• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Homeschool Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry this is long, but I hate abbreviations. Let me start by saying that I'm sorry if I violated any unwritten homeschool rules for posting here as a non-homeschooler. I am a certified teacher. I was homeschooled for 4 years and loved it. I think it was the best educational decision my parents ever made for me. However, now I am having some doubts and wonder if anyone has advice for me concerning my own kids' education.

I taught in Christian schools before I had kids. I wanted my children to have a good Christian education, so I put my daughters in Christian preschools. I had always intended to use Christian schools, because I assumed I'd always be teaching in one. However, now I'm a stay-home mom, and want to teach them at home since I can't afford tuition. My oldest has attended a Christian elementary school for K and 1st. I planned on homeschooling, but baby#4 came along and we knew her education would suffer, so we forked the tuition money over, and so far have been pleased with the outcome.

But here comes my dilemma. My daughter's best friend from K is being homeschooled this year, and now she keeps begging me to teach her at home too. I had already paid to send her back to Christian school for 1st, since the baby was only 6 months old, but am seriously considering homeschool next year. My younger daughter will be in Kindergarten in the fall. I know I can do it. I used to teach K and 2nd, so I'll be adequately prepared for both daughters' educations. However, I still have two little ones at home, and because we're paying off tuition from the girls, can not afford to send the boys to preschool.

How will I manage 4 small kids and full-time teaching?

I looked into an umbrella program, but it seems there are only two types offered in my area: one that lets the kids take all their "electives" on campus one day a week while homeschooling for the basics, and one that offers parents a chance to "co-op" one day a week.

I don't know if the first type would be enough for me, since it is only offered on Wednesdays. I would be paying $160 a month for my girls to go for 6 hours each week, but that doesn't seem like adequate time to teach my preschooler. If I have to teach my girls elementary subjects, I kknow my son will get overlooked. I need to have a little time every day, not just one day a week. On the other hand, I feel like the co-op option isn't educational enough to help me out. Since I'm more than qualified to teach, I don't think volunteering 5 hours a week while my kids take "craft" and "photography" classes serves any purpose. I don't mind sharing my wealth of knowledge and expertise with other local homeschool families, but it would be taking up valuable time that I need to spend with my own kids. I don't want to sound like we're too good for this program, but it just doesn't sound like what we are looking for as far as homeschooling groups.

While both types offer a network and testing/record-keeping services, I feel like there is a bigger need that is being overlooked, but don't know how to go about finding a program that will meet it.

Should I just keep my kids in Christian school until the baby is old enough that I can manage my time to homeschool? Should I only pull one kid out and when I've mastered homeschooling to her needs, then do the others one-at-a-time, too?

Or should I try homeschooling a 2nd grader, kindergartener, and pre-kindergartener all at once, with a one-year-old still underfoot?

I'm used to managing a classroom with 13 kids at a time, but they were all the same grade level and developmental stage. Plus, they were using the same curriculum.

Curious as to how you teach three different grade-levels to three different VERY DEMANDING children, while still having a non-schooler.

Thanks in advance!

I did not know there was a new thread out there for HS. I have been away from Dis for awhile now. But I'm back. I did not read all the pages so if someone already covered it, sorry.
I have been HS for 16 yrs and have 10 more to go. I love it and could not imagine life without it.j
Now on to the lapbooks. I started using the Charlotte Mason method of teaching this year and absolutely love it. It works wonders for my special needs children.
I used the lapbooks as a way to get them show their work. I got the basic idea of using manila folders from a convention. They drew pictures, wrote new words on small cards and put in pockets, wrote descriptions from books we read, etc.

The curriculum we used was from Queen Homseschooling. Again I loved the books. Sandy Queen also wrote several study guides to go along with the books.

Now on an other note. I'm glad to see the HS thread is still alive. It's alway neat to find others who have the same interests.

My son, 9th grade, is using one of Smarr's courses. He is doing intro to Lit, and it is a thorough lit program.

http://rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1210018370-730632&subject=6&category=960

Thank you for providing that link, because now I remember that I'd heard about that program at a seminar once and it seemed great. It really helps to hear about things other people use and like. I will definitely look into it - just have to decide between American and British lit. :)

2) I have really didn't like our history that we've participated in through our co-op. We've done Story of the World for 3 years and the Light and the glory series of 3 books another year. I'm just not convinced that my kids remember anything they learned (and DS12 was always top in class).
What do you use for History???? For those that use any of the above history curriculum, how do you feel it worked for you?

Thanks for your time.

We used the Mystery of History last year (Vol I & II for different levels of kids) and we loved it!! This year we needed Vol III and couldn't find it. Sooo, I began looking for something else, we were leaning toward the History guides from Beautiful Feet Books and also we found Truth Quest History. TQ is probably what I am going to use. It has a strong Christian view point and uses lots of the books suggested in the BF guide. So, I feel like I am going to be using both!! Of course, once I decided and ordered,I found out they just released the Mystery of History III! Oh well!! I know that was the best decision for us-we like lots of living books!!! Hope this helps!!

I think most of y'all have younger kids than mine (not hard, since she's in 11th grade! ;) ), but I'll try this anyway...

Has anyone used "Learning Language Arts Through Literature"? I'm looking for a new English program for next year (12th grade) and this one looks good, but I don't know anything about it. I'd appreciate any input - good and bad - from anyone who has used it before. I'd also love suggestions for other great high school English curricula. We currently use Alpha Omega LifePac, but want to try something different.

Thanks! :goodvibes
First off-love your 'name'!! That would make a great license plate as well!!:worship:
We are going to be using LLATL this year. We will have the green(7th) and the orange(4th)-this is another subject I just couldn't find anything I absolutely loved and was so thankful to come across this one!! I have looked through every thing I could find and this seems the best! The only other thing I know of would be Rod & Staff(my best friend uses this) but it's sooooo much work-really a bit of overload. I didn't want them so bogged down that they are hating their work. I think this is going to be a good balance. Some reviews said the spelling needed to be reinforced with a spelling program, but my kids are great spellers, so we will see how that goes. I am expecting my books in at the end of this week, so I get to look through there and check it out even more! If it's not what I expected I will get back and tell ya!! Can't wait to get those boxes in!!!
In fact, my friend who does Rod & Staff is switching to LLATL this year!!!

I think most of y'all have younger kids than mine (not hard, since she's in 11th grade! ;) ), but I'll try this anyway...

Has anyone used "Learning Language Arts Through Literature"? I'm looking for a new English program for next year (12th grade) and this one looks good, but I don't know anything about it. I'd appreciate any input - good and bad - from anyone who has used it before. I'd also love suggestions for other great high school English curricula. We currently use Alpha Omega LifePac, but want to try something different.

Thanks! :goodvibes

Before I address this, Kibbycat, so your post doesn't go ignored...
HS'ing this many kids at different grade levels IS possible and can be done. I cannot speak for it though as I only have 2 kids, both girls ,10 and 8. I HS'ed DD10 for preschool and it took about 30-45 minutes a day with a good curr.(Hands on Homeschooling-obviously very hands on). She went on to PS for K and 1st and did wonderfully. I think when you start homeschooling there is a "transition time" from regular school-it consists of everyone getting used to being around each other 24/7, and accepting that mom is ONE person. She can help one at a time. If your kids are demanding, they WILL adjust, but just give it time. If it is God-led(you said you were Christian), He will see to it that you have to tools to do it successfully(talking to myself here too,b/c it is hard and sometimes I wonder;) )

As for LLATL, DD10 has used it ever since we started HS'ing. So this is the end of our 3rd year using it for her. It did NOT work for DD8 though, who needs a more regimented workbook aproach. All the cut out stuff and games were just too much for her:cutie: .

LLATL is a very literature based all inclusive grammar, writing, spelling(although we do not use it for spelling), language, reading curriculum.
We like it a lot, but I do feel that -at least my experience with the younger grades- it is generally a year or half year behind. Esp if you have a child who adores reading. DD10 has been on the purple book(she is in 4th) for a few months now. Somehow, she finished orange mid/late year and started on purple. So now we will end purple mid/late year, and so on, if we stick with it. I cannot see why not at this point.

Since LLATL is not an option at this point for my DD8, we have used Abeka Language and Letters and Sounds and Spelling(insert green sick smilie here)-L2 and L$S were okay, but spelling was GAG!!-hence, It did not work for us! It is good for phonics though with the Readers and the "apple book" as we call it. Next year we are using Easy Grammar, Daily grams, writing with the best and sequential spelling with her. I may get some phonics centers for her b/c that is a weak area for her b/c it BORES her. She is my reluctant reader. She can read well, but only if she HAS too!

Lori

We used the Mystery of History last year (Vol I & II for different levels of kids) and we loved it!! This year we needed Vol III and couldn't find it. Sooo, I began looking for something else, we were leaning toward the History guides from Beautiful Feet Books and also we found Truth Quest History. TQ is probably what I am going to use. It has a strong Christian view point and uses lots of the books suggested in the BF guide. So, I feel like I am going to be using both!! Of course, once I decided and ordered,I found out they just released the Mystery of History III! Oh well!! I know that was the best decision for us-we like lots of living books!!! Hope this helps!!

I would love to find a history program that works for all my children! How do you do it? Do you go back at some point and review the same material with your younger children again as they get older? If so, is your oldest included in this review, or does he continue on with new material? My oldest is in 6th grade, and my younger two are in 3rd and 1st grades. Obviously, I have to modify the reading and work load to fit each child, so at what point do I go back and have my younger two review what was too much for them in the past. I know I am probably giving it too much thought, but I just can't find peace of mind. I would love to know how you do it or what your plans are for your younger two.

Right now, each of mine have their own history textbook. Though it works, it is not ideal. It is so time-consuming to do 3 different time periods.:scared1:

I just printed out the colour match the animal page from a link here and he walked up, turned the animals upside down, then picked them up and matched them to the color and walked away.

Colours, mastered.

I just want to know, is it really suppose to take an entire day to get 1 week of projects ready? I had apples crafts, a fact sheet on apples, apple juice. He can tell you it is a fruit and grows on trees. Now we are going to the library to read a book about apples.

I just don't know if I am doing this right or not? I used enriched learning, DTLK for kids, and just kept going from link to link for pages.

IS there an easier way? We don't have a bunch of extra money for supplies. But I do have a fast computer and printer.

What else should I be covering? We have science, math, words, art and songs, english with letters and two letter words.

Did anyone else just feel lost at first?

Things I have learned so far. Have the work laid out and all art projects ready to go. School goes by fast.

Have you used learningpage.com? I really like the worksheets and theme units. As far as time spent planning lessons, I was in the same boat this year for DS kindergarten. This fall we are ordering Sonlight. I really hate to spend that much money, but we are going to try it for a year and see if its worth it.
Good luck! We've only been at it since Jan, but it seems to be getting less :scared1: already.

I just printed out the colour match the animal page from a link here and he walked up, turned the animals upside down, then picked them up and matched them to the color and walked away.

Colours, mastered.

I just want to know, is it really suppose to take an entire day to get 1 week of projects ready? I had apples crafts, a fact sheet on apples, apple juice. He can tell you it is a fruit and grows on trees. Now we are going to the library to read a book about apples.

I just don't know if I am doing this right or not? I used enriched learning, DTLK for kids, and just kept going from link to link for pages.

IS there an easier way? We don't have a bunch of extra money for supplies. But I do have a fast computer and printer.

What else should I be covering? We have science, math, words, art and songs, english with letters and two letter words.

Did anyone else just feel lost at first?

Things I have learned so far. Have the work laid out and all art projects ready to go. School goes by fast.

I think it does take quite awhile to get started. Once you have your system down it will be better. Think about it though, someone spent a LOT of time preparing those curriculums and teachers do planning each week even WITH a prepared curriculum.\

As for what to cover and how to do it, you'll get more into the mode of schooling as life as you go along. Learning colors for instance....have some jelly beans, talk about how many you each have of each color, line them up, group them together, who has more, can you make a pattern with them? Look up on the internet how jelly beans are made and look at some factory pics (jellybelly.com has a virtual tour.) Voila! A whole day of school done. You did colors, you did LOTS of math, you read about jelly beans (language arts AND science) and Hey, you might even pick up some history along the way. Then do some painting and go outside. I firmly believe that a lot of homeschooling is your mindset.

As a for instance, on our last very long thread I told a story about my boys deciding they needed to go on an adventure. They were soooo busy I hated to interupt them but I also felt bad about not doing "school" Well out of that day they learned about making maps--different kinds and what landmarks are--they did planning for what they would need on their adventure, they took books with them to read, they figured out how they would make sure they did not get lost in addition to creating maps ala Lewis and Clark etc. They did all of this inside as it was like Jan and their camp was behind the living room couch.

RIght now, they have been outside looking for the perfect bug to feed the venus fly trap we got about a month ago. When we got it, they found out about carnivores and herbivores in the plant world and what makes a plant a plant and not an animal. They also learned how plants get and use energy. They have spent much time searching for bugs and creating bug habitats so that they have a supply for the plant. (This I admit is grossing me out!)

As you go along you are going to get more and more in tune with what works for you son and how much info he can get just through living life.

However as for websites my favorites are www.enchantedlearning.com www.edhelper.com www.starfall.com and the Learning page one mentioned above.

Good luck and don't stress!

First off-love your 'name'!! That would make a great license plate as well!!:worship:
We are going to be using LLATL this year. We will have the green(7th) and the orange(4th)-this is another subject I just couldn't find anything I absolutely loved and was so thankful to come across this one!! I have looked through every thing I could find and this seems the best! The only other thing I know of would be Rod & Staff(my best friend uses this) but it's sooooo much work-really a bit of overload. I didn't want them so bogged down that they are hating their work. I think this is going to be a good balance. Some reviews said the spelling needed to be reinforced with a spelling program, but my kids are great spellers, so we will see how that goes. I am expecting my books in at the end of this week, so I get to look through there and check it out even more! If it's not what I expected I will get back and tell ya!! Can't wait to get those boxes in!!!
In fact, my friend who does Rod & Staff is switching to LLATL this year!!!

Thank you for the compliment on my 'name' :) I never thought of using it on a license plate...something to consider :thumbsup2

Thanks also for your insight on LLATL. We used Rod & Staff our first year (8th grade) and I totally agree that it is very comprehensive, but a LOT of work.

Yes, please let me know how it looks when you get it!

As for LLATL, DD10 has used it ever since we started HS'ing. So this is the end of our 3rd year using it for her. It did NOT work for DD8 though, who needs a more regimented workbook aproach. All the cut out stuff and games were just too much for her:cutie: .

LLATL is a very literature based all inclusive grammar, writing, spelling(although we do not use it for spelling), language, reading curriculum.
We like it a lot, but I do feel that -at least my experience with the younger grades- it is generally a year or half year behind. Esp if you have a child who adores reading. DD10 has been on the purple book(she is in 4th) for a few months now. Somehow, she finished orange mid/late year and started on purple. So now we will end purple mid/late year, and so on, if we stick with it. I cannot see why not at this point.

Since LLATL is not an option at this point for my DD8, we have used Abeka Language and Letters and Sounds and Spelling(insert green sick smilie here)-L2 and L$S were okay, but spelling was GAG!!-hence, It did not work for us! It is good for phonics though with the Readers and the "apple book" as we call it. Next year we are using Easy Grammar, Daily grams, writing with the best and sequential spelling with her. I may get some phonics centers for her b/c that is a weak area for her b/c it BORES her. She is my reluctant reader. She can read well, but only if she HAS too!
Lori

Thank you for your comments. I've looked at the list of books for high school and they seem to be mostly classics that are read in many high schools:

Frankenstein, or, The Modern Prometheus - Mary Shelley.
Emma - Jane Austen.
A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens.
The Time Machine - H.G. Wells.
Animal Farm - George Orwell.
The Mentor Book of Major British Poets -

Of course, she's already read "Emma" and "A Tale of Two Cities", so I guess that does kind of make your point ;)

Also, I know you didn't ask, so feel free to ignore, but if your DD likes workbook based subjects, you might like Alpha Omega LifePac. That's what we've been using for History and English, and we do like the History very much.

Thank you for the compliment on my 'name' :) I never thought of using it on a license plate...something to consider :thumbsup2

Thanks also for your insight on LLATL. We used Rod & Staff our first year (8th grade) and I totally agree that it is very comprehensive, but a LOT of work.

Yes, please let me know how it looks when you get it!

Thank you for your comments. I've looked at the list of books for high school and they seem to be mostly classics that are read in many high schools:

Frankenstein, or, The Modern Prometheus - Mary Shelley.
Emma - Jane Austen.
A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens.
The Time Machine - H.G. Wells.
Animal Farm - George Orwell.
The Mentor Book of Major British Poets -

Of course, she's already read "Emma" and "A Tale of Two Cities", so I guess that does kind of make your point ;)

Also, I know you didn't ask, so feel free to ignore, but if your DD likes workbook based subjects, you might like Alpha Omega LifePac. That's what we've been using for History and English, and we do like the History very much.

It is funny you mention it, I am looking into it for a couple subjects.

Lori

Curious as to how you teach three different grade-levels to three different VERY DEMANDING children, while still having a non-schooler.

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure if you can do it, or what you can do about the tuition. Is there a chance that you can use the already paid tuition as a credit in the future?

I have two fairly demanding boys but we started homeschooling when they were older than yours, so I can't speak directly about how you might manage it. I know I felt pretty much adrift the first year. We had a co-op program set up with the school that the boys had previously attended fulltime but it just kind of fell apart. In the end, what made me feel like I had a handle on homeschooling was buying a curriculum and sticking to it. We used/use K12 and modified it to suit our family and our children's learning needs.

I wish you the best of luck in trying to decide this issue. Stop back and let us know how it's going, OK?

NHWX

We're using TruthQuest for the first time this coming year. We are super excited. Our family is a book loving family, so it was right up our alley!

I would love to find a history program that works for all my children! How do you do it? Do you go back at some point and review the same material with your younger children again as they get older? If so, is your oldest included in this review, or does he continue on with new material? My oldest is in 6th grade, and my younger two are in 3rd and 1st grades. Obviously, I have to modify the reading and work load to fit each child, so at what point do I go back and have my younger two review what was too much for them in the past. I know I am probably giving it too much thought, but I just can't find peace of mind. I would love to know how you do it or what your plans are for your younger two.

Right now, each of mine have their own history textbook. Though it works, it is not ideal. It is so time-consuming to do 3 different time periods.:scared1:

I haven't done this yet, so I can't speak from experience, but you should look into Truthquest. I know they have designed it so that it can be used with all ages.

MomVic5-I have never had them doing the same history before!! In fact, I still don't know if I am gonna do it this year or not!! I have DS12 up to the 1300/1400 ren. period and will probably keep him there. DS8 I am putting in the first volume of Truth Quest with American History for younger students.So far....I may change my mind between now and then:confused3 I am still sorting that out!! I really feel they are too far apart in age and what they have already done, to put together. I would have to modify it to fit one or the other, and for me, it's easier to do them seperately. Now, my bf has 4 kids hsing and the younger 3 she groups together because they are all about 18 mths apart, but the oldest is about 4 years older, so he's doing different stuff-that is how I would do it as well.

Laura-bora, which TQ guide did you get, and what ages are your kids that are doing it? My 4th grader is doing AHYS 1 and I 'think' my 7th grader will be Ren & Reform. I got it in yesterday and it looked awesome:thumbsup2 I was soooo excited!!

Praise 2 Him-
I just got it in yesterday!!The LLATL looks wonderful!! Just enough work without overkill. I brought it to church last night for my friend to see b4 she orders, and she said'Oh, It's beautiful" We were so excited! I think you will be impressed with it. It did seem short (lenthwise) compared to the other grammar/LA books we have used, but they are required to read 3 books. We have the orange books, and the green books, can't wait to start!!

Also, our teaching textbooks arrived and they are awesome looking as well!! I really feel good about this next year-lots of living books and some new ideas! Blessings to all of you as you make your decisions and Happy Ordering!!;)

MomVic5-I have never had them doing the same history before!! In fact, I still don't know if I am gonna do it this year or not!! I have DS12 up to the 1300/1400 ren. period and will probably keep him there. DS8 I am putting in the first volume of Truth Quest with American History for younger students.So far....I may change my mind between now and then:confused3 I am still sorting that out!! I really feel they are too far apart in age and what they have already done, to put together. I would have to modify it to fit one or the other, and for me, it's easier to do them seperately. Now, my bf has 4 kids hsing and the younger 3 she groups together because they are all about 18 mths apart, but the oldest is about 4 years older, so he's doing different stuff-that is how I would do it as well.

Laura-bora, which TQ guide did you get, and what ages are your kids that are doing it? My 4th grader is doing AHYS 1 and I 'think' my 7th grader will be Ren & Reform. I got it in yesterday and it looked awesome:thumbsup2 I was soooo excited!!

We also ordered AHYS 1 for my 5yo(turning 6 this September - this happened way too quickly!). I'm jealous - I'm still waiting for mine to arrive!

Praise 2 Him-
I just got it in yesterday!!The LLATL looks wonderful!! Just enough work without overkill. I brought it to church last night for my friend to see b4 she orders, and she said'Oh, It's beautiful" We were so excited! I think you will be impressed with it. It did seem short (lenthwise) compared to the other grammar/LA books we have used, but they are required to read 3 books. We have the orange books, and the green books, can't wait to start!!

Also, our teaching textbooks arrived and they are awesome looking as well!! I really feel good about this next year-lots of living books and some new ideas! Blessings to all of you as you make your decisions and Happy Ordering!!;)

Thank you, that's so good to know! Okay, now you're getting me excited!:woohoo:

BTW, we've used TT for Algebra 1 and 2 and love them! :love:

Who posted where to find Rosetta Stone programs for less and then where to buy workbooks to add to them?

I thought I could find it easily but I am scrolling through and can't seem to find it.

Thanks,

Dawn

Who posted where to find Rosetta Stone programs for less and then where to buy workbooks to add to them?

I thought I could find it easily but I am scrolling through and can't seem to find it.

Thanks,

Dawn

It was meandtheguys.

It is post #123 on page 13. Sorry I'd have to have two windows open to link it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter