homeschool questions

momz

DIS Veteran
I am interested in home schooling for a number of reasons, which I will explain if it's necessary. But for now...I have some questions. Currently my husband is employed full time M-F 8-5. I am employed part time. I work two 12 hour shifts/week, and we are very much dependant on my income. I see no way of making ends meet without either of our incomes. I think that we could home school on the days that I am not working. But my dilemma is what to do with the kids while I am at work. Currently they go to the YMCA before/after care at their school. I've thought of hiring a sitter, but I am concerned about the real life feasibility of this...there are a lot of "what ifs" involved with that. What if the sitter decides she doesn't want to do this after all, what if the sitter is sick, what if my changing schedule makes keeping a sitter difficult...etc. We used daycare before they were old enough for school, but their old daycare doesn't watch school agers during the day. I'm at a block on what to do. I'm sure there are other homeschooling families out there where the mom works part-time. Or, is this a pipe dream?

I'm not sure of the issue but if all else fails have you considered looking into placing the child(ren) in a school out of your district? I had to do this with my daughter as her school literally made her sick because of the mold problem there. I considered homeschooling her but she really needs someone else to teach her as she is just so hard headed at times. I love her new school and the principal and teacher are most wonderful. Another DISer can actually second about the principal. lol

You may look into homeschool enrichment programs in your area. I know our district has a program in place for homeschoolers 2 days a week where they attend the program and do their "specials", along with either 3 hours of math or science. The children then do the rest of their schoolwork at home, using whatever curriculum their parents have chosen. We homeschool and my son attends a program on Fridays. He loves having the interaction with the other kids, and I welcome the break! Maybe your county has something similar that would allow you to work during those days? Or just do your school days on days that you are not working. No one says you have to follow a traditional calendar for school. Perhaps that means schooling 4 days a week for 11 months or until you get your required number of days in. You will find as soon as you start researching this that there are as many different ways of doing this as there are families schooling their own kids!

We home schooled from 6th grade onwards and many families we mixed had found ways to juggle work and 'schooling'.

You may be able to find another HS family that is prepared to have your children with them during the week or even in an emergency if a sitter was sick.
Can you or your husband negotiate the starting and finishing hours you work?
I know 2 women who changed jobs to find something that was more flexible.
Can any of your work be done at home? (We knew a number of families whose parents were able to do some of their work at home reducing time in the office)

It can be done, you just need to get a little creative with the organization. We had 2 single mums in our local group that were working full time hours and homeschooling. Don't forget there are 24 hours, 7 days a week.

Good luck, home schooling was a wonderful option for our family.

You could also look into private home school programs. I teach once a week at a local home school alliance (I am a certified teacher turned SAHM). There are several other alliances in our area, and I know some of the kids who attend ours on Wednesdays attend another on Mondays. There is also a "home school school" in our area where kids attend classes 2 days a week and are assigned homework for the remainder of the week (it's modeled after university classes). Anyhow, I would check out local home school alliances in your area and see what they offer. Most of our classes run about $35 a month for a one-hour class. --Katie

Can you do plain day care?

This way you could pool up with some other family in the same situation but different days. You take their kids while the parents are at work and their parents take your kids when you are at work. Home schooling does not have to be included in this arrangement.

How old are your kids? Do you have other homeschool families in the area, especially ones with high school age homeschoolers?

If there are some local high school homeschoolers, they may be able to watch your childen and help them do some of their schoolwork with them. My dd is almost 15 and she does all her own work, so she could watch someones kids and get some of her work in at the time. I am lucky that she is at the age where she can watch her 6 year old sister if I have to work during the week.

We homeschool Tues-Sat although sat doesn't always yield completed work with my younger daughther since I do work Sat. You can make it work if you really need to.

We homeschool on a weird schedule. DS would rather do less work but do work 7 days a week than to have a couple days off. He does take some holidays off though. His choice as long as the work is done at a decent rate.

As for daycare...how old are your kids? My DS was in a daycare all day at 8 years old. The let him "help" with the younger kids. It was unconventional and he was the only one until the after school kids got there but they did work with me. You might want to try calling a few. Also, do you know any stay at home moms that might welcome the extra money? It is only one or two days so they might be willing. I know I would. And I second the teen babysitting idea. You can do it, you just might have to be a little creative with how you work the babysitting out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter