• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Honeymoon Dining Suggestions

musicmantrs

Mouseketeer
My fiance and I are getting married September 7th and then going to Southern California for our honeymoon. I've waited as long as I can to get excited about the trip and now the heavy planning is here. We're getting close to 60 days out and I haven't made any decisions on dining. I wanted to get your take on the most best restaurants for a newlywed couple on site at Disney (we will spend 3 nights there). I also wanted to see if anyone had suggestions around the Hollywood and Gas Lamp districts as we will be spending a few nights at both those locations each.

Thanks in advance!

Our proposal, I have to show off because I rarely pull off surprises:
8190741761_239e5b26df.jpg

First of all, congrats! What a lovely surprise for your fiancé. :)

Can you give us an idea of your likes and dislikes? Are you foodies? What is important to you in a restaurant? Do you like characters or not?

First of all, congrats! What a lovely surprise for your fiancé. :)

Can you give us an idea of your likes and dislikes? Are you foodies? What is important to you in a restaurant? Do you like characters or not?

Any good food really, we just like a good atmosphere and good food (good drinks are always nice too). I'm allergic to shellfish but DW has always been great about that and I'm sure DL has the same policies. Our favorite WDW restaurant is Via Napoli but we really liked Ohana, 50's PT, and Citricos as well. We did Crystal Palace with characters and it was nice but I thought the food wasn't very good. The only thing we didn't like was Sci-Fi Dine-In but I haven't seen anything similar at DL. I've been looking at Napa Rose and the Steakhouse but really wanted input on a good third for lunch or dinner and maybe something in one of the parks. Blue Bayou looks good but we're going while I think POTC is down for Halloween overlay (Sep 8-11).

Pirates doesn't get a Halloween overlay, is it on the refurb calendar?

The best restaurant for food, hands down, is Napa Rose. If you have any interest in interacting with the chefs and watching the kitchen, book the Chef's Counter. The chef can create your dining experience based on likes and dislikes and you can talk with them and observe the kitchen while dining. It is a unique experience and the food and service are top notch.

Carthay Circle is in DCA and while I really enjoy the food, the service has been less than stellar every time I have eaten there. I would definitely check out the lounge, though. They have really amazing drinks and cool bites to eat.

Trader Sam's is an excellent little bar at the DLH. They have a tropical drink focus and lots of hidden jokes and gags at this bar. A must visit and the bartenders are awesome! I think some WDW people describe it as a mini-Adventurer's Club.

Storyteller's Cafe is at the Grand Californian. I enjoy this restaurant a lot, but always order off the menu, the buffet is overpriced. The setting is in a gorgeous Craftsman's dining room with huge murals of folk tales and wood carvings. Beautiful spot and the service here has always been good. The food is comfort food with California flair and we always enjoy it. There is a bar inside the lobby for an excellent nightcap in front of a roaring fire.

I love, love the fried chicken dinner at Plaza Inn. It is counter service, but the setting is gorgeous and the chicken is addictive. DH and I split the chicken dinner and both leave stuffed. So good!

Too bad about Blue Bayou, this restaurant has improved in my opinion and the ambiance can't be beat!

For counter service in DCA, I enjoy Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta and Paradise Garden Grill. The outdoor seating area is nicely themed, the chefs make the dishes in front of you, and you get nice silverware. Sometimes they have live music and it is just a great place to relax.

These are my faves off the top of my head!

I must be going crazy, I thought I read somewhere it would be down but now I don't see it. Wish they officially put up refurbs further out. Guess Blue Bayou is back in as a possibility. What else is good?

Haha, I didn't notice that you said POTC was down for holiday overlay. As others have said, no overlay for PoTC. So perhaps you should consider Blue Bayou. A unique Disneyland experience.

If you do reserve Blue Bayou make sure you tell them it's your honeymoon and ask for riverside seating. Actually I would have them note it on all your reservations.

Carthay does have very good food, we really liked it. Our service was good when we went in September, but I know lots of other people have not had the same luck.

Look into Fantasmic! Reserved seating, it's sort of nice for special occasions.

Our personal favorites are Café Orleans & Carnation Café for lunches.

The atmosphere at Riverbelle Terrace is really nice for breakfast.

The best restaurant for food, hands down, is Napa Rose. If you have any interest in interacting with the chefs and watching the kitchen, book the Chef's Counter. The chef can create your dining experience based on likes and dislikes and you can talk with them and observe the kitchen while dining. It is a unique experience and the food and service are top notch.

Carthay Circle is in DCA and while I really enjoy the food, the service has been less than stellar every time I have eaten there. I would definitely check out the lounge, though. They have really amazing drinks and cool bites to eat.

Trader Sam's is an excellent little bar at the DLH. They have a tropical drink focus and lots of hidden jokes and gags at this bar. A must visit and the bartenders are awesome! I think some WDW people describe it as a mini-Adventurer's Club.

Storyteller's Cafe is at the Grand Californian. I enjoy this restaurant a lot, but always order off the menu, the buffet is overpriced. The setting is in a gorgeous Craftsman's dining room with huge murals of folk tales and wood carvings. Beautiful spot and the service here has always been good. The food is comfort food with California flair and we always enjoy it. There is a bar inside the lobby for an excellent nightcap in front of a roaring fire.

I love, love the fried chicken dinner at Plaza Inn. It is counter service, but the setting is gorgeous and the chicken is addictive. DH and I split the chicken dinner and both leave stuffed. So good!

Too bad about Blue Bayou, this restaurant has improved in my opinion and the ambiance can't be beat!

For counter service in DCA, I enjoy Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta and Paradise Garden Grill. The outdoor seating area is nicely themed, the chefs make the dishes in front of you, and you get nice silverware. Sometimes they have live music and it is just a great place to relax.

Arch covered so many great options !

I would also like to add in Steakhouse 55 at the DLH. We enjoyed a fabulous anniversary dinner there earlier this year..and DH and I are STILL raving over it. The attention was top notch , the food superb and it felt very classic Disney. Highly recommend it , if not for dinner then enjoy the lounge also..it's beautiful and drinks were very tasty!

This is exactly what I needed. I think we'll be able to plan a great time with all the tips. Thanks again to everyone on the DIS!

Forgot one! A hidden gem is the Alfresco Lounge which is on the second floor above the Golden Vine Winery, adjacent to Wine Country Trattoria. Not many people find their way up there, which is too bad because it is very pretty! There is the standard Disney cocktail list, but also California wines available. The lounge menu is Napa-inspired with an Italian twist. It has an awesome view of Carsland and Paradise Pier, which is great especially at night. Service here is usually great, if a tad relaxed.

Congrats on your engagement and upcoming wedding! We ate at Steakhouse 55 for our anniversary and it was very nice, they asked if we were celebrating anything when we booked the reservation and at the end of our meal they brought out a sweet little dessert for us to share. And the meal was amazing. Enjoy your trip!

I think the PP's have pretty much set you up for your Disneyland portion, I'll try to help with Gaslamp!

If you like the show Top Chef on Bravo, Brian Malarkey's restaurant Searsucker is downtown on 5th and has a cool menu/atmosphere: http://www.searsucker.com/san-diego/

Strip Club is a "different" type of steakhouse - they give you your steak and you grill it yourself. I personally probably wouldn't go back there just because if I'm paying for steak, I want a guarantee that I can't mess it up lol, but here is the link: http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/menu-restaurants/gaslamp-strip-club/

The Hopping Pig is a cool gastropub with fun small plates: http://www.thehoppingpig.com/site/

There's a Ghirardelli or Melting Pot for dessert :) :)

Tons of restaurants in the Gaslamp, you might just want to cruise 5th and look at the menus posted outside to see what appeals to you.

I would recommend Carthay Circle & Blue Bayou as some romantic places. Trader Sam's is fun for a drink and snack. Plaza Inn has a nice atmosphere inside and some nice views outside too, and the chicken is fantastic! I also like Cafe Orleans especially if you want monte cristos, they are cheaper there than Blue Bayou. Naples in Downtown Disney is very similar in their menu to Via Napoli, I think they are owned by the same company.

BruinEd03 said:
Agree with Napa Rose.

I think he said he was already planning on Napa Rose and Steakhouse 55. He's looking for another place for a nice third meal, maybe something in the park.

If POTC is down, skip Blue Bayou in my opinion. Carthay would be nice but you already have two high end places on your list. If you can take a third rich meal, go for it. Cafe Orleans could be a nice place in th park. Good food and good people watching.

Outside the box, drinks and apps at the Cove Bar in DCA.

I think the PP's have pretty much set you up for your Disneyland portion, I'll try to help with Gaslamp!

If you like the show Top Chef on Bravo, Brian Malarkey's restaurant Searsucker is downtown on 5th and has a cool menu/atmosphere: http://www.searsucker.com/san-diego/

Strip Club is a "different" type of steakhouse - they give you your steak and you grill it yourself. I personally probably wouldn't go back there just because if I'm paying for steak, I want a guarantee that I can't mess it up lol, but here is the link: http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/menu-restaurants/gaslamp-strip-club/

The Hopping Pig is a cool gastropub with fun small plates: http://www.thehoppingpig.com/site/

There's a Ghirardelli or Melting Pot for dessert :) :)

Tons of restaurants in the Gaslamp, you might just want to cruise 5th and look at the menus posted outside to see what appeals to you.

This helps a ton, Searsuckers looks cool and the grill your own steak might be interesting... I ran it past my fiance and she seemed up for it. We like a good Gastropub (being in the middle of no where we don't have any good ones) so we'll have to check that out. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter