• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

honest people what will you do?

Pluto 2

DIS Veteran
i get my paycheck in the mail yesterday and i had 12 hours too much pay on it. so i made a copy of it took it in to work to have the shift manager put it in the computer to take the 12 hours out of my next pay. before i could tell him talking to other people it seemed like he messed up on everybodys paycheck about 20 people all had 12 hours too much pay. it looks like the snow day messed him up and he probaly put it in the computer wrong. so if i tell him he will notice that the whole shift is messed up and it will effect everyone. than he will probaly tell people that i told him about it.

Honestly, if you don't or someone doesn't anonymously tell him, it will possibly bite you all back in the end. With companies running so tight on budget, depending on how much money we are talking about, it could cost someone a job due to a budget cut or possibly prevent a raise. It probably wouldn't go that far.. but still. Just for your clear peace of mind. I would tell him!To me there is no amount of money or approval from co-workers worth "stealing"! I just couldn't lay my head down. I think your heart is already telling you the right thing to do! :hug:

Are you sure he didn't overpay all of you by 12 hours as a gift of sorts? He could be testing your honesty too? I'd tell ASAP!

Tell! Eventually they will find the error and I would be embarrassed to have kept the money when it was obviously a mistake. You do not have to tell that this happened to others; but you should point it out that YOU received 12 extra hours.

I would probably tell him, and also ask him not to tell the others. It seems like he should be grateful that you brought this to your attention, and understand your concerns about not wanting your co-workers to know.

If he's not someone you feel you could trust to do the right thing, then I'd consider whether there's a way to anonymously let him or his supervisor know of the situation.

i would tell. If they find out later, they have the right to demand the pay later, they could deduct your next check by 12 hours to compensate.

You have to tell but really one of those 20 people will tell and it will be found out anyway. You could always ask him not to mention that it came from you.

Tell.

Many of times I've had pay docked the following week because they didn't enter the time correctly. And then it's wait a minute, shouldn't my paycheck be bigger than this?? At least you'll be expecting the decreased amount instead of wondering what happened.

It's kind of sick that all other 19 people would rather keep it a secret.

I always ALWAYS tell. I figure it is the righ thing to do and good karma.:)

I would tell him, I was in a similar situation 2 weeks ago. I got a promotion and it was entered wrong, basically they gave me about $4000 a year too much. I didn't want them to find out about it later and take back all of the over payment at once so I called and they corrected it. I'd have loved to have kept that extra money, but knowing my luck it would have came back to haunt me down the road. You should just get it taken care of now.

i get my paycheck in the mail yesterday and i had 12 hours too much pay on it. so i made a copy of it took it in to work to have the shift manager put it in the computer to take the 12 hours out of my next pay. before i could tell him talking to other people it seemed like he messed up on everybodys paycheck about 20 people all had 12 hours too much pay. it looks like the snow day messed him up and he probaly put it in the computer wrong. so if i tell him he will notice that the whole shift is messed up and it will effect everyone. than he will probaly tell people that i told him about it.

What like payroll wouldn't have noticed 240 hours too much. I'd much rather they know (and that I get credit for being honest) right away. What a pain if they find it three months later and you've already spent it.

There is no way this isn't going to get caught when they do an audit. I would tell them and let them take it out of my next pay. In the long run it doesn't hurt you any. You have the money early and can put it in an interest bearing account until you need it on the next pay day.

I imagine there will be people who complain that they spent it and can't have a short paycheck next time but that is just irresponsible.

I'd report it.

They will catch it sooner or later.

If everyone got 12 hours extra and don't realize it, that is not your problem. Usually pay is the same (or near the same) every pay period.

I was overpaid when I left a job. I was salaried and didn't clock hours (ETA: That sounds bad--I mean I didn't track hours as I was not required to document them)--so I set the extra money aside. I notified them and they told me that they would track it down and notify me by mail to correct it. When it came time to pay the money,I had it no problem.

Better it is fixed sooner rather than later and then folks whine that they can't pay their bills b/c a paycheck was suddenly (and legitimately) 12 hours short.

I would tell your boss, definately. they will most likely figure out the mistake sooner or later. I wouldn't worry about everyone else. I probably would not even mention anyone else, I would just let him know that YOUR check was for 12 hours too much.

It works both ways. If your employer shorted you 12 hours you would say something.

I would say something. This happened to me once and I didn't say anything. :thumbsup2

The next week my paycheck had been adjusted accordingly. :mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter