Honest, non dramatized opinions please :-D

Emma1987

DIS Veteran
Ok, so I'm looking for some honest opinions on how crazy the crowds are gonne be from 20th June til 10th July.

I know, I know, there's crowd calendars and pictures of crowds circulating the past few days but from people who have been there during these weeks in the past couple of years, can you inform me as to how "manic" the crowds will be.

Crowds don't bother me, but I'm just concerned that it might be a bit much for a couple of people in our family who are going. Will it ruin the magic, or is it all about "planning" ? It most certainly will not ruin any magic for me, I just want them to really enjoy it and get the most out of it. :thumbsup2

Thanks! :cheer2:

We were there a couple of years ago and the crowds were manageable with good planning. We utilized early mornings and late nights more and, after a couple of days realized we needed to avoid the parks during the early afternoon. It seemed the crowds got bad around 11:00 am and the wait times went a little haywire through about 5:00 pm. The kids wanted to stay at the pool or water parks through the afternoon so we didn't accomplish much through the middle of the day.

I was there about 10 years ago for about 4 days during the 4th of July. I watched the 4th of July fireworks in Magic Kingdom and after that stood in an unmoving crowd of people trying to transition to rides/resort bus/shopping...None of us were moving ANYWHERE. It was simply a wall of people. I have never seen it as crowded as it was during this one particular night.

Now this was 10 years ago and this was one of the nights I visited. But I can say, I would never visit again during this time of year. Careful planning might help with the crowds. I can say, I wasn't a planner 10 years ago like I am today.

Good luck with your trip. I'm sure there is a way to enjoy this time of year despite the crowds.

We were there over that timeframe in 2010 and, honestly, the crowd level did not seem worse than our other two trips. There were people, but it wasn't like "OMG! There are SOOOO many people!!" If we get stuck in a crowd (which has only happened on Main Street) we just follow slowly until we find an exit. Actually the pictures I saw of MK yesterday look worse than anything I have seen and we intentionally go on MK EMH days, which are supposed to be busiest. Also, we don't plan a thing during our trips (except for one CRT reservation on our last trip), we just wander aimlessly around the parks doing whatever comes to mind at the time. I think you'll be OK ;) The only day that might be rough is the 4th of July if you plan on the MK. In 2010, it closed due to capacity and we had to do Epcot instead (which had lower crowds than I've ever seen, probably because they were all at MK.) Everyone at WDW wants to be in MK for the special fireworks on the 4th (which they also do on the 3rd BTW, which is when we saw them), so get there early if that is your plan. Good luck!

The last week of June will be less crowded than the week of the 4th of July. The closer you get to the 4th the more the crowds will grow. With the 4th being in the middle of the week this year it may be different because there may not be as many extended weekends?? With that long of a trip, you should be fine! Plan to go to the parks that "feel" crowded like MK and HS on days that might be less busy in June. Epcot and AK are so large that even with crowds it feels less crowded. I would do the water parks on that long of a trip too because they will be cool and more relaxing in the summer heat! Being a teacher, I can only go when crowds are large because of limited travel time. Any crowd is manageable as long as you plan and take breaks during peak times like mentioned above. Enjoy your trip.

Ok, so I'm looking for some honest opinions on how crazy the crowds are gonne be from 20th June til 10th July.

I know, I know, there's crowd calendars and pictures of crowds circulating the past few days but from people who have been there during these weeks in the past couple of years, can you inform me as to how "manic" the crowds will be.

Crowds don't bother me, but I'm just concerned that it might be a bit much for a couple of people in our family who are going. Will it ruin the magic, or is it all about "planning" ? It most certainly will not ruin any magic for me, I just want them to really enjoy it and get the most out of it. :thumbsup2

Thanks! :cheer2:

Well we are planning on going July 3rd - 7th and we know the crowds will be completely insane during that time, but the fireworks on the 3rd and 4th are so worth it. Plus it seemed by the 5th the crowds moved away. I think you will be fine from the June 20th till about July 2nd, and then it will die down after a few days of the 4th.

Either way worth it to me. Also much more tolerable than spring break.

We have been the last three years the third week of June, and will be there again this year during that time.
ROPE DROP is essential. Plan your must do's early in the day. Take a break in the afternoon, back to your resort. You will avoid the hottest part of the day, and the most people. We would be done by 1PM every day, and would walk out laughing how people were just showing up while we were mostly done. Three hour break in the afternoon, pool, nap(mostly nap, love my exhausted teenager!) shower, back in for dinner and non FP attractions like Philharmagic, Laugh Floor, Buzz, Pirates, Mansion, Fireworks shopping snacking etc.
If you do things like Soarin, TT, Rnr, TOT, TSM, Space, Splash ,Thunder, EE first thing in the morning, and save lesser attractions for evenings, you will be all set.
The pictures from MK yesterday were ridiculous. Never seen it that crowded in June while we were there.
It is HOT, though, drink a lot of water, and get out of there in the afternoon.
Hope that helps.

We were there over that timeframe in 2010 and, honestly, the crowd level did not seem worse than our other two trips. There were people, but it wasn't like "OMG! There are SOOOO many people!!" If we get stuck in a crowd (which has only happened on Main Street) we just follow slowly until we find an exit. Actually the pictures I saw of MK yesterday look worse than anything I have seen and we intentionally go on MK EMH days, which are supposed to be busiest. Also, we don't plan a thing during our trips (except for one CRT reservation on our last trip), we just wander aimlessly around the parks doing whatever comes to mind at the time. I think you'll be OK ;) The only day that might be rough is the 4th of July if you plan on the MK. In 2010, it closed due to capacity and we had to do Epcot instead (which had lower crowds than I've ever seen, probably because they were all at MK.) Everyone at WDW wants to be in MK for the special fireworks on the 4th (which they also do on the 3rd BTW, which is when we saw them), so get there early if that is your plan. Good luck!
Yeah, we don't plan on doing Disney at all around the 4th July. I remember years ago when we were there during that time that it was hectic enough. We'll probably head out of the resort for the day. Any tips on where we could go?

The last week of June will be less crowded than the week of the 4th of July. The closer you get to the 4th the more the crowds will grow. With the 4th being in the middle of the week this year it may be different because there may not be as many extended weekends?? With that long of a trip, you should be fine! Plan to go to the parks that "feel" crowded like MK and HS on days that might be less busy in June. Epcot and AK are so large that even with crowds it feels less crowded. I would do the water parks on that long of a trip too because they will be cool and more relaxing in the summer heat! Being a teacher, I can only go when crowds are large because of limited travel time. Any crowd is manageable as long as you plan and take breaks during peak times like mentioned above. Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for that info!!! We're limited to the summer time also because of work and college! :)
None of us enjoy water parks so that'll be out of the question anyway lol.

We have been the last three years the third week of June, and will be there again this year during that time.
ROPE DROP is essential. Plan your must do's early in the day. Take a break in the afternoon, back to your resort. You will avoid the hottest part of the day, and the most people. We would be done by 1PM every day, and would walk out laughing how people were just showing up while we were mostly done. Three hour break in the afternoon, pool, nap(mostly nap, love my exhausted teenager!) shower, back in for dinner and non FP attractions like Philharmagic, Laugh Floor, Buzz, Pirates, Mansion, Fireworks shopping snacking etc.
If you do things like Soarin, TT, Rnr, TOT, TSM, Space, Splash ,Thunder, EE first thing in the morning, and save lesser attractions for evenings, you will be all set.
The pictures from MK yesterday were ridiculous. Never seen it that crowded in June while we were there.
It is HOT, though, drink a lot of water, and get out of there in the afternoon.
Hope that helps.

Thank you!

We have gone over the Fourth of July weekend for the past 2 years and we find if you get to the parks when they open the crowds aren't that bad. We leave at noonish and come back at night. We love going then.

Well we are planning on going July 3rd - 7th and we know the crowds will be completely insane during that time, but the fireworks on the 3rd and 4th are so worth it. Plus it seemed by the 5th the crowds moved away. I think you will be fine from the June 20th till about July 2nd, and then it will die down after a few days of the 4th.

Either way worth it to me. Also much more tolerable than spring break.

I will be there the 3rd through the 6th. I won't be checking in until afternoon, so I'm not planning on any parks the 3rd. It will be me and my sister, and we plan on having a resort day (pool, marina, etc.) on the 4th. I booked a CR TPV room, so we can watch the fireworks from the uncrowded sanctuary of our own balcony. Then we're thinking about maybe going to a park on Thursday, but if we're enjoying the resort too much, we may just have another resort day. We typically hit the parks a lot during the cooler times of the year, so for us, it's going to be about relaxing and enjoying the fireworks. I haven't had July 4th off from work since 2007 :scared1:!

It's going to be hot, humid, and probably rain in the afternoon. There are going to be a lot of people there. Start early, stay late, leave during the peak hours and do something at your resort - and use FP! You can have a good trip any time of year with a little planning and reasonable expectations.

No drama here - it's all calm and serene . . .:cloud9:

It sounds like you have gotten a lot of great advice. The only thing I have to add is that a ADR during the middle of the day, if you don't want to leave the parks, is a life-saver. Nothing like a self-enforced break in air-conditioning to recharge your batteries. And if you want to do table service meals, ADRs are a must. You won't find many places accepting walk-ups.

I don't think you need to avoid a park on the 4th to have fun. Go to Epcot. It is such a huge park that you don't notice the crowds that much at all. If you hit the big rides at park open (Test Track & Soarin) you will be good to go.:thumbsup2

I agree with what everyone else said, RD is essential, as are afternoon breaks. If you are staying onsite, utilize the EMHs. We went last summer the last week of June. It wasn't terrible but it did get crowded in the afternoons. You will be there so long (lucky!!) that you will have plenty of time to get everything done and relax along the way! Enjoy the pools and other resort activities.
We always take afternoon breaks, especially in spring and summer trips. We usually scheduled a TS lunch around 12-12:30 and then headed back to the resort to swim and rest, then went back to a park at night. I love WDW at night. I know you will have a great trip, it just requires a little planning.

Thank you everyone for all of the advice. Hopefully we're all set now! 13 days to go

I'm arriving on the 4th of July. Going to Epcot. It will be crowded but it doesn't usually reach capacity, and MK might.

Getting out on the bus will be another thing...but I am good with waiting in the park while it clears out. I found that to be a good time to visit the Character Connection.

I'm arriving on the 4th of July. Going to Epcot.

THIS! :thumbsup2 We were there for the 4th last year. Epcot was very, very UNCROWDED until late in the evening. We plopped down for Illuminations about 1.5 hours early. With a 4 year old, we needed to be sure we could be somewhere with a good view for her, and have somewhere for her to move around at the same time. It did get crowded, but not anywhere near the pics I have seen of MK on the 4th. It was actually kind of ...... unifying. Most everyone was on "good behavior". It was definitely a magical evening.

We watched the fireworks on the 3rd at MK - but outside the park. (We are DVC members, watched from BLT) I recommend HIGHLY finding a way to watch on the 3rd at MK if you haven't seen them. Simply amazing!

We always do summer trips, and were scared to death of the crowds. It honestly wasn't too bad!

I am so glad to hear all of the positive posts about 4th of July week!! We usually go during the first two weeks of June so this will be our first visit during the busier part of the summer. We will be in MK on the 3rd and Epcot on the 4th - we are so excited about the fireworks:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter