Homework Advice Please ***UPDATE & THANKS***

NCDisneyMom

DIS Cast Member
I need some advice from the veteran parents here. My ds started K this year. Overall, he loves it, and is a very good student in the classroom. Has not had any behavior problems whatsoever, and whenever he brings his classwork home, it's got good marks on it.

He doesn't get much homework, but when he does, we have a very hard time to get him to do it properly. For example, today he brought home a worksheet to trace, and practice writing, upper and lowercase M's. He traced the uppercase M's, wrote 2 on his own, and then started making HUGE M's all over the page. He was doing the homework when he said he wanted to do it. I had him sitting at the table, and using a special pencil with his name on it (his choice). I KNOW he is capable of doing this homework. I've seen him write all his letters before, and he's brought similar workpages home from school that he has done in class. So, he knows what to do.

Even in preschool, he's always behaved better for the teachers than for me and dh. I expect that. But, for those of you who have been through this stage, how can I get him to do his homework? I'd like to resolve this now, before he reaches the higher grades and it becomes a real issue. TIA for all of your wisdom!!! :flower:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Can you talk with the teacher? Perhaps a few homework papers with a sad face might just get him on track.

I do plan to talk to his teacher tomorrow (or as soon as she and I can connect). But, I thought I'd ask here, too, since everyone seems to have such good advice. Thanks!! :flower:

find out what the teacher's priority on homework is. we pulled our child out of a private school that had too great an emphasis on homework. our current school's attitude is "for older grades it is to enhance or expand upon a subject currently covered" (as well as to develop the skill for upper grades). for the younger grades (our son is in 2/3rd) it is to get them ready for upper grades where there is the homework expectation. our k-3 grade teacher (our kids attend a 2 room school house: k-3 and 4-8) believes that the kids should do homework, but if they become frustrated or overwhelmed-the homework should be set aside. she recognizes that the subjects are being covered in class, and does not want the home to become a battle ground. if the (younger child) does not complete the homework assignment, it will be covered the next day-and she would prefer that the child does not become so discouraged that they "turn" themselves off to the subject.

vetern mom and teacher too. Here's my advice. Try to be completely unemotional during the homework time. Have a set time everyday, (if the teacher doesn't send any work use the time to read a book together). Turn off the TV and sit together at the table. Tell him how you know he can do a great job on the paper and that you expect him to always take pride in his work. You may need to give positive strokes every few minutes. When you think he is getting tired offer a short break. Be careful that you control the break. Go out for a short walk together or offer a quick snack. Then right back to work. Some parents find it helpful to use the kitchen timer. Something like "If you do your best work for 5 minutes, we will take 5 minutes to have a snack." Be sure to reward hard work with lots of praise. You are correct to begin right now with good study habits. It is one of the best gifts you can give to your child. :)

My son's kindergarten teacher doesn't believe in assigning homework to 5-year-olds. She said their job at home is to learn through play. However, she assigned us parents homework: read to him everyday, limit t.v. watching, interest him in home activities that will involve counting or rhyming, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about his rebelling. The school year just started and the first few weeks are stressful enough. If he doesn't want to do his homework, put it away and try again later, maybe he would like to do it with dad. Or perhaps you can get some of those "good job" happy face stickers that you can put on his work when he has completed it. Try to figure out what motivates him in other areas and try the same tactic. If nothing seems to work don't pressure or threaten him, just send his homework back in as is. He'll come around soon enough.

I second disneycrazymom. Get him in the right frame of mind now. Homework is homework and must be done. Teacher assigned it as practice, practice makes you better, so you practice.

Sit down and get to it. Set the timer for about halfway through the homework and let him work until the bell rings. Then, take a quick break. Some silly mommy time is fun. Don't let him get involved in anything big.........no tv shows or video games. Then tell him you're going to stop playing for a few more minutes and finish up the homework, and then you'll play again.

Don't accept any arguments. Don't reason with him. Be matter of fact. We started homework, you did great, we took a break, now we finish. You can do x when you're done.

Is he writing the big M's to get done faster? My son would do that, kind of like being in college and reducing the margins to make your paper longer. With this type of homework I would tell him when he starts that he needs to make 7 "M's" on each line and then he is done, or what ever. Give him something to work toward and and ending point so he knows he is done. It sounds like the homework is a little boring for him, but necessary. Sometimes directions like, fill the page with "M's" can be a little confusing for 5 year old concrete thinkers-he is "filling" the page with "M's" buy making big "M's" all over the page instead of putting 7 "M's" on each line.

I find young boys to have the attention span of a gnat! Good luck with the good advice all ready given!

meandtheguys2 said:
I find young boys to have the attention span of a gnat! Good luck with the good advice all ready given!

I find this with boys of all ages unless it involves sports, tv or video games :rotfl2: .

I just wanted to thank everyone for your great replies. His homework is not due until tomorrow (Friday), and on the way home today, ds said that Ms. XXXX reminded them of it. So, we talked about it on the way home. I told him that we would work on it when we got home, and afterwards, he could play his video game if he wanted to. I think I found part of the problem. He said to me "But Mommy, I already know how to make big M's, but I don't know how to make little M's". So, with the big M's, he didn't think he needed to, since he already knew how. So I told him "But honey, Ms. XXXX doesn't know that you know how, and she wants to see them". So he asked if I would help with the little M's, and of course I said yes. I also made sure to tell him that they didn't have to be perfect, as long as he tried his best.

So...long story short, we went home, he sat down, made some big M's, made some little M's (I made a point of showing him how, each time he wrote one, it got better and better), and colored the picture on the page. He was very proud of himself when he was done, and I made sure to tell him how proud I was of him, too.

Thanks again, everyone...one hurdle down...a million more to go, I'm sure. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter