Honest opinions please

bsjs0708

DIS Veteran
Ok y'all...so we love the fort but at 200 a night for premium sites on the weekend is RIDICULOUS!!! What is it like camping off site? Have you regretted it? Thanks!

I have not stayed there but others here have, I did visit, but Lake Louisa State Park is close to disney (30 to 45 minute drive i think). It is not the same as the fort but you could still have your park days. If you are looking for a campground that has all the activities the fort has but no parks i am sure there has to be places. I guess it depends on what activities you are looking for.

It's not the same, staying offsite, but $200 is too steep for me. Thanksgiving 2020 we stayed at Lake Griffin and drove the hour and 15 min or so to Epcot 1 day. In October, we were at Ft Wilderness for 5 days, Lake Louisa on the weekend, then back to Disney property for a couple days. We drove to other Orlando theme parks from Lake Louisa. Not a bad drive, but when doing Disney, I really like being on property. That relaxing boat ride to/ from MK sure beats taking the monorail to the parking lot and dealing with traffic. Plus, so much more stuff to do at the Fort. We love doing Disney things (like Trader Sam's and Chef Mickey's) on our non-park days. I guess it depends how much you are saving. Some of the KOAs and other camping resorts are pretty expensive, too.

Jellystone parks are usually 100 plus a night. Hershey campground cost wise is the same as Disney, and it has a train track active right behind it. And it ain't no disney.
Disney keeps raising prices and people keep paying it, especially locals on weekends. As long as they are full no reason to lower the price.

Jellystone parks are usually 100 plus a night. Hershey campground cost wise is the same as Disney, and it has a train track active right behind it. And it ain't no disney.
Disney keeps raising prices and people keep paying it, especially locals on weekends. As long as they are full no reason to lower the price.

Hershey Camping Resort is tight. Especially down by the entrance road aka semi looking overflow camping area. We camped there twice. Both times up on the hill. Both times right next to the tracks. Interestingly enough I was at the site across from the first time we stayed at Hershey. So we were at one site and the last time we stayed we were at the site across from it. It was weird. As for the train, you get use to it when you are at the site. I think we did a campground day the last time we were there which was back in 2016 or 17 I think. It really wasn't too bad. We spent several hours in the pool. Then spend a few hours just riding bikes around the campground. Just relaxed with a nice fire.

The cost of the sites, @bsjs0708, are a function of supply and demand. If you don't like paying $200 a night during times of higher demand to stay there, someone else will. Disney doesn't care WHOSE money they get, it's all the same color - green.

I've adjusted by travelling during times of lesser demand (to the degree that I can). I am also at Lake Louisa State Park as we speak which is $24 a night (plus a new "utility" fee of about $6 a night) which is 30 minutes from WDW. It's my night-before-Disney location so I can roll over early in the morning and enjoy a full day at WDW and I didn't pay WDW for the night before. But I have not done theme park days from here because I don't want to.

If you stay off-site, also, you have to pay parking fee at the theme parks so bake that into the cost equation.

On the campsite (not cabin) side, the Fort has not expanded since the mid-1970s. Since then, RVing and camping have taken off, baby-boomers have retired and have Class A's, and everyone seems to want to retire to Florida (or and least take the camper and spend a few months of winter there). And they will never significantly expand the Fort or RV/camping facilities at WDW.

Bama Ed

PS - LLSP is nice as far as FL state parks go but the comfort stations are not air-conditioned. Okay this time of year, not in July and August (if you need to use them). Like all FL state parks, they have an 11-month booking window which fills up at 11 months during popular periods. Let's say it together - "supplyanddemand". And yes, I'm at LLSP and I booked these 3 nights right at the 11 month window.

Last edited:

I would not get a premium site. Just get a full hook up. Save the money where you can. As stated, when factoring in driving to the parks, parking fees, and time spend in transit. Its not much diffrent. If you are just going camping or doing a few park days, then its maybe not worth it. If its a once and a while trip and you plan to do 3 or more park days, it will probably be more then worth the extra 50 bucks or so that the price has gone up. Other ideas, stay a few less days and do your camp days before or after the trip. So, get the full hook up site for 3 days, and go elsewhere to sit outside the camper or use a pool.

I've done KOA Kissimmee, ususally for 2 nights before or after, but did it once for 6 nights. It's a KOA, meaning you're neighbors are close; but it's actually pretty nice for one, and not as giant as some of them are, less than a 100 total spaces. They have a nice heated pool area in the back; pre-covid they kept it open 23 hours a day, they're currently closing it at 9. Believe it's running between 75-90 depending on the site, the pull through full patio sites are actually pretty nice. One thing I did like about it over the fort is all the nearby dining options.

I've done KOA Kissimmee, ususally for 2 nights before or after, but did it once for 6 nights. It's a KOA, meaning you're neighbors are close; but it's actually pretty nice for one, and not as giant as some of them are, less than a 100 total spaces. They have a nice heated pool area in the back; pre-covid they kept it open 23 hours a day, they're currently closing it at 9. Believe it's running between 75-90 depending on the site, the pull through full patio sites are actually pretty nice. One thing I did like about it over the fort is all the nearby dining options.
I like this KOA as well….

I think it's worth it....

I cringe at the cost but no parking upcharges and the boat to MK! I love that boat!!

The bike rides and wildlife are special. We like to shine our flashlights in the trees at night. 🦝🦋🦌🐿🐢🦉🐸🐴🦃🦆 (no armadillo emoji?)

Our truck is parked outside my camper door. It's so easy to drive to the parks!! Since the pandemic, I am not a fan of the Disney bus system.

I bring my little dog. He's fine in the camper with the AC and a web cam. He likes to ride in my bike basket.

No litter or overflowing trashcans. The comfort stations are clean. Beautiful landscaping. Nice people. Quiet and dark at night.

I've spent a lot of years staying in Disney hotels. We purchased a small camper about two years ago. I prefer the camper and the campground. I wish Disney would expand the campground; it is difficult to get a reservation on the fly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter