Homemade munchies

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by pampam, Aug 29, 2009.

1. pampam

pampam DIS Veteran

Has anyone ever made munchies other than popcorn? I'm thinking it can't be too hard to make potato chips. I'd really like to try making cheesies, but I've never seen a recipe for that.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. NYCDiane

NYCDiane DIS Veteran

We used to take the raw pillsbury dough biscuits, poke a hole in them like a donut, deep fry them, and roll them in cinnamon sugar. Not sure how healthy they were, but they were delicious!!

4. taychase1015

taychase1015 Mouseketeer

I have made potatoe chips in my microwave and in the deep fryer. I like the microwave the best. I have seen recipes to put them in the oven as well. For the microwave, I have a plastic chip holder that I bought from a kitchen store, I don't remember which one.

5. minniebeth

minniebeth <font color=green>I count on y'all to keep me up t

Well, it's kind of semi-homemade, my DD has food allergies and can't eat Chex Mix but love it, so we make our own: we take shredded wheat (unsweetened) mini squares, cheerios, pretzels, goldfish, and oyster crackers and toss them with some melted butter or margarine mixed with worchestire sauce and then coat the mix. Then we season it with salt, pepper, garlic power and sometimes the cheesy popcorn powder and bake them in the oven at 250 for 30 mins tossing occasionally. It's yummy, much more cost effective and healthy than store bought snacks.

6. MSSANDRA

MSSANDRA DIS Veteran

I was going to suggest chex mix, the origianl or any version of that works for you. Also puppy chow mix (chex ceral with peanut butter and chocolate in powded sugar) is fun.

7. pampam

pampam DIS Veteran

The Chex mix is a great idea. Years ago we used to make it but I had forgotten about it. I'll have to dig out my old recipe, unless someone has a great recipe they would like to share.

The microwave potato chips intrigue me. How do you cook them?

8. pezheadmeg

pezheadmeg feminsit turned fashion student

I do baked tortilla chips all the time.

Just slice one with a pizza cutter, spray with pam, sprinkle with seasoning, and bake at 350 for 10 minutes flipping once. I'll actually make them fresh for lunch the night before. They cook as I do the after dinner dishes.

9. MMluvsWDW

MMluvsWDW Forever Mickey's

I would love to hear more about the potato chips. We always made homemade chex mix I like your additions though! In college I always did trail mix, and granola.

10. tara32

tara32 Mouseketeer

We just came back from PEI and they had chocolate covered chips! LOL
    I had to try them, me being so health-conscious... and they were good!! Esp since they were covered with quality milk chocolate instead of crappy chocolate..how easy they would be to make too, just dip them into some good choc and then put on waxed paper to set.

Sweet/salty= yummo!

11. starwood

starwood <font color=red>This mouse GOT her next cruise<br>

Pita Crisps
    Yields: 4 Servings

Ingredients

2 Pita breads 6" diameter
    2 teaspoons Oregano
    2 teaspoons Margarine
    4 tablespoons Grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions
    Preheat broiler. Split pitas horizontally into 2 rounds. Spread rough edges with margarine. Place on cookie sheet. In a small bowl, toss together oregano and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over margarine. Cut each bread into wedges. Broil about 5" from heating element until crisp, about 2 minutes. Watch carefully! VARIATIONS: experiment with other herbs of your choice such as chives and parsley; or, omit oregano and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve alone or with dips or pates.

12. charming23

charming23 DIS Veteran

I love making Monkey Munch or Puppy chow as it is also called. I try to make my snacks as much as I can since I know mine will be healthier.

13. Mom2Ty&Lins

Mom2Ty&Lins Mouseketeer

We make pizza crackers - Put ritz crackers on a cookie sheet, spoon a little pizza sauce on each one, sprinkle with shredded cheese, put a pepperoni on top and bake in the oven until the cheese is melted. SO good!

I make a candy coated party mix that we call "candy crack" because it is insanely addictive. It is corn chex, cheerios and pecans coated with a mixture of corn syrup, brown sugar and butter. It is kind of a pain to make but so very worth it!

14. pampam

pampam DIS Veteran

The candy crack sounds great. Is there a recipe for it?

15. annsteere

annsteere DIS Veteran

This time of year I crave caramel apples.

I'm making a cheaper and healthier snack this year:
    put small, equal amounts (about 2 Tbs each) of peanut butter and honey in a
    small, microwaveable bowl. Heat 20 seconds and stir so the peanut butter
    melts into the honey. Eat as a dip for apple wedges.

You can make your own hummus by putting garbanzo beans into a food processor with herbs you enjoy. Dip red peppers or crackers into it. Super healthy and quite cheap if you make your own.