, I would really like some of them. HOWEVER...just keep the Disney photography prices in mind. You could probably get twice as much for half as much from an outside photographer at a resort.

1. You can't even tell we are in Epcot for the photos.

I can almost understand the MK photoshoot because, well, you are clearly in the Magic Kingdom. As you can see, my shots do not scream Epcot. Maybe to us, because we all know disers are obsessive Disneyphiles...but to the average person, no. Is it worth $600+ for this?

151560609-090.jpg

151560609-099.jpg

151560609-105.jpg

Ok now to be fair, here is a shot where the themeing is more visible. But again, worth $600?

151560609-075.jpg

2. Photoshopping

Ok now this is a preference thing, but I am not crazy about Disney's photoshopping style. Some people like the excessive blur and candlelit look. Not me. Again, it's preference, but here is what you get.

151560609-110.jpg

151560609-097.jpg

Ok, there you go. Keep in mind, these are the pretty ok ones. I am not even going to show the shadows in face, totally over exposed ones.

If you want more details or more examples, just let me know. To close though, just compare Carrie's to mine. :lmao: nuff said. Go with an outside person at the Poly or GF beach. Maybe even the Boardwalk. My outside photographers were Studio 222 (http://the222blog.blogspot.com/) There are some teasers in my TR, but you can also gauge their style by perusing their blog.

I see what you mean. You both still look adorable in the pictures, but if I didn't know it was Disney, I would never has guessed. I looove Studio 222, your teasers from your wedding are beautiful. I am going to contact them about the shoot, I wish I could afford to have them for my wedding in Puerto Rico.

Sorry to pirate: but I don't remember ever seeing that picture of you two with the rainbow Carrie - that's awesome!! And Katie - I don't think those are bad at all! I really like the one in France with the tower in the back!

Well, actually I might be able to contribute something other than just my worship :worship:of Carrie's Roots photos - we had a snazzy Roots Shoot at the Boardwalk - here's the link to our slideshow.

http://clients.rootweddings.com/megrob/engagement/

Rob (DF) and I are slightly insane, so please don't think that you will need to do the chicken dance, YMCA or Macarena in your shots! lol :banana:

I did see your photos on another thread, they are beautiful. I love the Roots style as well and will probably price them as well.

Another vote for outside photography...like Princess Shea, we did a honeymoon shoot, but ours was at DHS...we liked our photographer, and it was a really fun experience, but we also knew we had other pictures coming from the actual wedding, so we told ourselves that if these weren't fantastic it wasn't going to be the end of the world...our pictures were just kinda so so...if our wedding pictures had turned out like some of the honeymoon shoot pics I would have been a little bummed.
Here are some of our honeymoon shoot pictures...

Scan003.jpg

Scan001.jpg

Like Katie said...if you glanced at the pictures, you would never know they were taken in a Disney park, granted they probably would have turned out a little better had we not dressed like slackers and my hair wasn't so huge. With that said...if you want really nice pictures, there are many talented photographers whose work you can preview before hand, that way you know what you're getting. With Disney you don't usually know who your photographer is going to be until the day of.
Good luck with whatever you decide!:goodvibes

You two still look adorable in the pictures. I do agree with you and Katie, that you really can never guess that you are in Disney.

I do appreciate all the input you ladies have given me. By the overwhelming opinions on NOT using DPS, I will be contacting a couple photographers over the next week, at least Studio 222 and Roots to start.

Honestly I would go with DPS and do the honeymoon shoot. I have viewed a lot of DPS photos over the past several years and LOVE most of them. The honeymoon shots I have seen are fabulous and typically you can tell the couple is at Disney. While I realize that there is a large majority (or perhaps vocal majority) on the DIS that don't favor DPS there are a lot of other forums where DPS does not get as much negative publicity. We had them for our MK photos as well as for a surprise bridal breakfast and teh photos were fabulous.

You can always take photos around the resorts, however, having a honeymoon session in the parks is a one time thing.

We had a honeymoon shoot in Epcot 4 years ago and I would do it again in a heartbeat! We got to walk the World Showcase before others were there (except tours) and it was a truly memorable event. I don't remember the photographers name right now (maybe Paul but I am not on the computer with my notes on it). We had a blast with him. Some of the pictures might not have been the absolute best but the memories were. Some of the shots he got are favorites and have a proud place on my wall at home.

I had the session comped since I was using outside photography for my wedding but I honestly would have paid for it if I had to just because the memories made it priceless.

I haven't use DPS, but we had the Roots for an Engagement Session on our last trip and here are some pics, will have the rest hopefully soon but I love these.

IMG_91142copy.jpg

IMG_9370x.jpg

I think you just need to look at pics from each and judge for yourself. Photography really is a personal decision. I love the Roots' style, so I knew I was definitely going with them. I did a photopass share with a few people on another board so I got my in park pics too and a few came out really good. ;)

I haven't use DPS, but we had the Roots for an Engagement Session on our last trip and here are some pics, will have the rest hopefully soon but I love these.

IMG_91142copy.jpg

IMG_9370x.jpg

I think you just need to look at pics from each and judge for yourself. Photography really is a personal decision. I love the Roots' style, so I knew I was definitely going with them. I did a photopass share with a few people on another board so I got my in park pics too and a few came out really good. ;)

Thank you for sharing, I totally agree that it will be a personal decision. I do love the Roots and I saw your pics on their blog, but they will be out of town the week of our honeymoon :sad2: so I have been looking into Studio 222. But I would love use them for the shoot.

Aww, that's a shame that they will be away. Studio 222 I think is very similar in style so you should still get great pics!

We HATED our honeymoon shoot in Epcot. We love Epcot but we had no great pics. Luckily it was at a time where it was "free" since we used Misty at our wedding but the only pics we have are the 2 that come wiht the package and it was so hard to pick because there were no great ones. Now, I would book a package with Misty and go around a resort or the Boardwalk for great shots. No way would I pay for a HM shoot myself....JMO but our pics were just eh. I don't have examples since we didn't buy any pics. All I have are wedding pics around the BW from Misty. I would be happy to post some if you would like to see shots around the BW.

We HATED our honeymoon shoot in Epcot. We love Epcot but we had no great pics. Luckily it was at a time where it was "free" since we used Misty at our wedding but the only pics we have are the 2 that come wiht the package and it was so hard to pick because there were no great ones. Now, I would book a package with Misty and go around a resort or the Boardwalk for great shots. No way would I pay for a HM shoot myself....JMO but our pics were just eh. I don't have examples since we didn't buy any pics. All I have are wedding pics around the BW from Misty. I would be happy to post some if you would like to see shots around the BW.

I never checked out Misty, but I really like her pictures on her website and her portrait session includes more than Studio 222. The pictures in your sig even look beautiful. I think we are definitely going to go with an outside photographer since our wedding budget has been strangled and I don't want to waste $600, if we are not sure we are going to get decent pictures. We're still in Disney, so that's all that matters.

We just have to decide where to do the pics though, DFi wants AKL and the Poly/beach area and I want BW and the Poly/beach area. Neither of us have been to Disney in about 10 years so I'm not sure. But the BW pics I have seen are gorgeous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter