Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Playground

Gaiusrex

Mouseketeer
My daughter is currently obsessed with this movie. This is her "must-do" thing this trip. We saw some pics, and she's flipped. Is this a nightmare playgroud? Would it be terribly crowded early or late in the day (meaning is it a really popular attration at DS)? Any words would be helpful.

Gaiusrex said:
Any words would be helpful.

The playground will be crowded most of the day, but it is not a "destination," rather it is merely a place for the kids to unwind. Many people do not even konw that it exists. It can be crowded, and yes, you will probably lose sight of your daughter at some point (going through the tunnels, the slides, or climbing the net). However, there is only one way in and out of the playground area, and there is an attendant there. I'm always concerned about losing one of my kids, but this playground area is relatively small, and I usually stand near the entrance area so that neither of them can get out of the area without me knowing.

There were too many places where your child could go and you can't see him/her. It may have been because we had 3 children to watch, and one would be a lot easier! It really terrified me, because I could not see the kids at all times! Even though there is only one way in and out of the playground area, when DH and I are ready to go, we are ready to go!

My kids LOVED this playground. It is a fun place to let the kids unwind for a while. I do wish that they had benches for adults at the entrance. Dh and I sat on the ground while our kids ran around in there like crazy.

It's true that you can't see your kids all of the time, though there is only 1 entrance/exit. My kids were old enough that we were OK as long as we knew they couldn't leave the attraction on their own. We did tell them to stay together while they were on the playground and to keep an eye on each other.

There is a sprinkler in there, and my kids loved it. It was hot the day we were at MGM, and the sprinkler did a lot to cool off the kids.

Make sure you have your camera. There are a lot of cute photo opportunities here.

I agree, great photo opportunities here. Our 1st visit my kids were 5 & 8. I am a single parent & had no problems with keeping track of both of them. We usually do the studios by hitting Star Tours at least 2x, the Muppetvision, then HISTK, several times we have been here as soon as it opens. We go every trip & take the exact same pictures. They are some of the best "watch your kids grow" pictures ever. It does get hot & crowded which is why we go as early as possible.

I look forward to this playground. I find a spot by the entrance and let DS10 have at it. He tired of it rather quickly last trip, but I think it's due to his size. He's a rather tall 10 year old and getting in and out of some of those places was more of a chore for him (poor thing- :guilty: ). I have a feeling he may want to skip this on next trip.

My kids loved this area even my slightly too old dd loved exploring. I agree with the camera I got lots of candid, without them knowing it cute shots of mine playing on the oversized bugs and greenery. I just let them go and staioned myself in one spot (except for taking some photo's) and waited, I didn't worry 'cause they knew to stay in the playground, there is a CM at the enrance/exit.
They only let so many in at a time so my DH waited out at the food area while I went in with them. Sometimes a break to play like kids is more important to kids than a nap or break, they relax differently than adults. Relax, enjoy and let them explore.

Ughh Kids and a long weekend, I forgot to check and see who was logged on! I think I'll make her take her brother in here next time while I have coffee!

My daughter played in this area on our last trip. I have mixed views on this attraction. The kids absolutely love playing in here. I had a very hard time trying to get my daughter to leave. However, there are many areas where you can't see your kids and this made me very nervous. There is only one entrance "in and out" of the playground and that made me feel better. But my daughter was only 4 years old at the time and not having her in view didn't sit well with me. I did get terrific pictures of her when she popped her head out the tunnels.

We did this last year and it was very crowded (and loud!). My kids are old enough that I don't panic if I lose sight of them for a few minutes. My husband and I stayed in the same spot so they knew where to find us if they needed us. There was a little boy (probably 3 yrs old) and he was screaming because he couldn't find his mom. I tried to calm him down and make him feel better by telling him we would find his mom. His mom (she was crying too) saw him and came running over. All this happened in about 2-3 minutes but it was scary for the little guy (and his mom!)

I agree that it is great for kids. Both of mine LOVED IT! (DS5 & DS3). Both were all over the place, and several times out of our view, but we hung out near the exit, and never really freaked out.

As mentioned, there is only one way in and out, and I heard the CM at the exit SEVERAL TIMES stop a kid trying to leave and ask him/her "where's your Mom/Dad?".

I'm sure it can get really out of hand in there, but even when crowded, there's enough for all to do.

We LOVE this playground. DS is only 3, so we don't really like for him to be out of our sight for too long but there is plenty DH and I can do with him. It's a great place for the whole family to have fun and make some great memories. Some of our favortie times from the World are spent at this playground and the one in Animal Kingdom. It's a wonderful way to allow the kids to let loose!

I really do not like this play area at all. Dsis and I refer to it as the dark, cold, tunnels of doom. If your kids are older I can see it being OK, but we took my niece who had just turned 4 and we did not feel comfortable letting her run free through the space. This meant we had to follow her through the tunnels on our hands and knees. Of course, she could run faster than we could crawl!

Overall, I prefer the setup at the Dinoland playground at AK. There are more spotting points for parents to keep track of their kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter