Honesty/Reviews about Hoop Dee Doo?

ThroughLookingGlass

“Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzl
I'm about to come off as reallll snooty :snooty: but I just can't help it :confused3

Going in October with family and Grandmom.
Grandmom went to Hoop Dee Doo years ago and loves it, wants to go back in October so my parents booked it. Glad Grandmom is happy:lovestruc, but I'm being forced to go. I absolutely despise the whole dumb cowboy hee haw kind of stuff, it literally makes me cringe. On a scale of 1-Oklahoma how bad is it?! :rotfl:

I don't care whether you love or hate the place tell me about it from your perspective please! :thumbsup2

Also what is the menu there? I heard it's family style and just fried chicken? Really don't like fried chicken :crazy2: is there a way to get something else?

Thanks so much to anyone who replies :lovestruc

Check out www.allears.net for the dining menus for all WDW restaurants.

I thought Hoop-De-Doo was fun, although I was like you - sorta dreading the dumb corny jokes, etc. But there comes a time in the evening where you just sort of let go and start enjoying it. It ain't Oklahoma, but there are worse ways to pass an evening (and actually Oklahoma has the DUMBEST song ever - Po' Jud is Dead - WTH????)

it is very slap stick and corny - but fun at the same time. I don't think, by what you have said, you will love it- but I doubt you will hate it.

The food is OK - not great, not bad, we go for the show not the food. Last time we were there our youngest daughter (17 at the time) laughed through the whole thing. We were really surprised. Normally she doesn't like stuff like that - but she really enjoyed it.

Just keep an open mind knowing it will be corny, slap stick and cheesy and do it for your Grandmother. :

Google it and find some You Tube videos. I advise that if, after that, you still hate it --- don't go.
We like the show
We like the food
We will go again

I have an open enough mind.
We went to Wilderness Lodge for breakfast and it's wasn't awful but I would never do it again. Is it sort of like that? That wasn't too bad. :confused3

Google it and find some You Tube videos. I advise that if, after that, you still hate it --- don't go.
We like the show
We like the food
We will go again

OH NO IT'S AWFUL! Worse than I thought. I watched it on youtube.

It would upset my mother if I didn't go. I will just stay veryyy quiet and melt from the embarrassment :lmao: so, so, embarrassing.

Like another said- go in with an open mind and just try to enjoy it. As cheesy as it is we always have fun bc of the atmosphere. Just play along and it really is not anywhere near as bad as you think. No matter how a YouTube video made you feel, when you are there and everyone is laughing and enjoying themselves its almost like you would hve to be trying to have a bad time.

We've been three times, the first time our daughter was chosen as the cancan dancer, the second time we sat right up against the stage and six bits flirted with me all evening, the third time we were just part of the audience, we enjoyed it each time and will probably go again.

You're an adult going to an amusement park built around a cartoon mouse and fairy tales; in the scope of things, attending Hoop Dee Doo Review to make your grandmother and mom happy seems hardly that embarrassing.

I've NEVER been a fan of anything remotely "western" or "rustic". I don't like cowboys, country music, square-dancing, anything like that. I don't even like "BBQ" food and normally won't touch fried chicken with a ten foot pole.

All that said....I LOVED Hoop dee Doo. It's incredibly cheesy, but this is Disney World we're talking about, to those who aren't as obsessed as we are, everything is cheesy. I had an absolute blast...the cast was very energetic, the crowd was fully involved, it was just simply a LOT of fun and a lot of laughs. The food was even decent. I didn't touch the ribs or the beans, but the salad, chicken, potatoes, and dessert were pretty tasty!

On the contrary, in the exact same week we also did the Spirit of Aloha show. A relaxing luau with delicious tropical food seemed totally up my alley. I expected to love it. I haaaated it. It was three of the most boring hours of my life combined with the most tasteless food I've had at Disney. And it was far, FAR cornier than HDDR.

So really, sometimes you can very well be surprised, and your expectations can be blown out of the water. You may find yourself completely enjoying HDDR. Don't be ashamed to have a little fun there. :thumbsup2

I'm laughing here (in a good way), because you sound as if it is the most horrible thing in the world and you'd rather have bamboo skewers shoved under your nails instead of bearing through this horrific event. :hug: It's only a 90 minute show, and it's not as bad as you might think.

Our Travel Agent told us that HDDR is one of those things that you have to experience at least once to say "been there, done that". She was right. If you don't like it, don't go again...but at least give it a shot. We went last year for our first time, and it was cute. Not something we're doing again for a while, but it was one of those "one time" experiences to say we've done it. To let you know, we're childless adults, and it's not normally something we'd go out of our way to do, but we're glad we saw it.

Yep, it's hokey, with a bunch of corny jokes. But really, it's not that bad at all. It's no worse than Country Bear Jamboree - and you get food besides. I thought the food was actually pretty good. If you view it as a dinner theater, where there are actors performing a show, it might be a bit more palatable.

Besides, it would be a particularly nice gesture on your part to humor mom & grandmom. Talk about major brownie points! And you'll look like a great team player for going to something outside your comfort zone! Give it a chance...many times the very things I expect to suck turn out to be some of my favorite moments! :cheer2:

I've NEVER been a fan of anything remotely "western" or "rustic". I don't like cowboys, country music, square-dancing, anything like that. I don't even like "BBQ" food and normally won't touch fried chicken with a ten foot pole.

All that said....I LOVED Hoop dee Doo. It's incredibly cheesy, but this is Disney World we're talking about, to those who aren't as obsessed as we are, everything is cheesy. I had an absolute blast...the cast was very energetic, the crowd was fully involved, it was just simply a LOT of fun and a lot of laughs. The food was even decent. I didn't touch the ribs or the beans, but the salad, chicken, potatoes, and dessert were pretty tasty!

On the contrary, in the exact same week we also did the Spirit of Aloha show. A relaxing luau with delicious tropical food seemed totally up my alley. I expected to love it. I haaaated it. It was three of the most boring hours of my life combined with the most tasteless food I've had at Disney. And it was far, FAR cornier than HDDR.

So really, sometimes you can very well be surprised, and your expectations can be blown out of the water. You may find yourself completely enjoying HDDR. Don't be ashamed to have a little fun there. :thumbsup2

Ugh yes! I am the same way! Hate BBQ and Western stuff. It's only an hour though. Glad to hear someone who isn't a fan of those things enjoyed it. I'm just unsure at this point. We'll see.

Oh I know my parents despised the luau :sad2: they were so bummed!

I'm laughing here (in a good way), because you sound as if it is the most horrible thing in the world and you'd rather have bamboo skewers shoved under your nails instead of bearing through this horrific event. :hug: It's only a 90 minute show, and it's not as bad as you might think.

Our Travel Agent told us that HDDR is one of those things that you have to experience at least once to say "been there, done that". She was right. If you don't like it, don't go again...but at least give it a shot. We went last year for our first time, and it was cute. Not something we're doing again for a while, but it was one of those "one time" experiences to say we've done it. To let you know, we're childless adults, and it's not normally something we'd go out of our way to do, but we're glad we saw it.

Yep, it's hokey, with a bunch of corny jokes. But really, it's not that bad at all. It's no worse than Country Bear Jamboree - and you get food besides. I thought the food was actually pretty good. If you view it as a dinner theater, where there are actors performing a show, it might be a bit more palatable.

Besides, it would be a particularly nice gesture on your part to humor mom & grandmom. Talk about major brownie points! And you'll look like a great team player for going to something outside your comfort zone! Give it a chance...many times the very things I expect to suck turn out to be some of my favorite moments! :cheer2:

Haha I know! :sad2: I'm terrible.
I just hate that sickening anxious/embarrassed feeling in my gut. It's like when someone hates horror movies and you force them to watch one? :lmao: :rotfl: :laughing:

Ratings of Hoop-Dee-Do-Review: (rev 4/1/2011)
. . . food price value: B
. . . food quality: B
. . . food quantity per serving: A
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: C
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: B
. . . character interaction: B (singers, not characters)

NOTE: HDDR is a fun, corny, lively Western show. The food
is quite tasty for comfort food and is all-you-can-eat for
both the food and the beverages, even the sangria. Good
show for adults and children alike.
As side info, HDDR
is typically cool from the air conditioning, so take a jacket
or sweater for everyone. Cat-2 and Cat-3 tables may have
posts in the viewing way.

Agreed. We orignally wanted to go especially since it gets such good reviews. But we watched some of the You Tube videos and couldn't stand it. We usually like corney, goofy humor & music (we loved the DL golden horseshoe show), but this was just too much. Maybe we would give it a chance if it was free.

We went in May. I normally don't like that sort of thing either. It was our final evening in WDW and our final dinner so I was hoping it would be better than I was thinking. We were originally supposed to see the show on our very FIRST day there but the 9:30 show was cancelled and I had to reschedule.

Well, it turned out to be AWESOME! Everyone in our group enjoyed it. The food was fantastic (lots of it), service was great (they kept the beverages coming) and the show was very, VERY good!!! It's not horribly cheesey like everyone says... they keep it all going with different "acts" and somehow it comes together. When they involve the audience, it gets really good. Our 5 year old son was brought up on stage to play the sheriff and that made our night. I would return in a heartbeat if I ever go with a big group again.

Simply put, we go to HDD any and every time we go to WDW. There's no other way, it's typically right up there with our favorites as far as dining experiences go in WDW. Great food, funny, and for the +21 crowd plenty of Sangria! All you can eat/drink.:woohoo: Plus the last time we went I was chosen to go on stage for a part in the show with a few other folks. I'll never forget it!

I've been to HDDR multiple times - our oldest son (now almost 13) loved it when he was really little. So it's been a while! I remember that it was very goofy, and based on the youtube videos, our three boys (the other two are 5 and 11) aren't interested at this point. Like other posters, I'm not a fan of slapstick, western stuff, cowboy stuff (unless it's Woody and Jessie), etc.

But if my mom or one of the kids were interested, I'd go in a minute. First, because it's fun to watch other people enjoy it. But also because I actually liked the food. We do a fair amount of signature dining at WDW and fresh food, an interesting menu and a glass of wine are all important to me. That said, HDDR is just a fun place with some good food, a festive atmosphere and some very yummy sangria. I don't love the show, but that's OK. Just expect goofy and have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter