*** Homeschool List ***

Although I said I wouldn't frequent the forum, I did want to check back. Thanks for those of you who responded. Maybe I did miss the point, but I think whoever thought I was slamming home-schooling (or unduly taking them to task) by pointing out the other stereotype missed the point, too.

While you might consider that a "tongue-in-cheek" answer, it is also responding with a stereotype. The point was that stereotypes persist on both sides (and this goes for many types of arguments), and that perpetuating stereotypes is not any way to open up discourse . This really proves my point that using them does nothing to open anyone's minds; it only puts people on the defensive and in a retaliatory mode.

Of course, I didn't read the entire thread. I really didn't have that much time available. But I think it would be interesting to revisit it, and I'll suggest that Jerry Scott do so, too. Maybe it would generate some ideas for a future story line.

Thanks again. I appreciate your comments.

We actually don't ever stop... We do a lot of unit studies and things rather than actual curriculum, so we just move on to the next subject. The things we are using a "curriculum" for, we move on to the next level when they're ready. When we all need a break, we take one! :thumbsup2

This is exactly what we do!:)

Although I said I wouldn't frequent the forum, I did want to check back. Thanks for those of you who responded. Maybe I did miss the point, but I think whoever thought I was slamming home-schooling (or unduly taking them to task) by pointing out the other stereotype missed the point, too.

While you might consider that a "tongue-in-cheek" answer, it is also responding with a stereotype. The point was that stereotypes persist on both sides (and this goes for many types of arguments), and that perpetuating stereotypes is not any way to open up discourse . This really proves my point that using them does nothing to open anyone's minds; it only puts people on the defensive and in a retaliatory mode.

Of course, I didn't read the entire thread. I really didn't have that much time available. But I think it would be interesting to revisit it, and I'll suggest that Jerry Scott do so, too. Maybe it would generate some ideas for a future story line.

Thank YOU!! I am also a fan of Baby Blues. We LOVE it! That and Luann and the classic Peanuts are my favorites. Even my 10 year old brings the comic strips to me to show me your strip and how funny and REAL it can be!

I am not anti PS either. My oldest went for 2 years and it is amazing what PS high schools have to offer around my area. Homeschooling for me was a calling, if you will. I also am one who loves all the choices we have here in the USA and am very appreciative of those who fight for us and keep our country free. (not so sure about those politicians though!!:laughing: ) Of course, being from Louisiana, my view of politicians is jaded pretty badly, but hopefully our new governor will change my heart in that way!!

It is amazing to me that you found this thread and cared enough to post.

I can now read your comic strip and think, "hey, he posted on our thread!!". Love how you capture life, keep it up!!!

Lori

I understand your POV. I believe we see this thread as our "safe haven" where we can vent to each other. It has become our community and we forget that anyone can find and read the thread.

HELP!

My son has 7 weeks left of 7th grade. I have hated this school since the instant he stepped foot into it and was trying to hard to talk him into Homeschooling. He goes in one hour before and stays one hour after school - EVERYDAY ! ! !

And...I just got a letter today that he is in danger of 'retention'. I called the school - of course, no call back. I hate them.

I want to homeschool him, but how on earth do I proceed from here? I want him starting EIGHTH grade - not seventh again. He is NOT slow, or anything of the sort. For lack of anything better - they seem to be picking on him.

HELP!!! What can i do, to get him 'graduated' and onto eighth next year?

Having received 2 emails from readers who had the same interpretation of this series of strips, I decided to go to Google to check if there were any others out there interpreting them the same way. That's how I came upon this forum. Luckily, I didn't find any others.

Thanks very much for reading the strip, and we'll try to be more clear with our gags. Please keep an open mind, and don't assume everyone is out to get you.

Rick Kirkman
Baby Blues

Woo Hoo! Does this mean I get extra points for bringing a celebrity to our forum? Or does it mean that I have to stand in the corner for being too narrow minded that day to even bring it up?

Regardless, if it really was Rick Kirkman (how will we ever know?), it is nice to know that he took what was said seriously and was kind enough to re-confirm that it wasn't meant as an affront to us homeschoolers.

Thanks Rick!!

Best Wishes

HELP!

My son has 7 weeks left of 7th grade. I have hated this school since the instant he stepped foot into it and was trying to hard to talk him into Homeschooling. He goes in one hour before and stays one hour after school - EVERYDAY ! ! !

And...I just got a letter today that he is in danger of 'retention'. I called the school - of course, no call back. I hate them.

I want to homeschool him, but how on earth do I proceed from here? I want him starting EIGHTH grade - not seventh again. He is NOT slow, or anything of the sort. For lack of anything better - they seem to be picking on him.

Well, if you homeschool him you would just put him right in 8th. There might be some legal issues if you were to put him back in PS at some point, but I'm not sure. That kind of thing varies from state to state. You may be better off pulling him now, before he is officially "retained". I would try to find a local homeschooling group and talk to them, they would have a much better feel for the nuances of the local laws.

You may also want to post on the new "Homeschool Chat" post. Most everyone has moved over there due to the nearing of the 200 page death knell for this post.

HELP!

Do you mean that you want to homeschool him over the summer for instance to get him caught up or that you want to take him out and just homeschool him and do eigth grade?

Hi I'm a newbie to the forum taking our first WDW trip this September. I plan to homeschool my boys (currently only 2 months and 2 1/2 years), but will be starting loose preschool lessons this fall. So just wanted to say Hi, in case I pop in more later.

Hi All-

I am new to this thread and to homeschooling. My oldest will be homeschooled beginning at the end of this school year. She is starting second grade. There are a lot of pages to catch up on here so I'll give it a go!

Thanks-
Erin :teacher:

Hi everyone, My daughter is currently in PreK and I have to say I hate the school system here it has been terrible! I was wanting to look into homeschooling my daughter but I have no idea where to start or what to check out Im completly clueless, if anyone has any helpful sites/advice please pm me! thanks!

I'm afraid that the link to the new homeschool thread isn't working for me. :sad2:

Hi
I live in Alabama and plan to do the A beka Academy program also. I was wondering if you ever found out if it counts as a cover school? Thanks.

Hi
I live in Alabama and plan to do the A beka Academy program also. I was wondering if you ever found out if it counts as a cover school? Thanks.

I wouldn't think so, but I don't know for sure. Would they deal with the superintendent and keep your attendance records? We live in Georgia, but since we are on the border I know lots of Alabama HS'ers and they all use a cover school. Many of them do use Abeka.

You may want to ask on our new thread, this one is approaching the length when they lock it. Try this link: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=24402925#post24402925

Does anyone here have any experience dealing with the k12 program here in GA and not going by their timetable? What I mean is, we booked a package deal back in April for the free dining in Sept. Before we enrolled in the program,(back in May) I talked to a teacher from GVA and one of the counselors(I think that's who she identified herself as), and told them about our vacation plans. They said no problem, as long as we got in the required 180 school days, and we let them know ahead of time of our plans. I don't know why I didn't notice it before, but I see on their website that they have strict rules regarding their school schedule, and that vacations need to be planned around it. I know how strict Georgia is about their absentee policies. Are we putting ourselves in an iffy situation? Any experience with this, anyone?

We use GVA and they are not strict, you can even log 12 hours a week for supplemental hours. Just let your teacher know and theres even a way to change your childs school calendar. Its very flexible, I would not worry at all.

So odd. I unsubscribed from this thread months ago, but it popped back into my recent updated list just now. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter