• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Homeschool Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you guys don't mind me interrupting but I need a little help for a class I'm taking. I'm in University of Phoenix online for Elementary Education and currently taking a Math for Elementary class.

We have a project (due Monday) and I need to see a textbook in order complete it. The professor just gave us the assignment this week and unfortunately my huband and I only have one vehicle and he uses it to get to work during the week so I could not get to a school. I asked friends and went to 3 bookstores, with nothing to show for it.

What I need is the introduction page to LCM & GCD (lowest common multiple and greatest common denominator). I just need the intro to it. I've tried looking on the web for textbooks but I really don't want to buy a textbook when I just need one chapter introduction. It can be for any grade in elementary ages.

Do homeschooler buy their books at a store... where I could go to look at the textbook maybe? Anyone have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thank you!

A lot of homeschoolers buy their curricula online. Don't know of any stores that sell textbooks...maybe a Barnes and Noble? What information, exactly, do you need for your project? Maybe you can find the info online? Maybe one of us can scan something (out of one of our math books) and forward it to you?

A lot of homeschoolers buy their curricula online. Don't know of any stores that sell textbooks...maybe a Barnes and Noble? What information, exactly, do you need for your project? Maybe you can find the info online? Maybe one of us can scan something (out of one of our math books) and forward it to you?

I've been to B&N, Books a Million, and the Parent & Teacher store. None of them carry textbooks. All I need is the chapter intro to lowest common denominator & greatest common multiple. It can be any grade in elementary school, but I think they start teaching it around 3rd or 4th grade ??? I would also need the copyright info on the book so that I can reference it. My email address is pigletsmommy08@live.com. If someone can email the info that would be great too.

My kids are still extremely young, but I'd like to homeschool them for the first 1-2 years {to start out at least}. I'd like to start get a jump on what they would learn in a tradition setting or what they need to know to progress each year.

I would appreciate any wisdom and thoughts you have to help me out. I'd like to sub to the thread just to read.

Thanks so much!

Hello Homeschoolers! I need opinions please...dd is going into 7th grade in the fall, which means going to middle school. Our school system has an intermediate school for 5th and 6th grades. She is in the gifted program, which for math is basically accelerated, so they're doing 7th grade math this year. English has more flexibility, and she is being exposed to many different things there. Socially, the "mean girls" are really starting to come out and they are MEAN! I don't want her to deal with that.

Anyway - I've thought about homeschooling her for years. Pros: she is a bright kid, we can move ahead once she master's something, we can go more in depth in areas she's interested in, schedule flexibility Cons: social aspects - dd is a VERY VERY quiet kid (you could use the s word to describe her) but not lacking in self confidence, she just chooses not to talk to people she doesn't know and isn't too good with small talk (which is probably not that uncommon for 11 year olds) - but it takes her a long time to form a friendship and I don't want to pull her away from her friends; violin - she's taking it at school.

Final thing - we have a virtual public school here through k12, if we do that she will be in their b&m building twice/week. Thoughts/experience with that?

I don't know if I'm thinking about it for her or for me, it needs to be what's best for her so I thought I'd ask for some objective yet informed opinions. Her education has been fine so far, not exceptional but not horrible.

Thanks everyone!

what do you guys use for science curriculum for elementary grades?
I have been piecing together curriculum, and want to try something different for science.
we have been using a book i bought at barnes and noble for earth science, and i also have the science workbooks from Singapore for my 1st grader.
I have some books from usborne i use also, but I don't have a set science "curriculum" and would like one, so any suggestions?

We use Noeo....it isn't perfect but all in all, I am pretty pleased.

My kids are still extremely young, but I'd like to homeschool them for the first 1-2 years {to start out at least}. I'd like to start get a jump on what they would learn in a tradition setting or what they need to know to progress each year.

I would appreciate any wisdom and thoughts you have to help me out. I'd like to sub to the thread just to read.

Thanks so much!

Hi! We live out in the Vistancia area. I just went to the school here (Peoria School District) and asked for the outcomes for kindergarten. They even provided me with a kindergarten "report card/ development chart". You can also check your school district's website for information regarding the outcomes for each school year. (At least you can for Peoria, anyway!) HTH! :thumbsup2

Well, what does your daughter want to do? Can you do partial enrollment? Here in NH we can have our children take classes at the public school. (If there's no room in Honors Biology, you can still take Biology, for instance. Or music or choir or...)

Do you or your daughter anticipate her going to your public high school? I got caught in the uninformed parent trap about eighth grade classes as prerequisites for high school. In the end, we found a workaround and then my ds didn't like the high school anyways.

Hello Homeschoolers! I need opinions please...dd is going into 7th grade in the fall, which means going to middle school. Our school system has an intermediate school for 5th and 6th grades.

Final thing - we have a virtual public school here through k12, if we do that she will be in their b&m building twice/week. Thoughts/experience with that?

Thanks everyone!

We used K12's literature, history, science, music and art as independent users in middle school and liked it. Mind you, I was OK with the fact that our younger son wasn't as advanced in lit as his older brother and so didn't do the last year of lit but did the next to last (a 7th or 8th grade course) because I thought that the book selection was too adult for him. You might have your daughter take their online placement tests and see where she falls. You might also want to talk to the virtual school teachers and see if they're looking for all the work or selected assignments to demonstrate mastery. Some of the assignments were pretty long for writing-hating boys and so I modified them.

If the academics are so-so, then it's pretty much the social questions that may answer you. Are the mean girls going to make your daughter miserable? Will it interfere with her friendships or learning? Will her friends support her and she'll have a good time and ignore the mean girls? Is there a reasonable chance that she'll have classes & lunch with her friends?

I'd also see if there are other children who she knows through church, girl scouts, soccer, etc. who are homeschooled who might give her a sense as to what the process might be like.

Good luck with your decision!

NHWX

My kids are still extremely young...

Watch out...DS started demanding "real school" and compromised on sitdown sessions with workbooks...when he was 3. I mean, not instantly at 3, but during that year!

I feel like I keep talking about my own stuff without contributing much...I'm sorry...but I gotta say...DS is just about to read! He's sounding things out, and when he focuses (and doesn't just make up what he wants the word to be, LOL) he does really well! It's very cool.:goodvibes

Well, what does your daughter want to do? Can you do partial enrollment? Here in NH we can have our children take classes at the public school. (If there's no room in Honors Biology, you can still take Biology, for instance. Or music or choir or...)

Do you or your daughter anticipate her going to your public high school? I got caught in the uninformed parent trap about eighth grade classes as prerequisites for high school. In the end, we found a workaround and then my ds didn't like the high school anyways.

We used K12's literature, history, science, music and art as independent users in middle school and liked it. Mind you, I was OK with the fact that our younger son wasn't as advanced in lit as his older brother and so didn't do the last year of lit but did the next to last (a 7th or 8th grade course) because I thought that the book selection was too adult for him. You might have your daughter take their online placement tests and see where she falls. You might also want to talk to the virtual school teachers and see if they're looking for all the work or selected assignments to demonstrate mastery. Some of the assignments were pretty long for writing-hating boys and so I modified them.

If the academics are so-so, then it's pretty much the social questions that may answer you. Are the mean girls going to make your daughter miserable? Will it interfere with her friendships or learning? Will her friends support her and she'll have a good time and ignore the mean girls? Is there a reasonable chance that she'll have classes & lunch with her friends?

I'd also see if there are other children who she knows through church, girl scouts, soccer, etc. who are homeschooled who might give her a sense as to what the process might be like.

Good luck with your decision!

NHWX

Thanks for the info, questions and suggestions! I appreciate it. DD is like me - do we or don't we? A crystal ball would really help...:rotfl:

Watch out...DS started demanding "real school" and compromised on sitdown sessions with workbooks...when he was 3. I mean, not instantly at 3, but during that year!

I feel like I keep talking about my own stuff without contributing much...I'm sorry...but I gotta say...DS is just about to read! He's sounding things out, and when he focuses (and doesn't just make up what he wants the word to be, LOL) he does really well! It's very cool.:goodvibes

That's funny, my DD4 was the same way! She couldn't wait to have "schoolwork".

On a side note, I have to thank Bumbershoot! About a year or more ago, we were struggling with DS, then 6. He had just been diagnosed with dyslexia and was exhibiting signs of ADHD and the doctor had suggested medication. We didn't rule out medication, but wanted to try other avenues first. I saw Bumbershoot's thread (I can't remember if you were the OP or contributed) on HFCS and began eliminating it from his diet. The difference was amazing! I felt awful for him, so many times he had been punished for acting wild, etc. All this time it was what I was feeding him!! My parents laughed at me and one day while they were babysitting, gave him some oreos. They weren't laughing when I got home! :scared1: It's actually really sad to see him go through the spastic craziness then the emotional meltdown. I think that is the beauty of homeschooling, when an issue arises you can really get to the bottom of it.

Hello Homeschoolers! I need opinions please...dd is going into 7th grade in the fall, which means going to middle school. Our school system has an intermediate school for 5th and 6th grades. She is in the gifted program, which for math is basically accelerated, so they're doing 7th grade math this year. English has more flexibility, and she is being exposed to many different things there. Socially, the "mean girls" are really starting to come out and they are MEAN! I don't want her to deal with that.

Anyway - I've thought about homeschooling her for years. Pros: she is a bright kid, we can move ahead once she master's something, we can go more in depth in areas she's interested in, schedule flexibility Cons: social aspects - dd is a VERY VERY quiet kid (you could use the s word to describe her) but not lacking in self confidence, she just chooses not to talk to people she doesn't know and isn't too good with small talk (which is probably not that uncommon for 11 year olds) - but it takes her a long time to form a friendship and I don't want to pull her away from her friends; violin - she's taking it at school.

I don't know if I'm thinking about it for her or for me, it needs to be what's best for her so I thought I'd ask for some objective yet informed opinions. Her education has been fine so far, not exceptional but not horrible.

Thanks everyone!

Hey!! I have a few thoughts...first of all-mean girls! i went to school with some reaaaal winners! They could have gotten the term from them. I was friends with most of them, but they took turns with certain girls(me included) who they would be mean to. Even tho we were sometimes friends...it didn't exclude me...things got worse until we considered putting me in a private school..for some reason my parents didn't do it. A choice I regret them making..I was smart and popular...but still treated bad because I was a 'good' girl...didn't drink, smoke, skip school with the boys...so, the older we got, the harder it got---I would NEVER put my kids through that if I had other options. All that to say..if you are concerned, pull her out...the friends she has now may or may not be friends later in life....I have only one reaaaally good friend from school--she lived down the street from me and was the first friend I made by myself in Kindergarten:hug: so, is it worth seeing those friends, if she may be exposed to worse situations?
As far a violin...could something be worked out with that? As far as b&m...I don't know what that is!!! Could you explain it? My kids have always been home-except for the oldest who is now in 8th grade...doing 9th grade math...and my 5th grade son does 6th grade math...so yes, you can move them along at the pace THEY need. The older one is the social one and he does need more interaction..but that was also a problem for him in our local public school...he always finished his work first and got in trouble for talking..he would tell me how bored he was. Both boys take guitar, my dd is in ballet and they are very involved with our kids groups at church....
It's not gonna all be perfect..some things will be a sacrifice..but in the long run I think it all pans out and you know when you have made the right decision for your kid! I know this got rambly, but I hope you gleaned something good out of it!:cutie:

Hey!! I have a few thoughts...first of all-mean girls! i went to school with some reaaaal winners! They could have gotten the term from them. I was friends with most of them, but they took turns with certain girls(me included) who they would be mean to. Even tho we were sometimes friends...it didn't exclude me...things got worse until we considered putting me in a private school..for some reason my parents didn't do it. A choice I regret them making..I was smart and popular...but still treated bad because I was a 'good' girl...didn't drink, smoke, skip school with the boys...so, the older we got, the harder it got---I would NEVER put my kids through that if I had other options. All that to say..if you are concerned, pull her out...the friends she has now may or may not be friends later in life....I have only one reaaaally good friend from school--she lived down the street from me and was the first friend I made by myself in Kindergarten:hug: so, is it worth seeing those friends, if she may be exposed to worse situations?
As far a violin...could something be worked out with that? As far as b&m...I don't know what that is!!! Could you explain it? My kids have always been home-except for the oldest who is now in 8th grade...doing 9th grade math...and my 5th grade son does 6th grade math...so yes, you can move them along at the pace THEY need. The older one is the social one and he does need more interaction..but that was also a problem for him in our local public school...he always finished his work first and got in trouble for talking..he would tell me how bored he was. Both boys take guitar, my dd is in ballet and they are very involved with our kids groups at church....
It's not gonna all be perfect..some things will be a sacrifice..but in the long run I think it all pans out and you know when you have made the right decision for your kid! I know this got rambly, but I hope you gleaned something good out of it!:cutie:

Don't worry about the rambly - I love it! She has told me she would miss her "school only" friends. We have a nasty girl-clique that's started in the neighborhood and she's not in it, which is a good thing. She has told me about some bad things on the bus, mostly with the girls (that has really surprised me!); these things aren't to her but I've wondered is just a matter of time? She refuses to "hang" with these kids, so that's good; now I'm driving her to/from school every day.

B&M - I mean brick & mortar school :) I've talked to a friend who had her kids there and they are pretty strict about the kids being there those 2 days and they also don't seem to let your child move ahead, seems to be pretty traditional so I don't think I would go that way. I want the flexibility in our schedule and for dd to progress at her speed.

We changed up our school room again. I think we've got it now. School days have been going smooth lately & his stuff looks organized.

We are using an adaptation of the Workbox system to help keep us organized & DS on task. It took a lot of tweeking, but I think we are moving in a better direction. (Thought about putting him back in school last month.)

100_3439.jpg
100_3441.jpg
100_3444.jpg
100_3442.jpg
100_3440.jpg

Opinions? Advice?

I am starting to look into planning for next year, our first year of homeschooling DD9. This is what I think we are going to go with:

History: Sonlight Core 3 advanced readers/4 day
Science: Sonlight 3…DD’s choice between 3 or 4
I like the literature approach to the subjects and feel that my DD will benefit from this style of leaning. I also feel pretty comfortable with the program since I was able to view samples etc.

Math: Teaching Textbooks….grade 4/5 depending on where she ends this year.
DD used to love math, now she cries over it...but that seems to be the norm for any school work in our home nowadays. This seems to be a fairly non-stressful program. I have also thought about Singapore Math but not sure if it would benefit my DD.

Language Arts: Christian Light Publications….grade 4

Thank You DawnM for that info you posted! The program seems to have a little bit of everything in Language Arts and not to be too stressful.

Music: may be violin lessons and some sort of appreciation...has anyone done the recorder with their children?

Art: not sure yet. She is very interested in art/learning to draw etc so I am still looking at resources.

I am not going to push it but DD is also interested in foreign languages so we may informally do Rosetta Stone Chinese and throw together some French resources as well.

I am just getting my feet wet and appreciate any input. If you see a theme of non-stressful, you would be correct...the past year and a half have been a rollarcoaster with DD in school.....it just took us 1 1/2 hours to do three reading connections, but that's a whole 'nother story.

Thanks!

Opinions? Advice?

I am starting to look into planning for next year, our first year of homeschooling DD9. This is what I think we are going to go with:

History: Sonlight Core 3 advanced readers/4 day
Science: Sonlight 3…DD’s choice between 3 or 4
I like the literature approach to the subjects and feel that my DD will benefit from this style of leaning. I also feel pretty comfortable with the program since I was able to view samples etc.

Math: Teaching Textbooks….grade 4/5 depending on where she ends this year.
DD used to love math, now she cries over it...but that seems to be the norm for any school work in our home nowadays. This seems to be a fairly non-stressful program. I have also thought about Singapore Math but not sure if it would benefit my DD.

Language Arts: Christian Light Publications….grade 4

Thank You DawnM for that info you posted! The program seems to have a little bit of everything in Language Arts and not to be too stressful.

Music: may be violin lessons and some sort of appreciation...has anyone done the recorder with their children?

Art: not sure yet. She is very interested in art/learning to draw etc so I am still looking at resources.

I am not going to push it but DD is also interested in foreign languages so we may informally do Rosetta Stone Chinese and throw together some French resources as well.

I am just getting my feet wet and appreciate any input. If you see a theme of non-stressful, you would be correct...the past year and a half have been a rollarcoaster with DD in school.....it just took us 1 1/2 hours to do three reading connections, but that's a whole 'nother story.

Thanks!

We just got our Teaching Textbooks for math (to replace Math U See) and both DDs (13 & 11) seem to like it. We've literally had it 2 days, though, so they may decide they hate it next week. I really like it, though, it seems thorough and engaging. Singapore math was a disaster for my children.

I did recorder with my oldest 2 DDs, younger 2 have done piano. Piano is good in that it really teaches how to read the music on the staff as well as chords, and how notes and octaves can be laid out in a linear sense. Recorder, not so much, but was a good precursor to the flute.

We use Oak Meadow curriculum and I REALLY like that. It integrates LA, Social Studies, and science very well and with a literature-based program.

I, personally, can't imagine Chinese and French at the same time. Of course, I can't imagine Chinese at all considering the delicate differences in the language and the closeness of some pronunciations with a fine line between correct and offensive. IMO, Chinese is best learned directly from a native speaker. I took German, Spanish, and French as a child and the French just would not stick which proved to be a great source of frustration. I'm conversational in German, can understand enough Spanish to be dangerous :rolleyes1 and can generally speak enough to complete a transaction or give basic directions. Unless a child is a natural linguist, I would be careful pushing too much in the language direction.

I, personally, can't imagine Chinese and French at the same time. Of course, I can't imagine Chinese at all considering the delicate differences in the language and the closeness of some pronunciations with a fine line between correct and offensive. IMO, Chinese is best learned directly from a native speaker. I took German, Spanish, and French as a child and the French just would not stick which proved to be a great source of frustration. I'm conversational in German, can understand enough Spanish to be dangerous :rolleyes1 and can generally speak enough to complete a transaction or give basic directions. Unless a child is a natural linguist, I would be careful pushing too much in the language direction.

Thanks! I am not committed to anything at this point, so I will check out Oak Meadow.
I do not think she is a natural linguist....but is interested in other languages, kind of like her mama! I can muddle through reading French/Spanish, but can not have a conversation. Same with Chinese (we already own Rosetta Stone), I understand the intonations and can help her with that, I don't think I have offended anyone yet,:scared: but I have gotten some strange looks now and again. Anyway, it would definately be more for fun than academics!

Thanks! I am not committed to anything at this point, so I will check out Oak Meadow.
I do not think she is a natural linguist....but is interested in other languages, kind of like her mama! I can muddle through reading French/Spanish, but can not have a conversation. Same with Chinese (we already own Rosetta Stone), I understand the intonations and can help her with that, I don't think I have offended anyone yet,:scared: but I have gotten some strange looks now and again. Anyway, it would definately be more for fun than academics!

You know, she might be interested in learning about linguistics first, along with an initial language. I was utterly fascinated by the class when I took it in college (I was an English major) and now that I have a better knowledge of the language trees and how to look at the etymology of a word, I can even pick up on some Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, and Creole now and then. I've not seen a linguistics course for homeschoolers, but certainly there are some resources out there for that.

When I was an English teacher, I used to give each of my students a root word each week (i.e. "sci") and have them find as many English words that used the root as they could, so "science", "prescient", "omniscient", "conscious", for example.

You know, she might be interested in learning about linguistics first, along with an initial language. I was utterly fascinated by the class when I took it in college (I was an English major) and now that I have a better knowledge of the language trees and how to look at the etymology of a word, I can even pick up on some Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, and Creole now and then. I've not seen a linguistics course for homeschoolers, but certainly there are some resources out there for that.

When I was an English teacher, I used to give each of my students a root word each week (i.e. "sci") and have them find as many English words that used the root as they could, so "science", "prescient", "omniscient", "conscious", for example.

Wow, I never thought of that! Thanks! It is definitely something to look into.

On a side note, I have to thank Bumbershoot! About a year or more ago, we were struggling with DS, then 6. He had just been diagnosed with dyslexia and was exhibiting signs of ADHD and the doctor had suggested medication. We didn't rule out medication, but wanted to try other avenues first. I saw Bumbershoot's thread (I can't remember if you were the OP or contributed) on HFCS and began eliminating it from his diet. The difference was amazing! I felt awful for him, so many times he had been punished for acting wild, etc. All this time it was what I was feeding him!! My parents laughed at me and one day while they were babysitting, gave him some oreos. They weren't laughing when I got home! :scared1: It's actually really sad to see him go through the spastic craziness then the emotional meltdown. I think that is the beauty of homeschooling, when an issue arises you can really get to the bottom of it.

OMG I'm so HAPPY for you! Isn't that stuff crazy? I personally think it does something weird to the blood sugar. Just slams it up really high so they can't do anything but freak out. But I could be wrong.

But I'm so happy for you and your son and your family. Plus, you just made my day. I just told DS, and he's smiling for you guys too. (little too focused on Legos to speak right now, but that's understandable, legos are fun!)

littlepeppers, I love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter