Homeschool Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
We always talk about what the kids are learning and what they are reading...what are you reading?

Learning All the Time, by John Holt
Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling, by John Taylor Gatto

Probably neither of these are new to this group. :)

My other book I am reading is: Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach by Brad Hudson. (I'm a runner. And this book is :lovestruc )

I would love to read the Kingdom Keepers series. I keep looking at the books when we are in WDW.

Right now the Swine flu terrifies me. Ordinarily, these things don't. However, I keep reading that the people that have the complications are ones with chronic problems. DD was just diagnosed with asthma in June, but the bigger problem is she isn't over the pneumonia that she got yet. It is resolving as of her CAT scan 2 weeks ago, but not gone. She also has enlarged tonsils and cervical lymph nodes. We don't know why. She has had a lot of blood work and goes back to the ENT tomorrow morning. Also, we thought she had appendicits last week, but I think it was enlarged lymph nodes in the abdomen that mimic appendicitis. Now, you can see why I don't want her getting it.

I would like to get her vaccinated for both flu's, but they don't know if they will have the vaccines when she goes in Sept for her check-up.

I would love to read the Kingdom Keepers series. I keep looking at the books when we are in WDW.

Right now the Swine flu terrifies me. Ordinarily, these things don't. However, I keep reading that the people that have the complications are ones with chronic problems. DD was just diagnosed with asthma in June, but the bigger problem is she isn't over the pneumonia that she got yet. It is resolving as of her CAT scan 2 weeks ago, but not gone. She also has enlarged tonsils and cervical lymph nodes. We don't know why. She has had a lot of blood work and goes back to the ENT tomorrow morning. Also, we thought she had appendicits last week, but I think it was enlarged lymph nodes in the abdomen that mimic appendicitis. Now, you can see why I don't want her getting it.

I would like to get her vaccinated for both flu's, but they don't know if they will have the vaccines when she goes in Sept for her check-up.

I refuse to let my kids get the swine flu vacc. They are rushing this vacc. out there b/c of public & govt pressures. I don't think that it has been tested enough to put out on the market. I would rather take my chances w/ the flu than have my kids have a weird sideffect or death from a vacc that wasn't properly tested.

I refuse to let my kids get the swine flu vacc. They are rushing this vacc. out there b/c of public & govt pressures. I don't think that it has been tested enough to put out on the market. I would rather take my chances w/ the flu than have my kids have a weird sideffect or death from a vacc that wasn't properly tested.

I agree with this. Didn't more people die from the swine flu vaccine in the '60's than the actual flu itself? That vaccine was also rushed.

Hello all! I am hoping you can share some experiences with me.

DH and I have been discussing homeschooling since DS was only 2. We reached an impasse in that all the arguments I presented for homeschooling can't get past his personal need to "see it for himself". All he will agree to is that we would homeschool if and only if we tried DS in a traditional school setting first. I reluctantly agreed and dropped the subject as I had done everything I could from a theoretical standpoint (presented the studies and research)

As DS has a January birthday, he won't be able to go to Kindergarten for 2 more years when he is nearly 6. I don't want to waste 2 more years holding my tongue and stewing. I am considering enrolling DS in a pre-k/preschool program to see how he does in a school setting.

Did anyone else do anything like this? Send your child to preschool or even Kindergarten first?

FYI: I want to homeschool because I personally despised the formal academic environment and am more of an autodidact. I felt so much was just useless busy work that taught me nothing. For DS I am drawn to more natural/pragmatic learning, and eclectic sources, and interest based unit studies and such.

Did anyone else do anything like this? Send your child to preschool or even Kindergarten first?

FYI: I want to homeschool because I personally despised the formal academic environment and am more of an autodidact. I felt so much was just useless busy work that taught me nothing. For DS I am drawn to more natural/pragmatic learning, and eclectic sources, and interest based unit studies and such.

In my experience (I have 4 DDs, 2 are adults, 2 still at home), sending them to school FIRST is a phenomenally much harder transition to home than the other way around. "School" is very good about rules and structure and orderly walking in straight lines and squelching any kind of original thought or opinion.

When I pulled my oldest 2 out (4th and 2nd grades), it was VERY difficult since they had preconceived notions of what school should "look like". We had to have desks and a pencil sharpener and a clock and workbooks for the first few years and even then, it was a struggle (and I had been a school teacher myself!)

My younger 2 have never stepped foot in a public school. Our philosophy is "Wake up. Start learning." We do still use curriculum, but there is no particular start or end time to our "school" day. If we have something to do, we do it. If we want a day off (like today), we take one. In addition to the curriculum, my DDs write a paper a week on a subject they are interested in. This week, it's Germany and the history of dragons. It might be manatees or China or fashion in the 1800s. Whatever piques their interest at the time is fair game. They knew more about Mesopotamia in the 2nd grade than I did in college.

Schools are good at martialling children into good citizenship, compliance, conformity, and, often, boredom. Those are very hard concepts to dis-instill once they have been put in place. Rather than learning to learn on their own, my older 2 never were able to master their own learning without me ("teacher") telling them what to or offering a lot of guidance.

Thanks graygables, that's what I was afraid of.

Well, I still have time, I'll keep working on it until I find the argument that works with hubby. At least I am evaluating preschool curriculum, now, and can show him that DS already excels at what he would be working on.

Thanks graygables, that's what I was afraid of.

Well, I still have time, I'll keep working on it until I find the argument that works with hubby. At least I am evaluating preschool curriculum, now, and can show him that DS already excels at what he would be working on.

Maybe see if you can convince your DH to let you try homeschooling for preschool and go from there. That's what we're doing. Neither DH nor I are totally convinced that homeschooling will be something long term (basically cause we're nervous about it) but we're trying it out now while she's 2/3/4. If it doesn't work out then we can send her to Kinder on time.

Yeah, what we've been doing is basically homeschooling, and I have said to DH "Look at how much he knows and has learned already. We can do this. We ARE doing this".

He accuses me of putting my anti-school bias on to my son, and points out how he thrives in structured settings like TaeKwonDo and the Build and Grow Workshops at Lowe's, and might thrive in the structured school environment as well. I wish I could say DH is being ignorant or obstinate, but his arguments are well thought out, even though we disagree.

Yeah, what we've been doing is basically homeschooling, and I have said to DH "Look at how much he knows and has learned already. We can do this. We ARE doing this".

He accuses me of putting my anti-school bias on to my son, and points out how he thrives in structured settings like TaeKwonDo and the Build and Grow Workshops at Lowe's, and might thrive in the structured school environment as well. I wish I could say DH is being ignorant or obstinate, but his arguments are well thought out, even though we disagree.

What, exactly, is he afraid of? Is he concerned that there won't be enough structured time and it will be a free-for-all? If so, you've already set a precedent by having him involved in some structured activities. Is he worried about your ability to teach? Again, like you said, you ARE teaching him. Who taught him to walk? to feed himself? to toilet? YOU. You are already laying the foundations for reading, math, social studies, science, and more. Teachers and schools WANT you to believe that you must be a "trained professional" to teach children. Newsflash: I AM a trained professional and "classroom management 101" is about as useful as underwater basket weaving. Math is not my forte. Once we get to the point where they are learning it faster than I can, we will access outside sources. Tutors, co-ops, etc are available to cover any subject. Is he afraid of seeming "weird" or "strange"? The homeschool movement is growing geometrically thanks to the failure of public schools. It isn't all about right-wing conservatives or left-wing liberals anymore. There is a huge group in the center who just want the very best for their children.

I am always asked about the "s" word (socialization). I bring up examples from my own experience as a student and teacher of said socialization (drugs, pregnancy, getting beat up in the bathroom, weapons, fear) and say, "no thank you". My daughters are bright, well-behaved, and can interact with any generation, not just 28 or so of their same-aged peers. They can think for themselves and are becoming very wise from being able to exercise their brains rather than try to cram them into a standardized test box at the end of each school year. They have participated in drama, dance, instrument lessons, photography, art, tai chi, karate, ice skating, and more. They are getting ready to attend a YES program here at WDW to learn more about American History with other homeschool families (some from the DIS!) PLENTY of "socialization".

It would be helpful to know what his specific concerns are. I would encourage you to keep "homeschooling" (although we call it "parenting" ;)) through the preschool years and try to get your husband on board for a trial run first. It really is MUCH easier to put them in school later. The only issue is they tend to be better-mannered and know more than their peers, so sometimes placement can be a challenge.

I just bought the Kingdom keeper series for my dd10. Disney after dark and disney before dawn. Oh, they look so awesome. I've been really bad at spending money lately, so I fought with myself on whether or not to buy them. Well, I bought them and just got one of them in the mail the other day and waiting for the next, I ordered them from Amazon, and am putting them away for Christmas, my dd is going to be so excited. Using them as Christmas gifts was the only way I could tell myself it was ok to buy them right now.lol

What I really want to do is read them before I give them to her. lol

I just bought the Kingdom keeper series for my dd10. Disney after dark and disney before dawn. Oh, they look so awesome. I've been really bad at spending money lately, so I fought with myself on whether or not to buy them. Well, I bought them and just got one of them in the mail the other day and waiting for the next, I ordered them from Amazon, and am putting them away for Christmas, my dd is going to be so excited. Using them as Christmas gifts was the only way I could tell myself it was ok to buy them right now.lol

What I really want to do is read them before I give them to her. lol

you should definitely read them first. I've only read the first one. I put the 2nd one on hold at the library the other day. I hope it comes in soon. :)

What, exactly, is he afraid of?

At the beginning of the debate he brought up the 's' word, though he can't argue it from fact, only his 100% positive personal experiences, and I slammed it down with different experiences and hard data, so he never actually says it anymore.

We debate everything in this way...including printing out studies and such, so please don't think this is a violent fight or anything. Just one of the few issues we have been unable to resolve. He can't convince me and I can't convince him.

At the beginning of the debate he brought up the 's' word, though he can't argue it from fact, only his 100% positive personal experiences, and I slammed it down with different experiences and hard data, so he never actually says it anymore.

We debate everything in this way...including printing out studies and such, so please don't think this is a violent fight or anything. Just one of the few issues we have been unable to resolve. He can't convince me and I can't convince him.

I completely get what you are saying (and don't you hate it when they have a strong, logical case??? ;) ) Something's going to have to give, though, my vote is in favor of homeschool first, traditional school second. BTW, my older 2 went back to trad school in the 8th grade (long story, but had to do with advanced classes) The oldest one finished and did a dual enrollment with college, the second one came back home again and at 16, asked if she could just take the GED and get on with her life, which she aced it and got on with college at 17. Going back was much easier than coming out, in our experience.

I wonder if your husband is being so stubborn on this because he's had personal experience with "weird" homeschoolers. I know when I was a kid I encountered a few. I know that is something that is still in the back of my mind. But now that I'm an adult my positive experiences and the fact that it's not such a weird or different thing now has changed my view.

Maybe you can convince him to go to a homeschool fair with you next summer and you can meet other homeschoolers. I wonder if that will help.

Also, I know the last few weeks I've been getting a lot of emails from my yahoo group about sports teams. So if that's something your husband is concerned about you can point that out too.

Maybe you can find a yahoo group in your area to join. You'll start getting the emails and see just how many different options there are.

HELP, PLEASE!!!!

I have emailed Noeo but not gotten a response yet. Our weather kit CD will not launch on our Mac so we can't do any of the experiments. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a printed version of the experiments online anywhere?

TIA!!!!

MMM

Well, we have almost finished our first week back. I am so tired. But it is a good tired. We had homeschool volleyball practice and homeschool soccer games and practice on top of it. I don't think anyone could argue with me that my kids aren't socialized if they saw our schedule. Whew!

BTW, our Disney Homeschool days tickets came in the mail today. I can't wait to go, yeah!:cool1::cool1:

Well, we have almost finished our first week back. I am so tired. But it is a good tired. We had homeschool volleyball practice and homeschool soccer games and practice on top of it. I don't think anyone could argue with me that my kids aren't socialized if they saw our schedule. Whew!

BTW, our Disney Homeschool days tickets came in the mail today. I can't wait to go, yeah!:cool1::cool1:

Did you just get the tickets, or did they send more info. with them? Ours are being mailed to my sister because we used her credit card to buy them all at once.

Did you just get the tickets, or did they send more info. with them? Ours are being mailed to my sister because we used her credit card to buy them all at once.

We just received the tickets and a receipt. I expected some sort of Welcome or Explanation of the Event, but no. I didn't even get a ticket for the extra classes. I am not sure if they are on the park tickets or maybe you just need to be on a list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter