• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Homeschool Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got this from a friend today, I thought it was pretty good.

Mrs. Jones prefers packaged curriculums, and every year her children work through their grade-appropriate textbooks right to the last page. Her homeschool seems so nicely structured and orderly! Mrs. Smith loves to write her own literature-based unit studies and her children wear out the numbers on their library cards. Her children's unit study notebooks are very impressive and her family seems so well read. Mrs. Thompson is more of a classical homeschooler and can't imagine a day without Latin, Greek, and logic. Her budding Rhodes scholars seem destined for academic greatness. Of course, Mrs. Peters is something of a free spirit and really loves to do hands-on projects and real life learning with her children. Last year they recreated the entire city of Rome using Sculpey clay and her children all won blue ribbons at the county fair with their homemade cheese, hand-knit afgans, and their beautiful jams.

Then there is you. You go through each day doing the best you can. While you pray for God's guidance and really do want the best for your children, you can't help but think that if you were more like Mrs. Jones or Mrs. Smith or Mrs. Thompson or Mrs. Peters, your children would be better off. After all, they each have very good reasons for doing things the way they do, and they can each make a case for their methods being the best for children.

Let me let you in on a little secret. If the textbook mama had to write her own unit studies, she would probably tear her hair out. If the laid-back mama tried to follow an intense classical program, she and her children would all be miserable. If the classical mama tried to just relax and fly by the seat of her pants, she would come undone. If the literature and unit study mama got hit up with a stack of textbooks and workbooks she would feel like she'd been thrown in jail! You see, all of those methods are good - just different.

There was a time that I would end up in tears some nights after happily settling in with a stack of new homeschool catalogs. There were just SO MANY ways to educate children! It seemed like whatever I did, my children would be missing out on some essential method or plan or approach. We need to remember different families will educate their children in very different ways. God isn't in the business of creating cookie-cutter children, and it is truly beautiful to realize that He will equip each of us to teach our children in the way that is best for them and for us.

The whole system works well until we start comparing ourselves to others in ways that defeat us. If we allow ourselves to be blown about with the winds of every homeschooling method we discover, our inconsistency will harm our educational efforts instead of h elping them. Please don't misunderstand - as our seasons in life or our circumstances change, we will find our homeschooling endeavors flexing, changing, and growing with us. If God calls a textbook mama to turn Charlotte Mason (or visa-versa), it will be a GOOD thing because God did it . . . . but if that textbook mama goes CM because she feels guilty about not having nature studies, she will just frustrate herself and her children.

Loved this! I just started hs mid-year, and so many times felt like I was doing things all wrong, b/c they just weren't going well. In actuality, I think I was trying to be Mrs. Jones when I was really a Mrs. Smith. Thanks for affirming that it's OK to go my own way and do what's right for us, rather than what everyone else thinks we should be doing :goodvibes

Mrs. Jones prefers packaged curriculums, and every year her children work through their grade-appropriate textbooks right to the last page.. . . . but if that textbook mama goes CM because she feels guilty about not having nature studies, she will just frustrate herself and her children.

What a great message before the school year starts. :goodvibes Its so true.

I added myself to the list below:

I think a petition is a great idea :thumbsup2 and then forward the whole list to the techie thread. Or maybe a good dousing of individual posts/requests is in order?

-----

Dear DIS Team,

The Home School group is in desperate need of a place to discuss issues important to educating our children. HSing is growing in popularity as people all across the USA realize the benefits to children and to families. With one thread we can not exchange ideas, provide advice or direct new HSers to information in a reliable fashion. Many messages get skipped as they are all jumbled together and easily missed/lost.

Wont you please reconsider providing that place to your users?

What is more important than education ?

Thank you for your consideration,
Teacups

1. teacups
2.TLHB70
3. Lori1043
4. LittleBlue22

LittleBlue,
I replied to your PM. Didnt see ths post here, sorry. YES YES please use my post/letter on the forum. Thanks!
Teacups

you can add my name too

Added my name :thumbsup2
Littleblue22 - you have permission to use my name, too. A school forum sounds like a good idea and maybe it will be given some consideration. I just know that one thread is NOT working. It's way to hard to address all the different topics and things get missed and/or skipped over. A "how to strart homeschooling" could easily be a sticky by itself. Curriculum questions need their own threads.

maybe something will happen this time. :wizard:

Would any of you be interested to add the petition thread link in your signature box? I think it would give the thread more visability.

Sorry to be focusing on the homeschool days when you all are trying to get the forum request settled, but I'm really confused. Maybe someone can help me. I did call youth services today and asked about the Jan days and was told they aren't decided yet, but probably 2 or 3 week in Jan. I then looked at the Sept info and checked into the ticketing. It looks like there are two days where you can buy a ticket to AK if you need one and then add on the home school ed component. I then looked at the YES info and they have a variety of ticket options that go from three day to five day options. I guess they are different programs. My question is: if you are a family not with a group, can you purchase the YES package and then add on the home school days part? I want to get my facts straight when I discuss this with dd and dsil! Thanks and good luck with the forum. Grammy

Mrs. Jones prefers packaged curriculums, and every year her children work through their grade-appropriate textbooks right to the last page. Her homeschool seems so nicely structured and orderly! Mrs. Smith loves to write her own literature-based unit studies and her children wear out the numbers on their library cards. Her children's unit study notebooks are very impressive and her family seems so well read. Mrs. Thompson is more of a classical homeschooler and can't imagine a day without Latin, Greek, and logic. Her budding Rhodes scholars seem destined for academic greatness. Of course, Mrs. Peters is something of a free spirit and really loves to do hands-on projects and real life learning with her children. Last year they recreated the entire city of Rome using Sculpey clay and her children all won blue ribbons at the county fair with their homemade cheese, hand-knit afgans, and their beautiful jams.

Then there is you. You go through each day doing the best you can. While you pray for God's guidance and really do want the best for your children, you can't help but think that if you were more like Mrs. Jones or Mrs. Smith or Mrs. Thompson or Mrs. Peters, your children would be better off. After all, they each have very good reasons for doing things the way they do, and they can each make a case for their methods being the best for children.

Let me let you in on a little secret. If the textbook mama had to write her own unit studies, she would probably tear her hair out. If the laid-back mama tried to follow an intense classical program, she and her children would all be miserable. If the classical mama tried to just relax and fly by the seat of her pants, she would come undone. If the literature and unit study mama got hit up with a stack of textbooks and workbooks she would feel like she'd been thrown in jail! You see, all of those methods are good - just different.

There was a time that I would end up in tears some nights after happily settling in with a stack of new homeschool catalogs. There were just SO MANY ways to educate children! It seemed like whatever I did, my children would be missing out on some essential method or plan or approach. We need to remember different families will educate their children in very different ways. God isn't in the business of creating cookie-cutter children, and it is truly beautiful to realize that He will equip each of us to teach our children in the way that is best for them and for us.

The whole system works well until we start comparing ourselves to others in ways that defeat us. If we allow ourselves to be blown about with the winds of every homeschooling method we discover, our inconsistency will harm our educational efforts instead of h elping them. Please don't misunderstand - as our seasons in life or our circumstances change, we will find our homeschooling endeavors flexing, changing, and growing with us. If God calls a textbook mama to turn Charlotte Mason (or visa-versa), it will be a GOOD thing because God did it . . . . but if that textbook mama goes CM because she feels guilty about not having nature studies, she will just frustrate herself and her children.

I just copied this to my Homeschool organization-Thanks!

Oh and I am not sure it will fit on a siggy since the space is more limited now.

Everyone, please copy and paste and add your own name, we cannot possibly keep up with additions-or someone will be skipped or doubled.

Thanks(JMHO)
Lori

I really appreciate all of the helpful responses!! I have decided to use the A Beka curriculum.

I have another question, though. How long is too long to wait to get them started once we move? If they take off 2 weeks, do I need to make up the time that they miss? Example...they go to school 70 days here in Iowa. Do they need to do an entire 100 days of A Beka to have 170 of school days and pass the grade?

From what I have read, MS requires 180 days of instruction. Yes you would count the days they attended school in Iowa toward the 180 days.

I just copied this to my Homeschool organization-Thanks!

Oh and I am not sure it will fit on a siggy since the space is more limited now.

Everyone, please copy and paste and add your own name, we cannot possibly keep up with additions-or someone will be skipped or doubled.
Thanks(JMHO)
Lori

ITA and it was my mistake for having part of the list duplicated. My apologies :blush:

I really appreciate all of the helpful responses!! I have decided to use the A Beka curriculum.

I have another question, though. How long is too long to wait to get them started once we move? If they take off 2 weeks, do I need to make up the time that they miss? Example...they go to school 70 days here in Iowa. Do they need to do an entire 100 days of A Beka to have 170 of school days and pass the grade?

That will depend entirely on which state you end up in. Some have an attendance requirement (you keep a record of which days you "did" school), others do not. I would probably start keeping track at the beginning of your school year, just in case you do need that info when you move.

ITA and it was my mistake for having part of the list duplicated. My apologies :blush:

See, I actually didn't see any dups AND was not pointing out anyone at all!:thumbsup2 . I just was stating it to make sure it goes smoothly and no one person is responsible for the list. Just my way of trying to help make this easier. No harm done and no apologies necessary.:hug:

Lori

Count me in as well.

1. teacups
2. TLHB70
3. Lori1043
4. LittleBlue22
5. wvdislover
6. Disney Mommy 3
7. Nuzmom
8. NHWX
9. sha_lyn
10. Momvic5
11. heatherplus3
12. Temair

Count me in as well.

1. teacups
2. TLHB70
3. Lori1043
4. LittleBlue22
5. wvdislover
6. Disney Mommy 3
7. Nuzmom
8. NHWX
9. sha_lyn
10. Momvic5
11. heatherplus3
12. Temair

13. Denine

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter