Honest opinions wanted: Is it even fun going during the summer?

I went in the middle of July (July 11-18) about 3 years ago with 3 of my close girlfriends and we had a BLAST! I was very skeptical because nearly every year for the past 14 years my family has been going in the off season, and crowds were hardly ever an issue. Needless to say, I was very concerned about the crowds and took them into much consideration when doing the planning. Looking back on the trip I can't even remember waiting in line for longer than 30 minutes, this is what we did...(but i do remember stepping off the plane and my sunglasses fogging up immediately!)

-We were at the parks an hour before opening
-We carried around spray bottles and TONS of sunscreen
-We only stayed at the park until 12:00, then spent the remainder of the afternoon at the pool (Swan and Dolphin)
-We followed to the T a touring plan that we created about 6 months in advance (down to exactly what ride to go on and who would run to get the FP)
But most of all...
-We enjoyed being there together and making awesome memories!

so even if the crowds may seem a bit daunting, just keep it in perspective and have a fabulous time! :cutie:

I love going during the summer. Ususally we go the week of July 4th and after. However this year, we just came form a trip 6/5-13 at WDW. It wasn't very crowded and the weather was good. We used EMH a lot and walked onto many rides. Frankly we were able to walk off and right onto again many rides.

The summer is hot and hard it's true but we go in the middle of August when the kids in florida have gone back to school. It's much less crowded.

DH and I just got back from a short weekend trip and we stayed off site...we have not done that in 6 years or gone in the summer in 6 years so we forgot how bloody hot and rainy it gets which makes the days miserable. Lucky for us we go alot so we are not hard pressed to see everything. Another irritant for us was the fact that since we are offsite it is more difficult to get back to our room for a rest.

We are going again in August, which is just as hot and rainy, but we are staying at the Poly so we can get a nap in and the monorail will make it easier for us to get around.

Oh and by the way, Epcot was not busy on Saturday at all, HS was a jammed packed nightmare on Saturday and AK on Friday early afternoon was very busy but after 4 it thinned out alot

WE had a wonderful trip last Aug. We arrived on the 15th for 8 nights and had fun. Sure it was hot, but it wasn't enough to make us never go again in the summer. We are back for 2 weeks this summer in July starting on the 19th. Sure we love our cooler months of Nov. and Jan. but we also love the fact that none of the kids have to worry about makeup work. It is so nice to enjoy summer vacation at WDW......kick back at the pools, sleep in, stay up late. Go to the parks in the morning til lunch then head back to resorts for a swim or indoor activity and then go back out at night or just spend the evening at the pool. My kids LOVED IT LAST SUMMER.

i just got back and i noticed that epcot and DHS were easy to get around even though i knew they were crowded. everybody goes to the magic kingdom so that was a nightmare and animal kingdom doesn't have as wide of walkways so that made it seem more crowded....BUT! you can have a wonderful time if you just USE YOUR FASTPASSES WISELY!!!

It's Disney so it's never a bad experience, but you might have more fun at EPCOT or DHS over MK because of the crouds. It's a lot of people and very hot.

Animal Kingdom is not as crowded, but Kali River Rapids are almost impossible to get into without the fastpass. Though the queue is quite amazing. That is really similar all around AK with the popular attractions since there are less of them. Also the whole park seems smaller due to the layout. Also in summer it's even worse because lack of trees in some parts.

Overall AK during the summer is about the same experience as MK.

We have gone in June the past few years and it crowded but not that bad. WE use the FP on all the big rides and that is a big help. I have to go in the summer with 5 kids in school and wife is a teacher and son is into all sports so getting away is a hard thing to do any other time. I would like to go once when it is not so crowded to see how that is.

If it wasn't fun in the summer, then it wouldn't be so crowded!

I have done both June and September. I thought the weather was comparable and hot but bearable (but I am a Texas girl). June is definitely more crowded, but with a plan you can have a great time. You won't see everything, but, you won't see everything in September either.

The summer is also filled with more "clueless" travelers who show up at 11am, wander aimlessly, think you have to pay extra for fast pass, don't make ADRs, etc. So, you can just scoot right on by them with your plan in hand while they ry to figure things out.

In the off season you can wing it a lot more. In the summer you need to be up early, have ADRs in hand and know the lay of the land. I also would stay a few days longer in the summer so you can go back and revisit things you may have missed.

If it weren't fun, we wouldn't go! :thumbsup2

Check-in next month! Can't wait!!:dance3:

We have been to WDW twice so far ( 3rd trip coming up) our first time was the end of june 2003, it was awful to me........crowded, hotter than hades ( We are from WI, so anything above 85 feels horrible to me)
our second trip was the end of November of 2004 - WOW what a difference, low crowds, we walked on most rides, even at MVMCP. we had a bus to ourselves, a monorail alone, we got to ride anything adn everything we wanted in 2 days at MK. ( Except small world, it was closed :( )

i would prefer Winter over summer in a heartbeat, Our third trip coming up is in Febuary so i am curious to find out what it will be like that time of year........and i pray it's not like June :worried:

DH and I went in May and thought the heat was ghastly (we're Floridians).

We don't mind crowds since we go so often and don't feel compelled to try to "do everything" when we go. We mainly go for the food and entertainment at Epcot, anyway. But if I go again in May (I wouldn't dream of gong June through August), I would find something other than the parks to do during the day.

For us its not worth it to go in the summmer, crowds,heat,rain every afternoon for 10 minutes:rotfl2: . We like early Dec., lower crowds, christmas decorations, we live in Indiana 70 degrees is short weather for us:cool1: but don't tell anyone else about it.

I have to say that when I went on my honeymoon in August of 99', I loved it. It was pretty hot but I don't remember the crowds being horrible. Busy but not awful. Anyway, here is why I liked it. The parks seemed to be open all the time. One morning we left MK at 2:15am! We were not the last ones to leave. When we took an afternoon break, it would be for hours and we still had time to tour around. When we go in January now for marathon weekend, the parks are pretty much open from like 9a to 7p. That doesn't leave much time for a break. I like the break for the 6 year old.

Also the pools were walk in temp.

I am a teacher, so I always have to go at crowded times. That being said, I have always enjoyed myself despite crowds. The only problem that I see with the summer is the heat. Personally, I don't mind the heat like some people. I just go to the parks early, exit during the hottest part of the day, go back to the hotel to swim, then return early evening. That is the schedule that we use every visit to avoid crowds. It works especially well in the summer when it's hot. Don't stress about how crowded it's going to be or how hot. Just enjoy yourself and take steps to be comfortable. We went in August last summer, and I felt that the August trip was far less crowded than any June trips that we had taken in the past.

Lori:cool1:

Taking breaks is a must-do for summer trips. DS would get that glazed over look on his face just after lunch, and I knew he was done for the first half of the day. We would then go back for a refreshing swim and a snack. I think he may have enjoyed the pool more than the parks!

The parks are open later in the crowded part of the summer than they are in September too. This makes it more worthwhile to to take breaks during the middle of the day and come back (or better yet, park hop).

I would also suggest a spray bottle with a fan attached. This was our saving grace!

We'll be back in the summer of 2010 too! :cool1:

JUst got back from our first 2 week summer trip. We checked in on the 8th-th. The first week was not as crowded but going into the second week it got very crowded. I can take the heat... but that combined with large crowds made it harder to tour we even left 3 days early and we never do that!

That all being said you should be fine the first week of June. We went during that time last year and although it was crowded and hot it was nothing like it was in the middle to late June.

This is just my opinion and how we felt. We still had a great time... We were at Dsiney World!

:)

I went to the MK in Feb. 2008-the park was so crowded, I could not believe it was Feb.:confused3 I don't think I could spend a whole trip like that-I did not even have room to push my son through the crowds. We both decided to end the day early and go back to the hotel.

Anyone have a few pictures of the park in full Summer swing? My experience is in early December and mid September.... half the FP machines werent even turned on :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter