• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Honeymoon headgear options

EJ Gracie

Earning My Ears
What can we do for headgear? Fiance is not too keen on going to the parks with mouse ears or the like...so what do you all think?

Also, being new to this forum, what perks have people gotten on their honeymoons at WDW? Sounds like a selfish question, but I am curious...

Hubby2b is the same.... it's going to take a lot of convincing. I'm hoping to AT LEAST get him to wear regular mouse ears with GROOM monogrammed on it vs. the bride and groom ears which seem like more of a hassle. The groom is a top hat and the bride has a veil... IMHO I just don't think I like it. :(

(here's a pic )

I know you posted this a while back, and may have gotten some answers by now, but I wanted to respond to your question about perks. My DH and I had our disneymoon in 1999. We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge in one of their Honeymoon Rooms. We received the standard bride and groom hats, but we bought pins to wear around because the hats were just too cumbersome. Everywhere...and I do mean EVERYWHERE...we went, people were handing us free stuff. We received free champagne and strawberries at least once per day. When cast members noticed our pins (which were gifts bought from the Disney Store before going by the way) we received things like a free christmas ornament, free t-shirt, upgrades in seating at character breakfasts, a complementary picture at Epcot, and tons of other stuff. It really pays to make it known that you're on your honeymoon.

We had been wondering the exact same thing and now I have some information to convince my fiance to wear at least the bridal pins! :p

i would suggest not going with the expectation of "free stuff" just for being honeymooners. not every couple gets the same treatment...i think it all depends on the CM's! we were there for our honeymoon last september and while we received a few "perks" here and there, we weren't showered with free stuff the whole week...

best wishes!!

We went on our honeymoon Aug 4-11 and althought I had ordered the ears we were hesitate to wear them so we bought the pins instead. Our first day we didn't carried the ears in our backpack then we saw another couple and saw how cute they really were. We figured this was the only time we would be able to do something like this ever again. I am so glad that we did! For the most part we got a lot of congratulations from everyone including the green army men from Toy Story saluting us during a parade. We also got in a lot of interesting conversations with other guests. A cast member gave us fast passes to use at splash mountain for whatever time we wanted. We used it immediately bypassing the 90 minute wait and then we got our own boat on Splah Mountain! It was great we also got our own boats at It's a Small World and Pirates of the Caribbean. At the Beauty and the Beast show at MGM we got VIP seating, the opening band serenaded us and gave a us a free CD. A guest gave us 2 fast passes for space mountain well we were waiting in line. We got 2 free champagene glasses at Cindy's Royal Table. At Hoop-do-doo and the Luau we had great seats and we had to get up and dance during a special song at each. We got great seats at each restuaraunt. We did the Breathless cruise during Illuminations (i highly recommend) and they put a just married flag on the back. A congrats card and photo from Mickey and Minnie in our hotel room! I think that was just about everything. It is was definately worth it but if you won't be comfortanle don't let it ruin your honeymoon! Have a wonderful time!

Good Luck,
Amanda

I chose to get the bridal ears and loved them...everyone is so attentive. They were difficult to wear on some rides however, so I only wore them one day.

DH was soooo happy that the groom's ears did not fit his head. The hat was just way too small. The same went for regular ears. But it was still fine since obviously he was the groom (attached as we were by the hand most of the time).

We also received a pair of Bride and Groom pins as a gift. I highly recommend these even if you are not planning on becoming a pin collector. Many times a CM would notice them and we get taken to the head of the line or allowed to ride twice on a ride. They also would offer many congratulations along the way. Very fun!

here is my experience from my honeymoon trip of Oct 2002.

Pins: We did wear them from the very first day of our trip. Not many people saw them. But those are nice to wear, espcially when you take pictures.

Hats: Didn't wear it until the third day there. The hats did attract many CM's and we received many "congratulations!" while walking in the park. The weather was very hot while we were there, so DH only wore hats for pictures-taking.

Perks: not a lot..... we received a card from dining at Jinko's. a pair of wine glasses from Cindy's Royal Table. we also received a card from the resort.....that's about it. We would receive them without wearing the hats nor pins. I did tell them we were there for honeymoon when we made our PS....

But the bottom line is, DH and I would still have a great great great time there at WDW without the hats, the pins, and the perks, because WE WERE IN WDW!! :)

hope it helps.

Jean

Hi, EJ and Disneymooner04, Hi everyone!!!

We also had our honeymoon in WDW in Dec. 02 and we were reluctant to wear the ears. But another DIS'er couple we meeting us there and they were sweet enough to pick them up for us and leave it w/ front desk. We wore them and it was well worth it.

You really can't "expect" the "special" treatment, b/c it's always different. Its not guaranteed, but we did wear ours and we did feel special.

All the CMs congratulated us, the characters would grab my ring in "awe" or they'd try to "steal" me or "runaway" with me and leave my DH standing there, all these great photo opts., at restuarants, CMs would give us free desserts or write "happy honeymoon" in chocolate, you get all the smiles and congrats you can imagine, when we get on a CROWDED bus, the driver makes a BIG deal out of us and makes everyone clap and cheer for us, we got our own boat/car on the rides, some CM's let us go in front of the lines or let us go on again w/out waiting, during Parades, the characters notice you more (We also saw another couple w/ the same ears on IN the parade...THAT must of been really cool!)

There's A TON of things they do to make you feel special, we were walking down Main St. and the "Mayor" stopped to congratulate us and took pix w/ us, it's just an AMAZING experience. When you Don't expect things, its when you get it the best.

We read so many posts that people received ALOT of freebies and special treatments also, but its ALL different. We didn't think it'd happen w/ us b/c it wasn't a busy season when we went, but we were shocked.

They REALLY know how to make you feel special. The bride ears are cute, but I didn't wear it correctly, I tore off the veil, the "beanie" hat didn't fit my egg head, so I tore off the veil and clipped it to my hair and it still got the same attention. My DH did wear the top hat and it hurted it head, but he loved the attention.

Its a wonderful thing, besides, you'll never see these people again, there's nothing to be embarassed about!

Have FUN, ENJOY and CONGRATS!!!!!:teeth: :wave: :wave: :teeth:

I'm gonna go for the Bridal headband but I haven't broached the subject with my FH about whether or not he'll wear ears - I was thinking of getting him a baseball cap with Groom embroidered on the front and that way everyone will know he's with me !!

I can't wait to get the pins :)

Just FYI about the bride & groom pins - we were just at WDW for our 1 year anniversary of our Disney World wedding, and while browsing the pins, we noticed that no place had the bride pins. They were all stocked with the groom pins, but none of them had the bride pins, as of this past weekend. Just a thought - you may want to order it ahead of time, if you are really counting on wearing it.
And I really think it depends on the couple and on the CM's as to what kind of treatment you get. They did all kinds of amazing things for us, but I've heard of others who didn't get anything. Then again, we're a Disney wedding couple - I have to say that it is a bit disappointing to see a couple wearing the Disney bride & groom ears, then when you ask them if they were married there, they say, "No, in [fill in blank - Connecticut, West Virginia, Oklahoma, etc.]" We were actually looking for a Disney wedding couple, b/c we wanted to spread the pixie dust by buying them a drink or dessert, but we couldn't find any who had gotten married there! Very strange; I know how many weddings they do each year!
Cheers!
Heather W

I am new to the boards and going to WDW for my honeymoon in April. We have heard about the bride & groom ears but not about the pins. Where do you get them? In the park or do you have to order them before you get there? We can't wait for the honeymoon and our first WDW experience!

See my above post, about pin availability.

we didn't get too many 'perks' either. A free dessert at Jiko (AKL is AWESOME! the cast members are amazing there!) was basically it. We wore both the ears and the pins on our bags...on the days that we didn't wear the ears, alot of people noticed the pins and congratulated us. and I mean ALOT of people congratulated us - not just cast members!

we did get put on the big screen at Who wants to be a millionaire. heheh. I had my ears on , but hubby had taken his off. when I saw our faces up on screen i laughed, nudged hubby, and he put on his ears too. the audience clapped for us and the 'host' of the show made us kiss before they took us off the screen. so that was pretty neat!

I agree - I think they give the Disney wedding couples more perks than people who were married anywhere, but happen to be honeymooning at WDW. One of the CM's commented to us that he was so disappointed when he saw a couple wearing the wedding ears, and then when he asked where they got married, they told him something like "West Virginia." :)
Cheers!
Heather W

i personally don't think that the special treatment has anything to do with whether or not you were married at WDW or in idaho. we were married in orlando but not at WDW and we wore wedding ears the entire time. we received plenty of special attention! i think that it all depends on the cast members sprinkling any extra pixie dust not where you were married.

if disney only wanted the couples who were married at WDW to wear the ears, then they wouldn't sell the ears in every hat shop. they would make them exclusively as a gift for the wedding couples.

I wouldn't wear the ears just for the perks. We were just there last week, and we did get alot of congratulations from cm's and guests, but that was about it. We did end up getting interviewed by a news crew at Epcot and I think that was due to the ears. But.... the ears are now seen all over WDW. There used to be only about 2 places to buy them, and now they are at every store in WDW, so it is not as much of a novelty as it was before.
Julie

I've also read, but not sure on which forum I saw it, you can T-shirts especially made telling about your special occasion. One lady was saying that her DH refused to wear anything on his head, but a shirt would be fine. I believe you can go online to the Disney store and find exactly what I'm talking about. I'm thinking of having this done for DH and myself in two years. Might have the shirt done now in case they change things though.

We wore the pins throughout our honeymoon (Oct 25- 28 2003) and we wore the hats after the first day (couldn't find them at AK the first day) We also had shirts made at the Robo shirt place in DTD, we got lots of attention from CM's Characters, and even guests. It was very fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter