• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Honda CRV or Ford Escape

brockash

DIS Veteran
We are looking to get a new vehicle and I think I've narrowed it down to these 2. The 2 that I'm looking at right now are both 2013's. Any input on pro's or con's to either or both of these? My initial thought is to go with the Honda just because we've always found Honda's to be really reliable and have had very little issue with any that anyone in our family has owned. We currently have a 2000 Ford Expedition that my husband has spent many hours working on over the years, so it crossed my mine that it may be easier for him to work on another Ford if nothing else just for familiarity. We plan on keeping this car for as long as possible as well, so I'm sure it'll end up having well over 100,000 miles on it, so having a vehicle as reliable as possible is most important to me.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

The Escape & Expedition really don't share any parts or even the same driveline configuration, so I wouldn't let "familiarity" be a factor.

I would recommend looking into the technological differences under the food of the new escapes before deciding that maintenance familiarity is a benefit. Some things are similar still but depending on the work you're used to doing on the expedition it may not even be possible on the newer vehicles with the computers that are in them. The basics of course can all be done such as changing fluids and tires, but other maintenance may not be as similar. Of course you hopefully wouldn't have to do any work for at least sometime on the vehicle.
My mom had an escape for about a year and a half and she put nearly 40,000 miles on it in that time and it never had an issue aside from needing an oil change (which isn't really an issue). Considering the time frame we had the vehicles and the miles put on it that is a fairly decent amount. Her vehicle was a 2012 i believe and she now runs a 2014 Explorer (her dream car).
Not saying much for the time but I had a 96' explorer that ran well over 100k miles and it only require minimal maintenance I got it used in 2008 the only thing that wasn't working on it was the AC and i never bothered to try and fix it. This probably doesn't help but i enjoyed the nostalgia

I did a lot of research recently on mid-size SUVs and the CRV is consistently at the top of every ratings list. Not only that, I have several friends with CRVs and other Honda SUVs spanning the last decade and all of them have raved about their cars. They seem to be really durable, and the resale values are great. Just my 2 cents :) I'm saving up to buy one in the next 4 or 5 years.

My husband bought a 2013 Honda CRV. I hate the thing. It's uncomfortable to me to sit in for long periods of time, the front seats feel "crowded" like there is too much stuff on the dashboard or something.
There also seems to be a shortage of cup holders to me unless you want to put something in the door pocket. I always have water with me plus if I stop for a sweet tea or something and I like to put my phone in one of the cup holders. I can't do that in his Honda CRV.

Oh and room for my small purse. I always need to put it in the passenger seat because there isn't a way to put it neatly next to me in his CRV like I can in my Toyota Highlander. And when there is a passenger in that seat I end up having to put the purse on the floor someplace which really irks me.

I know - it's the little things that bug me about that vehicle. LOL

We considered the CRV recently and looked at it in addition to a Toyota, Mazda and Subaru. We liked the Subaru Forester the best.

Another vote for a Subaru, 268K on mine, and it still drives like a top. Look at which vehicles hold their value well, and that's going to help you decide on reliability. Out of your two choices, I would definitely go with the Honda (although like a pp I don't like the layout of the front area).

Terri

Another vote for a Subaru, 268K on mine, and it still drives like a top. Look at which vehicles hold their value well, and that's going to help you decide on reliability. Out of your two choices, I would definitely go with the Honda (although like a pp I don't like the layout of the front area).

Terri
LOL. My mechanic makes a lot of money fixing Subarus, which is why he does not recommend them. Head gaskets seem to be the biggest issue. His issue is that a lot of commonly replaced parts are hidden behind things that have to be removed first. He had to drop the rear differential to get to some part of the smog system.

As for the CRV, and Escape, you'd do just fine with either.

CRV every time. There is no comparing the reliability of a Honda vs. a Ford. Especially if you plan on keeping it for a long time. Our 2009 CRV has never needed a repair.

We just bought a CRV. It has a bit more of a rough ride than my Odyssey but love the smaller size and looking forward to having 4 wheel drive this winter.

CR-V. I had a 2011 Ford Escape. Granted, that was the "old" style, but the extended warranty more than paid for itself in all of the WEIRD fixes that needed to be done to that thing.

I'm now driving a new Honda HR-V. When the warranty was up on the Escape I considered many cars to replace it (didn't trust it without the warranty), but an Escape was not on my radar.

Thanks for all the input. It sounds like my initial thoughts on the Honda are the way to go. - I will say I'm not a fan of the front layout especially with the middle console being so low, but reliability is my #1 concern. I'm sure I'll get used to the differences.

CRV every time. There is no comparing the reliability of a Honda vs. a Ford. Especially if you plan on keeping it for a long time. Our 2009 CRV has never needed a repair.

I wouldn't expect a reliable car to need any repairs for the first 10 years. Not counting brakes and tires.

I had a 2013 CRV and loved it! I got a Pilot this past May only because I needed a 3rd row for hauling my kids and their friends all over the place, but if hadn't needed that I would have kept the CRV for sure.

2 years ago my dh was looking for something this size to commute in. He didn't feel comfortable at all in the crv. So much so, he wouldn't even test drive it. It all depends on what is right for you. He went with a Nissan Rouge and is happy with it.

Not to toss another car in there, But did you look at Equinox. Had one as a rental and was pretty impressed. Driven lots of SUV's and I was impressed.

Between you're two choices, I'd go CRV. There's a reason Honda's have a higher resale value and it's because they will outlast the apocalypse. That said, I would definitely consider a CX-5 (not traditionally what you would of for reliability, but they have a really good reputation now) and the forester as well.

I hate my 2013 Honda CRV. I have never owned a Honda before and bought based on friends and family recommendations, Consumer Reports, etc. At 17K miles the car started vibrating rough at idle, it feels like I am constantly sitting in an uncomfortable chair massager. I've been going around and around with Honda for over a year regarding this and have now started legal actions against them.

Google Honda CRV vibration and a bunch of stuff will come up. Honda has also admitted there is a problem with the 2015's, watch this video that Honda posted on you tube:

I've also been told by mechanics who have looked at my car that they know people working for Honda dealers who are not pushing the CRV. In addition Consumer Reports dropped their recommendation starting with the 2015's. Stay away, I wish I had not bought my vehicle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter